Figuring Out Free Plugins
jstcrsn
Nov 22 2013, 02:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
looks like I am going to have some free time, so I am going to try to record using plugins, never dome that before.
I like 80,s metal thru todays high gain stuff, and am using reaper.
do you guys know some threads that can get me going in the right direction, Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 22 2013, 02:54 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! This sounds great! Todd is the king of plug in emulators but I remember that this one is free and sounds good. Maybe you'd like to give it a try:

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com.ar/

I'm really curious to know what you get with them.

Todd usually talks about using a tube screamer (ibanez or any copy) as a pre-amp before a plug in emulator to get the best from it. So if you have an overdrive you could try it.

This is another one which is not free but you can try it for 15 days:

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/

Thread at GMC: LINK

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 22 2013, 03:17 PM
GMC:er
Not the same as real pedals but I've been enjoying these boosters for a while now;

http://www.soft-amp.com/softdrive-gv

http://www.soft-amp.com/charbooster

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 22 2013, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Agree with Gabriel. LePou plug-ins are a must try. They really do copy not only the freq response but also the dynamics of amps. For example Mesa (LeCto) amp sim is same overcompressed as original (at least IMHO)

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 22 2013, 05:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 22 2013, 02:54 PM) *
Hi mate! This sounds great! Todd is the king of plug in emulators but I remember that this one is free and sounds good. Maybe you'd like to give it a try:

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com.ar/

I'm really curious to know what you get with them.

Todd usually talks about using a tube screamer (ibanez or any copy) as a pre-amp before a plug in emulator to get the best from it. So if you have an overdrive you could try it.

This is another one which is not free but you can try it for 15 days:

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/

Thread at GMC: LINK

sorry for my stupidity, I don't have a clue what to do ( following the lepou link)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2013, 12:27 AM

Well, go there and download the plugins smile.gif Then install them. Then pull them up in REAPER!

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 22 2013, 11:27 AM) *
sorry for my stupidity, I don't have a clue what to do ( following the lepou link)

Welcome to the spiff world of PLUGINS!! smile.gif Glad to see you diving in!!! Looks like GABE has put up some great links for you to get started. I"m a MAC but many plugins are cross platform. Of course, I have to say GO DOWNLOAD OVERLOUD TH2!!! Since it's my fav plugin smile.gif I like them all for various reasons, but when it comes time to record, I go straight to overloud. But download them all and see what you like.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 22 2013, 08:28 AM) *
looks like I am going to have some free time, so I am going to try to record using plugins, never dome that before.
I like 80,s metal thru todays high gain stuff, and am using reaper.
do you guys know some threads that can get me going in the right direction, Thanks

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 23 2013, 12:28 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 23 2013, 12:49 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 23 2013, 12:27 AM) *
Well, go there and download the plugins smile.gif Then install them. Then pull them up in REAPER!

which ones

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2013, 12:57 AM
Well, your on windows right? So download the ones under WINDOWS VST smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 22 2013, 06:49 PM) *
which ones

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 23 2013, 02:38 AM
Learning Tone Master
this does not seem to be installing, any help would be hot

they download as some zipped pdf that I can't open( the Lepou plugins)

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Nov 23 2013, 02:40 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2013, 04:47 AM
Zipped PDF? PDF files are document files? DARIUS is a big fan of the lepou plugins and he's a windows user. PM him and link him to this thread.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 22 2013, 08:38 PM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2013, 10:29 AM
CURSN: I've got an idea. Skip those for now and try something a bit easier to download/install. E.G. go get

1.)Scuffham Amps S-Gear (2 week free demo)
2.)Overloud TH2 also has a demo
3.)Guitar Rig also has a demo

All of these are really easy to download and they install themselves. You want the windows version obviously smile.gif You can just google the plugin name with "demo" and "download" and the links will pop up. Just to make life easy, I googled the windows version of S-Gear for ya smile.gif Here is the link.

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/download/file/...-xpvista78-v226

These all will show up inside your favorite daw. Or you can use them as stand alone apps. I"m guessing you are using Reaper? I didn't see you mention a daw. I don't know if the lepou plugins will run outside of a daw, but then again I don't use them.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 22 2013, 08:38 PM) *

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 23 2013, 11:32 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Jtscrn -

I just took a look at the le pou web page and it is confusing where to go and what to download. It's confusing as it's a web blog with the links scattered through the text.

As far as I can make out you should look at the right hand side of the page. Over there there are two text box panels one n green and one in blue. Ignore the green one, it's the blue one that has the downloads you need. Those are sorted by the OS/computer type you have. I think you'll have to download the 'amp sim pack' for your type of computer plus any 'skins', additional amp head sims etc that you want, which again have to be the version for your computer.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 23 2013, 11:32 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Indeed pdf files are not plug-in files. You need to copy .dll files to Your vst plug-in shared folder. SometiemsYou need to verify the direction and refresh in the DAW option. First You have to make sure You use 32 or 64 bit of the DAW and download corect plu-in format. Extract archive rar or zip and copy only the *****.dll file to shared vst folder. Usually You'll have to restart Your DAW to make sure it works. If You need any help just ask smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 23 2013, 12:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 23 2013, 10:29 AM) *
CURSN: I've got an idea.

thanks todd, over loud went straight in, I have gtr rig 4 and can't seem to get a good sound(it could be me not knowing how to get a high gain sound), for some reason S-gear is on my desktop but I cant get it into reaper

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 23 2013, 11:32 AM) *
. Extract archive rar or zip and copy only the *****.dll file to shared vst folder. Usually You'll have to restart Your DAW to make sure it works. If You need any help just ask smile.gif

I think this might be the problem, do I need to be saving these to a shared folder and if so where is that. P.s. I cant even open them to get to the .dll file

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Nov 23 2013, 12:56 PM

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Nov 26 2013, 08:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
I also recommend an amp sim called AcmeBarGig Head Case. It's not only an amp sim, but you can make your own heads within it biggrin.gif

There's a free demo you can download here. Let me know what you think wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Nov 26 2013, 10:57 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 23 2013, 12:50 PM) *
thanks todd, over loud went straight in, I have gtr rig 4 and can't seem to get a good sound(it could be me not knowing how to get a high gain sound), for some reason S-gear is on my desktop but I cant get it into reaper

I think this might be the problem, do I need to be saving these to a shared folder and if so where is that. P.s. I cant even open them to get to the .dll file

You should have a file: Computer/OS/Programs files/VST Plugins

1) Put the .dll files in there.

2) Open your DAW.... e.g. in Reaper you go to the top bar open Options/preferances/VST and rescan for new VST plugins...browse to the
Computer/OS/Programs files/VST Plugins....The when you open effects you should have everything open up inside the DAW.

Good luck smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 26 2013, 06:01 PM
Learning Roadie
If you're into 80s metal you also need some strings and synths, right? smile.gif

Check out some free plugins i use for keyboards (but i gather you were looking for guitar sims)

Phutura
SuperWave P8
Serenity
Church Organ

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 27 2013, 10:23 AM
The lepou installs are a bit more involved than some of the more streamlined packages (like overloud) but it's being developed by one guy and it's free so folks learn enough I.T. bits to get around it. It's just an amp sim though so no effects which is why I like things like overloud where it's amp sims/cabinets/effects/ on in one interface saved as one patch. But then again, it's not free either smile.gif

S gear should launch within reaper. Inside reaper, when you bring up the effects menu there is a type in box and you can type "scuffham" and it should eliminate all the plugins in view except s-gear.

Todd

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 23 2013, 06:50 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:53 AM