Barre Chords...
Lucifer
Jun 20 2007, 03:52 PM
GMC:er
I'm a girl- it's probably no excuse but I do find it pretty hard to press my index finger on all 6 strings at one time and let it all ring perfectly. I try my best to use the side of my finger, and things do get easier if I'm just pressing my index against all strings instead of really doing a chord (with other fingers on the strings too), since that way I can exert more force on the index. Is there anything I can do to really succeed in pressing a perfect barre chord?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 20 2007, 03:59 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Lucifer @ Jun 20 2007, 10:52 AM) *
I'm a girl- it's probably no excuse but I do find it pretty hard to press my index finger on all 6 strings at one time and let it all ring perfectly. I try my best to use the side of my finger, and things do get easier if I'm just pressing my index against all strings instead of really doing a chord (with other fingers on the strings too), since that way I can exert more force on the index. Is there anything I can do to really succeed in pressing a perfect barre chord?

Hi there - its just practice really - you need to build up strength in your hand to be able to press the strings hard enough. Keep trying, and just reflect that every time you end up with an aching hand at the end of a practice session, you are a little closer to perfect bar chords smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Lucifer
Jun 20 2007, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 20 2007, 10:59 PM) *
Hi there - its just practice really - you need to build up strength in your hand to be able to press the strings hard enough. Keep trying, and just reflect that every time you end up with an aching hand at the end of a practice session, you are a little closer to perfect bar chords smile.gif

Yah I guess it's the only way, and you're right- my hand really aches, not after a practice session, but only after trying to do 5 perfect barre chords!

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 20 2007, 04:36 PM
I've always been using my thumb on the low E string, then I just have to use my index finger on the 3 highest strings.

+Quote Post
Marraboy
Jun 20 2007, 05:20 PM
Don't give up I reckon it's the same for everybody, it was for me anyway!

Now it's easy but only because I practiced it.

JT

QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 20 2007, 04:36 PM) *
I've always been using my thumb on the low E string, then I just have to use my index finger on the 3 highest strings.

Yuk, I wouldn't do that!

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 20 2007, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (Marraboy @ Jun 20 2007, 04:20 PM) *
Yuk, I wouldn't do that!

Why?

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 20 2007, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi lucifer, I'd suggest if you're not already doing so to try your barre chords further up the neck. If you're doing them near the top of the neck, it's going to be harder. Bends and such are harder there as well. If you move it to around the 12th fret (if you're not already) then it'll be a little easier. Keep trying, we all had problems with barre chords at one point!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 20 2007, 07:12 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 20 2007, 11:36 AM) *

That works for a lot of chords and will give you some chords you can;t even get with a bar, but will run you into trouble eventually if you rely on exclusively on it. Its a useful trick to have as well as bar chords i would suggest smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jun 20 2007, 07:13 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 20 2007, 10:36 AM) *

yeah that's a cool Hendrix thing. i do that sometimes too. Of course you can do both. It's really however it is easiest and fun for you. sometimes i do that just to change things up a little. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 20 2007, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 20 2007, 06:12 PM) *
That works for a lot of chords and will give you some chords you can;t even get with a bar, but will run you into trouble eventually if you rely on exclusively on it. Its a useful trick to have as well as bar chords i would suggest smile.gif

I do know both. I use Sus2 chords ALOT when playing in my band, like this:

--------------9------------------------
--------------9---------------------------
--------------7------------------------
--------------7------------------------
--------------9-----------------------------
--------------------------------------------

Exact same technique as a barre chord is usually played.

This post has been edited by Robin: Jun 20 2007, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 20 2007, 08:27 PM
use very light strings. i use heavy strings, and mostly play a les paul with a baseball bat neck for that matter. but i am a very athletic man with naturally strong wrists. hendrix used 10-38 (super light) strings. in fact he tuned his guitar down a semitone (no surprise he could not keep his strat in tune). and from the looks of him, i think he was reasonably strong. huge hands. if that was ok for him, it should be ok for you. i would do that until you get stronger. if you are talking about acoustic, they make extra light strings for those also.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 20 2007, 08:42 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:17 PM