> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Starting A New Band With Female Vocals
Power_Arctica
Aug 19 2009, 01:10 PM
GMC:er
Hola Gabi, como andas?
Recurro a tu experiencia para q me aconsejes: Estoy formando una nueva banda con una vocalista femenina, ayer fue el 1er ensayo y tocamos un par de covers q habiamos elegido (2 de Ozzy, uno de Alice Cooper y otro de JUdas Priest).
El problema surgio con la aifnacion cuando empece a ver q tonos le quedaban mejor a la cantante:
Ozzy Perry Mason, esta en Drop Db (Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb...creo q es drop db eso)
Ozzy Mama im coming home, esta en Eb
A Cooper Poison, esta en afinacion standard
Judas Priest Breaking the Law, afinacion standard

Estaba tocando 2 temas en una afinacion y 2 con otra, con la misma guitarra. Solo es medio tono de distancia pero no me quedaba perfectamente afinada, tardaba un rato en estabilizarse el cambio... y en medio de un ensayo, es mucha perdida de tiempo. Aparte no creo q sea normal andar cambiando de afinacion cada 2 temas...

Hay temas q al tener muchos arreglos con cuerdas al aire se me complican para transportarlos sin tener q cambiar la afinacion. Mis dudas son:

Como hacer para encontrar la mejor afinacion y tono para la cantante?
Es normal q la guitarra no quede bien despues de hacer esos cambio de medio tono en la afinacion? (La mande a calibrar, tenia unas clavijas Grover pero le puse unas Gotoh, le puse cuerdas 010...)
Hay q prescindir de los temas q a la cantante le queden muy bajos o muy altos, respecto a la afinacion q quede establecia?

Te adjunto un audio de ella para q tengas idea del timbre de voz q tiene, x si te sirve de ayuda para aconsejarme mejor!

Como siempre, Muchas Gracias!!

Abrazo,
Mariano

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  final_mix.mp3 ( 3.7MB ) Number of downloads: 154

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2009, 06:41 AM
Instructor
Hola Mariano! Canta muy bien! Bienvenido al mundo de las cantantes femeninas! smile.gif
Mi experiencia con respecto a los covers me permite hoy decir que con una cantante femenina no se puede hacer cualquier tema de cover. En general salvo que elijas cantantes ue canten agudo como Bruce Dickinson o Axl Rose, a las cantantes femeninas le van a quedar graves los temas. Esto hace que tengas que trasportarlos. El problema es que hay alguno temas que no pueden ser transportados porque al hacerlo se pierde la escencia del tema. Por ejemplo "Enter Sandman"... tiene que ser en Mi si o si.. a lo sumo en Mi bemol o en Fa si cambias la afinación, pero te tiene que quedar la 6ta al aire en el riff. Por eso tienen que tener cuidado con la elección de los covers. Hay temas que los podes trasponer tranquilamente pero con los temas que tienen riffs importantes es mas dificil.
Con respecto al cambio de afinacion, olvidate de hacer ese cambio en vivo ya que es comun que la guitarra no quede bien afianzada en una primera instancia. Necesitas tener dos guitarras. Yo lo unico que suelo cambiar es de afinacion standard a dropped D. Pero cambiar la afinación de toda la guitarra en el medio de un show es demasiado.
En el caso de los covers que eligieron, te conviene tocar todo en afinacion standard (traspone a y para Perry Mason bajar la 6ta a Re. Total si le subis un poco los temas de Ozzy no creo que tenga problema la cantante. Nosotros haciamos Perry Mason! Temazo.
Con respecto al tono o mejor dicho rango ideal de la cantante para la composición es prueba y error.. maquetear y grabar demos y trasponer los temas o re arreglar las melodias para ver a donde garpa más...
bueno, cualquier cosa que necesiten avisame!
abrazo!

Gabriel

English Explanation: Mariano is asking me about how to choose a metal cover when you have a Female singer in your band. He is forming a new band with a Female singer and asks me because of my experience with my band CIRSE.
He chose this covers:
Ozzy Perry Mason, (Dropped Db)
Ozzy Mama im coming home, (Eb tunning)
A Cooper Poison, (Standard tunning)
Judas Priest Breaking the Law (Standard tunning)

I explained him that when you have a female singer it's difficult to do male singers covers until you choose songs from singers like Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Robert Plant or Chris Cornell. In this cases it isn't necesary to transpose the songs. When you have to transpose the songs you have to be sure that the escence of the song isn't in the riff or tonality. I gave him the example of "Enter Sandman". You can't cover this song with a Female singer because Hetfield's voice is too low for a girl. You can't neither transpose the song because of the main riff.
Anothe thing that MAriano asked was about changing the tunning of a guitar during a show from standard tunnin to dropped D. I said that it was impossible to do fast and I gave him two solutions.
The first one and the more expensive is to have two guitars. The cheapest way is to play every song with standard tunning (if the songs allow it).
Finally we talked about how to know the perfect range of a singer. I answered that the only way to know it is to record different demos in different vocal ranges to know how the singers fits and sounds better.

That's all! smile.gif

Gab.-

edited: I added the english explanation.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Aug 22 2009, 06:57 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
Aug 21 2009, 04:36 PM
Gracias Gabi! Buenisima la explicacion ya que me pasa todo lo q dijiste!! jaja
Como dijiste, deje la afinacion standard... y pense tambien tal cual lo q dijiste vos! Me dije "La dejo afinada standard, y como mucho hago un drop D...nada mas con esta viola"...
Estamos elegiendo los temas con mas recaudo ahora... como bien dijiste hay temas q resulta imposible o muy dificil tranportalos por el tema de las cuerdas al aire... asi q buen, la estamos manejando!

Gracias x la data, y espero q si nos afianzamos con esta nueva banda se pueda llegar a compartir un escenario con Cirse, ya q tambien somos de zona sur!! jeje

Abrazo!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 22 2009, 10:09 AM
I could understand, but my Spanish is not good enough to reply tongue.gif

This was also my experience with playing with Female vocalist: she usually ask me to transpose it to higher pitch.
Me on the other hand I always move to lower pitch when I sing tongue.gif
I usually find that the transposing which usually works better is half a tone, full tone or a full fifth.
With transposing, in general, there are songs which work just fine but some songs won't work, as Gabriel gave the Enter Sandman example.
And I think transposing can be trick not only because of the main riffing. The song may lose the "punch" or become too treble... It can lose the essence in other ways than the guitar!!
I suggest you to be very critical if the song sounds fine on the transposed pitch. And also look for songs which fits the vocalist. The fact that the vocalist can sing it in pitch doesn't mean it will sound good wink.gif
But the fact that female vocalists are not that common, in cover bands, can also be something to differentiate your band from the others.

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 22 2009, 10:12 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 22 2009, 03:30 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi guys,

As stated in the posting guidelines we're happy to allow native language posts as long as there is a translation in English as well - our reasoning behind this is discussed in the guidelines - thanks!

Andrew for and on behalf of the Moderators

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2009, 06:37 PM
Instructor
Thanks Andrew for posting the guidelines about this.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:48 AM