The Tube Amp Epiphany
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 1 2008, 02:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I finally had a tube amp epiphany last night ...

Many of you are aware that I built my own tube amp (the AC.1) to try and get some tube tone and understand why they are supposedly so much better than digital modelers.

I have been playing with the AC.1 off and on for a while but never got a sound I even remotely liked, was starting to give up hope as I wanted both a bluesy sound and a high gain sound and this amp just didn't seem capable of either.

Anyway, it turns out that one of the things really turning me off was the bare bones dry amp sound - I had suspected this for a while. A second problem was that if you tried to mic it up and add effects, it was defeated anyway by the loudness of the amp and once again, you just got the horrible (to me ) dry sound.

Sooo, I saw a post somewhere about impulse responses of amp cabs. I use an attenuator that has a line out - tried it in the past and it sounds as fuzzy as hell, just not a nice sound, but if I take the line out into my DAW, add an impulse response for a cab, it starts to sound pretty good. Add a little delay, a smidge of reverb on top of that, and all of a sudden I started to get an awesome sound.

I was jamming to the 3/4 collaboration backing track, and all of a sudden I was starting to get a feel for this fabled pick sensitivity that everyone raves about - I was playing with the volume pot on my guitar to go from clean to distorted, and all of a sudden a whole new realm of expression opened up for me! I was amazed!

So now I have a great mellow bluesy sound out of the AC.1 which is what it was built for - I could probably get the same kind of feel by actually micing it up for real which I will try and do for comparison anyway ...

Next, I need to find a high gain sound that I like - maybe I can add a tubescreamer to get that, or maybe I will build a new amp, but I am now firmly on the road to tube tone!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rockztar
Aug 1 2008, 02:08 PM
GMC:er
sounds grat andrew=) when you get it miced plz make some recording

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 1 2008, 03:24 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Awesome Andrew, patience always pays off!, I bet the AC.1 will be a classic soon wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 1 2008, 03:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Not to give into impulses, but... CLIPZ!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 1 2008, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 1 2008, 10:27 AM) *
Not to give into impulses, but... CLIPZ!

biggrin.gif

Ok, I'll try and record something soon with the impulse response, and I'll work on the micing for later ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Rooks
Aug 1 2008, 04:00 PM
GMC:er
If you build your own tube amp more than once, you definately have too much spare time.

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 1 2008, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (Rooks @ Aug 1 2008, 11:00 AM) *
If you build your own tube amp more than once, you definately have too much spare time.

Very true - and I don't have the time for it now sad.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 1 2008, 04:56 PM
Instructor
Go Andrew!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:28 PM