Note Confusion
sigma7
Nov 25 2008, 06:51 PM
GMC:er
hey gmc im finally able to play again and noticed some new players, very nice. neway ive always had this question but some lessons have note symbols in the videos, more in solos. like say when Muris is soloing, a C# appears on the top right of the screen. then a Gm7b5. This is just an examplee. Neway are these chords or scales? If they are chords, are you only playing the notes withing hte chord? if they are scales, how are they interchangable? rolleyes.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Nov 25 2008, 06:54 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
They are chords, and you can use any note while soloing, and it can sound good, but in general you should keep most of the notes the same as the chord underneath.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Nov 25 2008, 07:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Nov 25 2008, 06:54 PM) *
They are chords, and you can use any note while soloing, and it can sound good, but in general you should keep most of the notes the same as the chord underneath.

That´s it. You should always have the chords in mind which you are playing over. An example: C - F - G - C, the simplest chord progression. On the first chord (C Major: C E G) you should focuse on those three notes of the chord, play them mostly on the beat. The other notes that don´t belong to the chord are also used but often as passage notes - play them rarely on the beat. The same with F (F A C) and G (G B D).

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 25 2008, 10:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Nov 25 2008, 06:51 PM) *
If they are chords, are you only playing the notes withing hte chord? if they are scales, how are they interchangable? rolleyes.gif

They are chords, and chords are derived from a scale/key. If you use one scale that has seven notes you can derive seven chords out of it. Check out my Chord Workshop Series Lesson 1 for some detailed info mate. Hope it helps. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 26 2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor
hey gmc im finally able to play again and noticed some new players, very nice. neway ive always had this question but some lessons have note symbols in the videos, more in solos. like say when Muris is soloing, a C# appears on the top right of the screen. then a Gm7b5. This is just an examplee. Neway are these chords or scales? If they are chords, are you only playing the notes withing hte chord? if they are scales, how are they interchangable? rolleyes.gif

Those are chords but I'm not playing only chord notes in the lessons,
which is obvious of course,that's only to show you progression
in order to track right notes. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 26 2008, 01:27 AM

C# either means the note itself, or C#major triad.

Gm7b5 means a minor7th chord with a diminished fifth.

Dim chord R b3 b5
Half dim 7 R b3 b5 b7

b2 b3 b6 b7 = Minor
b4 b5 = diminished

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 26 2008, 01:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 26 2008, 01:27 AM) *
C# either means the note itself, or C#major triad.

It means note in general but never in GMC lessons,
it's always chord. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 26 2008, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 26 2008, 01:08 PM) *
It means note in general but never in GMC lessons,
it's always chord. smile.gif

Thanks for clarifying Muris smile.gif

+Quote Post
sigma7
Nov 26 2008, 10:12 PM
thanx for help guys smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2008, 12:26 AM
Instructor
No problem mate, we are here to help smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 27 2008, 01:28 AM
Instructor
Anytime,cheers. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:18 AM