Jazz Fusion
Im here to succe...
Apr 25 2015, 09:54 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys, i've recently become really inspired by Jazz Fusion. Jeff Beck & Robben Ford being too of my biggest inspirations at the moment and i want to know how i can experiment in that style. I've been playing blues/rock for a long time now, and i feel this genre could really take my playing to the next level but i'm unsure how to approach it.

Is there an approach i should take, rather than just randomly selecting jazz fusion lessons here at GMC?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 25 2015, 05:49 PM
The fusion lessons that I've seen here are excellent.
I would sign up or join one teachers study groups (or however they do the formal lessons here).

My opinion, as someone who plays a lot of fusion ...
Start listening to and learning a little about jazz. That's 50% of where it comes from.
Robben Ford is a really good straight jazz player. Same with guys like Scott Henderson or Alan Holdsworth.
Jeff Beck, possibly my all-time favorite guitar player, doesn't really play 'jazz' per se but he's very well versed in jazz as a listener and has adopted many of the concepts of the great improvising jazz musicians. He also primarily plays with musicians that are more known to jazz fans than (initially) rock fans.

The good fusion players know how to play over chord changes. Harmony and theory are your friends.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 25 2015, 05:50 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2015, 06:10 PM
Instructor
That's a very interesting direction! We have lots of lessons that cover jazz and fusion so you can learn a lot from here. In order to be organized and start with the basics, you should check this:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51072
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonseries/Jazz-Notes/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Apr 26 2015, 07:30 PM
Awesome, Listening & learning it is then, i'm intrigued smile.gif

Thanks guys

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Apr 26 2015, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 26 2015, 08:03 PM
You interested in a relatively comprehensive 'listening' list - ?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2015, 10:14 PM
GMC Founder
I agree with the advice given here. On top o that I'd like to add...

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Apr 25 2015, 10:54 AM) *
Hi guys, i've recently become really inspired by Jazz Fusion. Jeff Beck & Robben Ford being too of my biggest inspirations at the moment and i want to know how i can experiment in that style. I've been playing blues/rock for a long time now, and i feel this genre could really take my playing to the next level but i'm unsure how to approach it.

Is there an approach i should take, rather than just randomly selecting jazz fusion lessons here at GMC?

The typical way to do this is - is to start breaking down the playing of your favorite guitarists like a madman (transcribing their solos and analyzing their note/scale choice). Add this sure is an effective way.

However I see disadvantages with it:

* The "clone factor" is big. What I mean by this is that if you get their style down, you're going to have to spend the same amount of time getting rid of it - if you want your own unique style.

* I personally don't find this method of learning that fun. I always felt it was really slow for me, I guess I never gave it enough time to develop my ear etc. I think my ear and ability to recognize relative pitch is kinda bad (and absolute pitch is completely non existent)

So what I did instead - was to just learn 1-2 solos form my favorite guitarists, not more. However I would spend a lot of time researching about them and how they approach music, theory, practicing etc.

I found this gave me the right balance of inspiration/insights without cloning too much. It also made me focus on diversity, so I'd learn a lot of stuff from different guitarists - instead of completely mastering the style of just one or two .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Apr 27 2015, 08:59 AM
Very interesting Kristofer, but how do i also avoid cloning the lessons given on here? I notice that 25-30% of what i play on guitar are exact replicates of blues/rock lessons i've learnt on GMC.

And yes, definitely Klasaine! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Apr 27 2015, 09:00 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 27 2015, 10:55 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Apr 27 2015, 09:59 AM) *
Very interesting Kristofer, but how do i also avoid cloning the lessons given on here? I notice that 25-30% of what i play on guitar are exact replicates of blues/rock lessons i've learnt on GMC.

Well I am obviously a bit biased here, but I don't see cloning a GMC lesson as a big problem. Because "at worst" the lesson will be at attempting to clone a famous guitarist - so you will be cloning a clone. In other words it will be harder to hear where your influences are coming from. (wow this might be the messiest explanation int he world wacko.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Apr 27 2015, 12:38 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 27 2015, 09:55 AM) *
Well I am obviously a bit biased here, but I don't see cloning a GMC lesson as a big problem. Because "at worst" the lesson will be at attempting to clone a famous guitarist - so you will be cloning a clone. In other words it will be harder to hear where your influences are coming from. (wow this might be the messiest explanation int he world wacko.gif )

Haha ok cool, i've always been a little worried about that. Maybe i need to start thinking about taking small voicings etc from lessons and incorporating them into my playing, rather than learning a full lesson, and basically being a clone smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 27 2015, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. You have to totally immerse yourself in only one players style for awhile to turn into a clone. I will say though that it's really important to go back to original sources. If the 'lesson' is a Scott Henderson style lesson - go and listen to some Scott Henderson (and try and learn something from him). This is also important for another and generally less understood reason. What is it about a particular player that attracts you? Is it note choice? Is it their time and feel? Is it their tone? Is it their writing? One of those things? All of those things? Knowing that will help you figure out what it is about your own playing that needs adjusting (or not?).

