Bend-up Vibrato, and down for that matter ...
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 15 2007, 11:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok, so I can do a wicked vibrato on an unbent string, downward bends I can do ok but vibrato on notes bent upwards are hard for me. I kind of know the technique (hook your thumb over the top of the neck and really move your wrist) but it isn't coming naturally. I know the answer is to practice, but can anyone suggest any techniques, or exercises that have helped them with this?

Thanks,

Andrew

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
RIP Dime
Mar 17 2007, 05:59 PM
GMC:er
Man that's a good question. As for the actual technique with the left hand, I don't know(lol), but after watching my hand I do it alot like Marty Friedman does, I just kinda push the string up until I hit the right pitch(I use my ear), then I just kinda shake the note like normal. But I find it very hard for me to apply vibrato to a bent note with 1 finger, so what I usually do is use my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th finger to actually fret the note, and I place all the other fingers above it on the string just to add some strength and control(reinforced bending I think it's called).
It's kinda hard for me to explain, but another thing I like to do is watch videos of great guitar players and watch for what they do, here's one vid he does vibrato on up-bends all over the place, he uses reinforced bending also.

I hope I helped a little.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 19 2007, 03:41 AM
GMC:er
For once I think I can actually help you, Andrew.

First of all, rather than using a tuner to make sure you're in pitch, I suggest you do unison bends. I think that's the right name for it, but let me explain this just to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

For example, fret the note D on the 7th fret of the 3rd string. Also fret the note E on the 5th fret of the 2nd string. Strike both strings at the same time, and bend the D note up to E. If you have the distortion and volume cranked up, it should be extremely obvious when the two notes are in tune.

You can do this trick for bends on the 3rd and 2nd strings. I think it works much better than using a tuner, because you can actually hear the pitch changing and leveling out. Once you have that sound memorized, you can bend in pitch anywhere on the guitar.

Once you can accurately bend in pitch, it's time to work on your vibrato. There's no easy way to do it... just raise and lower the note really fast. The hardest part is keeping your vibrato in tune. Now, as an exercise, bend a string and throw on some vibrato. When you're done, DON'T release the note. Check it against another note on the 2nd or 1st string, and make sure it's in tune.

IF IT'S NOT IN TUNE, you should do the unison bend again, and try to find out if you're too flat or sharp. Applying vibrato is easy, but returning to pitch every time takes lots of practice.

More tips...

* If you can, practice bending on heavy guitar strings. Once you have strong fingers, you only need to worry about training your ear.

* Practice the bending/vibrato all over the guitar. It feels slightly different depending on where you bend the string.

* If you're causing a lot of string noise during bends, you can mute all of it by taking your left hand index finger and putting it over the other strings.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 19 2007, 01:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Thanks Dime and Radar - a couple of very useful tips - I will try them both out tonight when I practice!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:49 PM