2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Cannot Practice, Cut hand with rusty nail
Mith
Jun 23 2014, 09:09 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I just got a rusty nail gouge the inside of my right hand. Nothing serious but sure doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to practice for a week which has really got me bummed.

Then again maybe I could use this to work some legato stuff

What a crappy way to start the week

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 23 2014, 09:23 AM
Instructor
Damn that sucks. Although I haven't had an injury like that my fretting hand has been attacked by horseflies so it's got bites and stuff.. really annoying and itchy mad.gif

But you've found the answer. LEGATOOOOOOOO biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 23 2014, 09:24 AM
GMC:er
I feel for ya man. I've been in the same boat all week. You never realize how much you need to be careful with your hands cause if one gets gone for some reason, we're in a world of hurt.

All week I've been thinking about this episode of Sienfeld.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 23 2014, 10:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
I'm sorry to hear that. Take care of you.

I'm very careful with my hands. I slipped last month on the stairs at my office and was funny because I had my laptop in my hands biggrin.gif When I realised that I can't avoid the fall, I threw my laptop and I protected my hands but my legs were very hit and swollen. One week I had very big pains but at least I wasn't forced to interrupt my usual guitar practice.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 23 2014, 11:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 23 2014, 09:09 AM) *
I just got a rusty nail gouge the inside of my right hand. Nothing serious but sure doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to practice for a week which has really got me bummed.

Then again maybe I could use this to work some legato stuff

What a crappy way to start the week

I was getting ready to lacquer a window seat and wiped the dust off , there was a nail sticking out(that the trim carpenter left)caught the meaty part of my picking thumb.Same thing for me, had to switch to lagato for a while(of course the trim carpenter was me blink.gif )

don't forget your tetanus shot

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 23 2014, 01:08 PM
And I just chipped a nail on my left hand

What the hell

Why have you forsaken me hands

I'm gonna have to get all Zakk Wylde about this

But really, I'm like the least clumsiest person ever. Might have to make a sacrifice to lady luck or something

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2014, 04:05 PM
Instructor
I'm sorry about this, but there are lots of things you can do with your left hand. Here are some suggestions:

- As you said the first thing that comes to mind is Legato practice.
- You can also practice bending and vibrato. If you first tap the fret with the finger and then bend it or play vibrato you will be training your left hand to be stronger.
- Theory stuff: notes on the fret board and intervals.
- Practicing scale shapes, triads, new chords, arpeggios and everything related to improvisation.
- Analyzing music that you like. Analyze the structure, arrangements and theory behind songs that you like.

We are already working at Gab's army and this topics are part of your goals so I would use this week to work on them. Let's build an alternative routine!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 23 2014, 04:10 PM
Yeah can totally work on the bending and vibrato too. Really starting to get that under my fingers. Main thing is putting the vibrato on the top of bends. still a little sloppy but its getting there. I'm probably trying to perfect it too much but the aim was to make one of my weaker points my strongest

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2014, 05:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 23 2014, 12:10 PM) *
Yeah can totally work on the bending and vibrato too. Really starting to get that under my fingers. Main thing is putting the vibrato on the top of bends. still a little sloppy but its getting there. I'm probably trying to perfect it too much but the aim was to make one of my weaker points my strongest

Sure, be patient, your fingers and muscles needs to get used to the techniques. Adding vibrato when you are bending requires enough strength from your left hand fingers, and it's like going to the gym, it needs training.

Feel free to post videos here to let me check your progress.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 24 2014, 04:27 AM
I'll make some up soon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2014, 04:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 24 2014, 12:27 AM) *
I'll make some up soon

Great, looking forward your videos...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 29 2014, 01:09 PM
Instructor
Hehe, it seems like Gabi got here first smile.gif

Working on chords shapes and changing them based on a certain formula you can establish, with the metronome can be one very useful left hand drill:

- Find a nice chord progression, such as:

5x553x = Am7/11

x710787 = Em7b13

x25232 = Bm7b13

- set the metronome at a slow tempo
- establish the beats you want the chord changes to occur
- start changing wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 29 2014, 01:57 PM
Well The hole in my hand has closed up. Feels good. Looks like I'm gonna end up with a scar. Chicks dig scars. got some chord practice and practiced my vibratos and bends. Feels like my left hand gained a fair bit of strength doing everything with it for a week.

Gonna spend this week making some vids to see how I have improved the last month.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 30 2014, 10:04 AM
Instructor
Heh! It's great that you can make a good thing out of a bad one wink.gif Now you will have to bring your right hand up to playing level.

Have you already thought on how to do that? I would totally transform the legato drills you did with the left hand into alternate picking ones. It's something that you already know how to play, but you will involve the right hand as well wink.gif What do you think, mate?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2014, 03:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 29 2014, 09:57 AM) *
Well The hole in my hand has closed up. Feels good. Looks like I'm gonna end up with a scar. Chicks dig scars. got some chord practice and practiced my vibratos and bends. Feels like my left hand gained a fair bit of strength doing everything with it for a week.

Gonna spend this week making some vids to see how I have improved the last month.

It's awesome how sometimes our body and mind needs some rest to incorporate movements and concepts. Sometimes giving up for some days can be more effective than keep obsessive trying to master something.

Looking forward your videos!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 2 2014, 06:09 AM
I'm hoping to get one or 2 done after work tonight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 3 2014, 06:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 2 2014, 05:09 AM) *
I'm hoping to get one or 2 done after work tonight.

Does it still hurt? If so, don't push it just yet, ok?

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 10 2014, 04:50 AM
I've healed up well, nice scar on the inside of my hand. but playing better than ever. Thanks for all the tips and concerns

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 10 2014, 07:31 AM
Instructor
Great to hear that mate smile.gif Sometimes, a break, even if it is an undesired one, will aid us in coming back with a fresh approach and perspective on whatever it is we practice.

I don't mean this like in 'lay the guitar down fro one year', but usually have a day a week in which you don't touch the axe at all smile.gif I remember this video I posted, in which the great Victor Wooten had something very important to say - check out his words in the beginning:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2014, 02:34 PM
Instructor
Great to know that you are ready to play again! That video by Victor is very ON TOPIC. Good post Cosmin.

Have you read Wooten's book called "The Music Lesson"? I haven't but I think it could be very interesting to read it.

http://www.themusiclesson.com/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:26 AM