So here's my list. I emphasize 'my' because that's all it is - my list. What I like and/or think is important.

JAZZ/ROCK FUSION GUITAR …

*This list is a little more ‘jazz’/rock fusion focused (as opposed to rock/jazz). Or at least equally weighted with the jazz and the rock influences.

Billy Cobham – Spectrum
Tony Williams Lifetime – Believe It
Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds of Fire and/or Inner Mounting Flame
Jeff Beck – Blow by Blow and Wired
Crusaders – Those Southern Knights (w/Larry Carlton)
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam (w/Larry Carlton)
Lee Ritenour – Captains Journey
George Benson – Breezin and Weekend in L.A. (live)
John Abercrombie – Timeless
Pat Metheny – Bright Size Life and American Garage
Grant Green – Iron City and Live at the Lighthouse
Return to Forever – Hymn of the 7th Galaxy (w/ Bill Connors)
Al Dimeola – Elegant Gypsy
Melvin Sparks – Sparks
Terje Rypdal – Works and After the Rain
TJ Kirk – If 4 was 1
John Scofield – Hand Jive, Still Warm and Time on My Hands
Robben Ford – Inside Story, the 1st ‘Blue Line’ record and Jing Chi ‘Live at Yoshis’
Yellow Jackets – Yellow Jackets and Mirage a Trois
LA Express – Tom Cat (w/Robben Ford)
Pat Martino – Joyous Lake (and Consciousness – straight jazz)
Mike Stern (w/Miles Davis) – We Want Miles (live)
Bill Frisell – East/West and Blues Dream
Kazumi Watanabe – To Chi Ka and Kilowatt
Wayne Krantz – Long to be Loose and 2-Drink Minimum
Scott Henderson – Tribal Tech X and Dog Party
Greg Howe – ‘Extraction’ w/Dennis Chambers and Victor Wooten

This is obviously just a partial list and as mentioned at the top, it’s jazz/rock focused as opposed to ‘rock’/jazz. So what does that mean? Generally, more complicated chord changes and actual 'improvisation' as opposed to worked out (composed) solos.
More on the rock tip would of course include Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Jimmy Herring, etc. There’s also a lot of instrumental prog and metal that incorporate some jazz concepts.

If you dig a particular artist from this sampling, buy another record from the same artist. Also try to find them as sidemen on other’s albums.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 27 2015, 04:01 PM

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Apr 27 2015, 03:43 PM
Wow thanks very much, ill start working through them.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 27 2015, 04:07 PM
I edited my (list) post a bit.

Don't feel that you have to listen to all of that.
Keep in mind ... that's my collected list of faves that I've compiled over literally DECADES.
I spent a lot of time with each one of those records/players (too much time with some laugh.gif and I'm working on NOT sounding like a few of those guys).

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Apr 28 2015, 02:21 PM
Haha ok cool

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Apr 28 2015, 07:16 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 27 2015, 03:07 PM) *
I edited my (list) post a bit.

Don't feel that you have to listen to all of that.
Keep in mind ... that's my collected list of faves that I've compiled over literally DECADES.
I spent a lot of time with each one of those records/players (too much time with some laugh.gif and I'm working on NOT sounding like a few of those guys).

Do you have any 'must see' interviews or documentaries that may influence me?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 29 2015, 12:12 AM
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Apr 28 2015, 10:16 AM) *
Do you have any 'must see' interviews or documentaries that may influence me?

Honestly ... no.
You can certainly youtube live playing and interviews by any of the above mentioned guitar players or bands.

*Immerse yourself in listening. All those records I mentioned - they hold up as complete entities. Don't get 'greatest hits' or anthology packages and don't just torrent (or spotify) it all out of order. Listen as the artist intended.

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Apr 29 2015, 08:14 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 29 2015, 12:12 AM) *
Honestly ... no.
You can certainly youtube live playing and interviews by any of the above mentioned guitar players or bands.

*Immerse yourself in listening. All those records I mentioned - they hold up as complete entities. Don't get 'greatest hits' or anthology packages and don't just torrent (or spotify) it all out of order. Listen as the artist intended.

Yes sir! wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:39 AM