Etude's, Writing an Etude
MyNinjaWay
Oct 30 2008, 10:23 PM
GMC:er
hello all,

Lately I have been really digging the Etude lessons i've been finding on the site and so I've come up with a few questions regarding them...

firstly, what exactly defines an Etude? I have noticed they always sound rather classical

and secondly... how would one go about writing their own.... ?... without it sounding too much like other ones or sound like your ripping anyone off....because they do tend to rely on certain patterns and notes yes?

oh well hope someone in this vast guitar knowledge base can sort me out :-)

cheers

-Tom

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 30 2008, 10:35 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Hey Tom-

Etude means study....so in regards to music it means a study of a certain musical idea or a technique for the instrument it is written on.

To write your own- you may want to look at a technique you aren't so great at- then try to compose a nice sounding tune that uses this technique. If you really like the sound of the etude- then practising the technique becomes less boring- and alot more enjoyable wink.gif

Type in etude in youtube...you'll see the huge amount of etudes being practised.

But the thing is these etudes aren't just studies in technique- so often they are so well written that they are appreciated as great pieces of music and that's why there are many "famous" etudes that non musicians enjoy listening to.

Hope that helps a little.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Oct 30 2008, 10:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Our good old wiki explains you what an etude is. smile.gif

When I write an etude, I normally just fool round with my guitar. When it sounds good, I keep it. Sometimes, I prefer however to open Guitar Pro and just start with a chord. I think about what could go next and still stay classic, I don´t intergrate any jazzy elements. I think that you need to have basic knowledge of theory to compose an etude or whatever. Cadences, chord positions on your guitar and so on.

I hope this helps.

Edit: DeepRoots finished first. mad.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Oct 30 2008, 10:38 PM

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Oct 30 2008, 10:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Ninja ph34r.gif

Etude, or Study is an instrumental musical piece made exclusively for practicing certain skill smile.gif

And how to write it? Well you first have to know what you want with the etude, what skill you want to practice. And then you compose the etude strictly for that purpose. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 31 2008, 12:06 AM
As mentioned above - But usually shorter than a full blown song, so it concentrates on the technique its trying to teach. I asked the same question a few months back.

mh

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 31 2008, 12:09 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Here's one of my favourite chopin etudes:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1JQk90UbY

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
MyNinjaWay
Oct 31 2008, 07:09 AM
oh ok. thanks alot everyone! you have been most helpful :-) as you may have guessed i'm not down with all the lingo huh.gif

but to be more precise on my first question... maybe I was meat to be asking more about writing a neo-classical style etude?

like the instructors such as emir hot and marcus lavendell seem to be so good at ;-)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor
You can take a minor scale and a harmonic minor scale, and compose etude using these scales. Like Dejan and others already said, with etude it's all about what you wanna practice really. If you wanna do some arpeggios, then compose a small number of chords, and play arpeggios on top of them. This way you will compose a small arpeggio etude using some minor scale. Or you can for example practice alternate runs in harmonic minor scale, so you can make a progression, and play runs on top of it. This way you will make a alternate picking harmonic minor etude. These are all components that can help you later to make neoclassical songs, and I think you wanna make a neoclassical song/arrangement, not etude.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MyNinjaWay
Nov 2 2008, 11:01 AM
Hey Ivan, cool... thanks alot for that... yeah I do want to start composing some neoclassical stuff... well, thats my goal wink.gif
it's I just asked the whole Etude question because when someone posts neo-classical stuff they called it an etude... so I kinda paired the 2 together...my mistake, but now that i've got that sorted out and have a starting place... I can get into it biggrin.gif yay!

thanks again to everyone!! this site rules!

+Quote Post
MikeRidenour
Nov 2 2008, 10:22 PM
Etudes are study pieces focusing mainly on technique. Most guitar etudes written in the 19th century, (since this period was the golden age of the guitar), centered on a technical right hand and/or left hand fingering pattern. Look at the Giuliani Right Hand Exercises Gerardo has been posting. Each one of these 120 short exercises focuses on a right hand fingering pattern. Villa-Lobos, a 20th century classical guitar composer, wrote twelve etudes for guitar. Many of his etudes concentrated on right hand fingering patterns as well.

If you wanted to write an electric guitar etude, you could possibly select a major and/or minor five-string arpeggio shape and compose a piece concentrating on the right hand sweeping across five strings. You could also compose an etude for the left hand that focused on playing thirds up and down a major scale – three notes per string. The possibilities are endless. You could really think of any technical issue guitar players are faced with and write an etude around it.

--------------------
Classical And Electric Guitar Instructor
M.M. Guitar Performance
Visit The Guitar Academy of Western North Carolina
Send Me An Email

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 2 2008, 10:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MyNinjaWay @ Nov 2 2008, 11:01 AM) *
Hey Ivan, cool... thanks alot for that... yeah I do want to start composing some neoclassical stuff... well, thats my goal wink.gif
it's I just asked the whole Etude question because when someone posts neo-classical stuff they called it an etude... so I kinda paired the 2 together...my mistake, but now that i've got that sorted out and have a starting place... I can get into it biggrin.gif yay!

thanks again to everyone!! this site rules!

No problem man, neo-classical composing can be really interesting, I hope you have fun, and post some stuff when you're done so we can discuss. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:53 PM