What An Incentive!
JTaylor
May 26 2012, 03:57 PM
Apprentice Roadie
My wife and I were talking about things this morning and the subjects of guitar amps, money, and cigarettes somehow all came up. She told me if I quit smoking (which I am trying to do anyway), I can have the money I would have spent on them to go towards a very nice amp (I want an Orange, but still not sure). She also said she would give an additional 25% of what I save to go towards the new amp. Now, all I gotta do is get rid of those nasty things! cool.gif It will take a few weeks to stop, but I will keep you all posted. Though I know this was covered in someone else's thread here recently, any encouragement is greatly appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 26 2012, 04:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Your wife is a good ONE 25 % already in background ! wink.gif

Hey man, when ever you get weak about cigarette make 20 sit-ups and keep on shouting

ORANGE AMP ORANGE AMP DON'T WANT THAT CIGARETTE,

i am sure you gonna make it not only for yourself - for your family too !

I am looking forward to see and hear a record from you with that orange amp rolleyes.gif

Be Tough !

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: May 26 2012, 04:20 PM
Reason for edit: Languaag.

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 26 2012, 04:29 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hehe, wait till she says, get rid of these amps and you will have .... ;-)

Smoking is bad, hope you can leave that soon. smile.gif Congrats.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 26 2012, 04:33 PM
GMC:er
WOW!! That really is a great incentive!!
Good luck JT!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 26 2012, 04:40 PM
Even though quitting smoking is not easy, its not as hard as you think it is. Smoking is more of a habit than an addiction. You need to gradually disassociate smoking with other actions in your life, like when you smoke when you first wake up, or right after you eat. Its a lot easier to quit one cigarette at a time then it is quitting cigarettes altogether.

The is all in line with the philosophy of Kaizen - the practice of small, incremental, and gradual change. It really does work.

You also need to convince yourself that you're not a smoker anymore. Being a smoker becomes part of your personality, therefore characterizing yourself as a person who doesn't smoke will make smoking less appealing.

Keep in mind that you don't have to quit over night. You can do it over the course of many months. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, you can reduce that number by one every week.

If you don't already have an exercise routine, I suggest that you start one, and do it with the intention of getting in shape, not just as another method to quit smoking. If you put your heart into it, you will see that smoking is impeding that goal. You will then sincerely want to quit, because you'll see smoking as more of a nuisance than a necessity.

Set a goal to enter a 5k race by the end of the summer. It seems like a monumental task, but I can assure you it isn't. Its much easier than you think it is. You can most definitely be in shape to do it in three months... if you put your mind to it. Just remember Kaizen, and you'll be able to do it.

Resist the urge to replace smoking with drinking caffeine. Thats just replacing one vice with another.

Once you do quit and have a regular exercise program, you'll notice how great food tastes, the true smell of fresh air, and feel the rush of oxygen when you run. Its really a great feeling. You'll also notice that the little smurf between your legs will work much better laugh.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 26 2012, 07:32 PM
Instructor
Yes, Mudbone has it right. Kaizen is a great, practical approaching to making positive changes in your life. (Can also be applied to guitar practise !)

Cook a load of sausages up.. when you feel the need for a ciggy, put a sausage in your mouth instead ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 26 2012, 04:40 PM) *
. You'll also notice that the little smurf between your legs will work much better laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Let's not be polite about this, we might as well be brutal. Stop smoking or your nob will fall off ! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2012, 07:36 PM
Instructor
I have never get the habit of smoking so I can't help with it but let me say that your desicion is really good! and adding that incentive will makes the things even happier. Also congrats about your wife, she really want to see you well and happy. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 26 2012, 11:40 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 26 2012, 02:32 PM) *
Yes, Mudbone has it right. Kaizen is a great, practical approaching to making positive changes in your life. (Can also be applied to guitar practise !)

Definitely worth trying! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Let's not be polite about this, we might as well be brutal. Stop smoking or your nob will fall off ! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 27 2012, 12:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hah - that's a great motivation to quit smoking!

I do have words of encouragement - a few years ago my father quit smoking after 25 years of very active smoking and he didn't get any amps biggrin.gif He just decided it's good for him and now he lives a much healthier life! He read a book "Power of mind" by Tony Buzam and it sure convinced him he can do everything he wants by just using the will power smile.gif

So, GO FOR IT!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 27 2012, 12:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 26 2012, 07:32 PM) *

that might make the wife happy ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: May 27 2012, 12:36 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2012, 12:36 AM
Awesome! Maybe put a pic of your fav amp on the wall near where you used to keep your smokes? It's not an easy trek, but you can do it!

Todd
QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 26 2012, 10:57 AM) *
My wife and I were talking about things this morning and the subjects of guitar amps, money, and cigarettes somehow all came up. She told me if I quit smoking (which I am trying to do anyway), I can have the money I would have spent on them to go towards a very nice amp (I want an Orange, but still not sure). She also said she would give an additional 25% of what I save to go towards the new amp. Now, all I gotta do is get rid of those nasty things! cool.gif It will take a few weeks to stop, but I will keep you all posted. Though I know this was covered in someone else's thread here recently, any encouragement is greatly appreciated!

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 27 2012, 01:10 AM
Learning Roadie
May you do well in stopping your habit, Jon! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 27 2012, 09:38 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 26 2012, 02:32 PM) *

Ben's right, lets not be polite about this. If you quit smoking, Papa Smurf will be able to work that mine-shaft like Godzilla tearing up the Japanese Navy wink.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 27 2012, 09:45 AM
Good luck, and thats a great deal. Although it should be for your health primarily, just like parents overly loading their kids with presents when they get a good grade or something like that, but if I were you, I wouldnt complain! Haha, and 25 % is a boatload of money.. I know how much goes into smoking.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 27 2012, 09:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 27 2012, 12:35 AM) *
that might make the wife happy ohmy.gif

Hmmm, something's not right there !! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 27 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Ben's right, lets not be polite about this. If you quit smoking, Papa Smurf will be able to work that mine-shaft like Godzilla tearing up the Japanese Navy wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

No comment needed ! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 27 2012, 05:11 PM
Instructor
Mate, I am on the same boat as Gabe - I never had the smoking habit so, all I can say is that you made a good decision wink.gif when having to do physical effort, smokers around me usually faint out laugh.gif now, that's the effect of a sedentary life and smoking wink.gif but nonetheless - your wife should be thanked! I know you can do it mate wink.gif Just think of the Orange amp and all the freedom and health your body will have!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 27 2012, 06:01 PM
Instructor
It's definitely an Orange amp and not an orange that your wife promised you yeah ???

Just checking.. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 28 2012, 01:03 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Ben's right, lets not be polite about this. If you quit smoking, Papa Smurf will be able to work that mine-shaft like Godzilla tearing up the Japanese Navy

laugh.gif or ohmy.gif ? Not sure which emoticon to use there! biggrin.gif .

It's definitely an Orange amp and not an orange that your wife promised you yeah ???

Definitely the Orange amp! laugh.gif I'll probably change my mind though. Saw one today and it was $2500. I would have no use for that as I just like playing at home.

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement and "other things"! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 28 2012, 09:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 28 2012, 01:03 AM) *
Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement and "other things"! laugh.gif

No problem, we're full of useful stuff like that ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 28 2012, 01:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Carrot sticks are a good substitute for cigarettes. The crunching helps when you get in a bad mood

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:34 AM