How To Preserve The Shine And Sound On New Strings?
Daniel Realpe
Dec 21 2009, 03:51 AM
Instructor
Hi guys,

I've been having this problem for quite some time,

I put new strings and they sound all shiny and have great sustain,

but only after like three days!! they start to get progressively rusty and sound darker,

Before they would at least last two weeks with the new "shine"

any of you might know the reason or how to prevent it?

I have sweaty hands, I'm starting to use powder before playing

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
jafomatic
Dec 21 2009, 04:14 AM
GMC:er
Elixir strings. They'll be shiny and new sounding for months. Then they'll inexplicably snap, leaving us to wonder "did I just put these on? they look new!" but that's OK because the things last like 3 months with NO wiping or care.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 21 2009, 04:29 AM
Instructor
oh man! I need to get me some of those,

I've used Daddario and Ernie Ball, same results

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Dec 21 2009, 08:36 AM
I have been told the same about these strings. I definitly must try them

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 21 2009, 08:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah, Elixir strings is the way to go - if you dont break strings..... they are expensive. Also, if You do a lot of bending, this will worn out the tone in the strings anyway, even that they looks like new. I've tried them on some of my guitars and they are awesome, but I cant afford to use them because of my playing style & the prize....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 21 2009, 04:51 PM
Instructor
well, I've ordered some already,

I prefer to spend that and have them last longer. And I don't break strings often,although I use a lot of bending. I bought the Nano ones, there are the Poly,

I saw that Poly have a thicker anti rust wearing, which ones have you tried?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
methodseeker
Dec 21 2009, 05:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 20 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Yeah, Elixir strings is the way to go - if you dont break strings..... they are expensive. Also, if You do a lot of bending, this will worn out the tone in the strings anyway, even that they looks like new. I've tried them on some of my guitars and they are awesome, but I cant afford to use them because of my playing style & the prize....

//Staffay

Hmm. How much bending is too much for elixirs? I'm just practicing a mixed bag of GMC lessons. Since joining this site I've developed a tendency to add vibrato to all sustained notes. So unless I'm running arpeggios I'm gently grinding the strings into the frets, all the time. I've also started keeping my strings cleaner, using a little mineral oil lubricant, and changing them more frequently. My impression is that it's the vibrato & bends, more than sweat and time, that causes string wear.

More troublesome for me is classical strings: I've been using Augustine blues. I like the sound when they're new, but the tuning is so unstable. By the time the tuning stabilizes, the nice treble overtones have diminished greatly. Is there a better brand I should try?

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 21 2009, 06:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 21 2009, 04:51 PM) *
well, I've ordered some already,

I prefer to spend that and have them last longer. And I don't break strings often,although I use a lot of bending. I bought the Nano ones, there are the Poly,

I saw that Poly have a thicker anti rust wearing, which ones have you tried?

It was the Nano one's as well.... one problem that is really important, is the fact that the moisture in the air does also a lot of difference.. I guess You have a pretty high moisture level in Colombia, isn't it Daniel??? Here in Sweden we got pretty dry air, so the strings dont get rusty so easily....

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Dec 21 2009, 06:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I always have the same problem, do you also get that the strings become very hard to do slides on? Like your fingers can't slide across the string easily anymore? I still have that problem tongue.gif Pls report back about the Elixir tongue.gif Maybe it's the way to go for me as well wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 21 2009, 06:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (methodseeker @ Dec 21 2009, 05:25 PM) *
Hmm. How much bending is too much for elixirs? I'm just practicing a mixed bag of GMC lessons. Since joining this site I've developed a tendency to add vibrato to all sustained notes. So unless I'm running arpeggios I'm gently grinding the strings into the frets, all the time. I've also started keeping my strings cleaner, using a little mineral oil lubricant, and changing them more frequently. My impression is that it's the vibrato & bends, more than sweat and time, that causes string wear.

More troublesome for me is classical strings: I've been using Augustine blues. I like the sound when they're new, but the tuning is so unstable. By the time the tuning stabilizes, the nice treble overtones have diminished greatly. Is there a better brand I should try?

Sorry if I was a little unclear, what I meant was that the tone in the strings have gone in some 3 weeks or so for me whatever if I use Elixirs or another brand because of the bending issue. And in three weeks I spot no difference between Elixirs and other strings in terms of rust either. (we have a very dry climate here in Sweden, see above) I would on the other hand prefer Elixirs in matter of tone, they are really great.... For acoustic guitars I always used Savarez gold, and I never had any tuning problems. It sounds a little strange to me, since I know that Augustine is also very good strings.

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 21 2009, 06:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I had this same problem with bass strings. I love the new strings shiny bright crystal sound and strings loose it after just few days. After years of struggling I found a trick how to preserve the new strings sound (as much as I could).

Trick: apply the GHS Fast fret string cleaning agent , DO NOT wipe off the excess (opposite to the instructions on bottle) and leave the guitar over night. Tomorrow strings sound new and bright once again. I guess not wiping off the agent as soon as you apply it and leaving it over prolonged time does the trick of cleaning.

Thing is that on the bottle of the fast fret it says : wipe off the excess. And playing immediately after you apply the agent "wipes it off too" . When I used it to those instructions I didn't have any positive effects. Very mild. After I left it over night - huge difference! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Dec 21 2009, 06:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 21 2009, 06:24 PM) *
I had this same problem with bass strings. I love the new strings shiny bright crystal sound and strings loose it after just few days. After years of struggling I found a trick how to preserve the new strings sound (as much as I could).

Trick: apply the GHS Fast fret string cleaning agent , DO NOT wipe off the excess (opposite to the instructions on bottle) and leave the guitar over night. Tomorrow strings sound new and bright once again. I guess not wiping off the agent as soon as you apply it and leaving it over prolonged time does the trick of cleaning.

Thing is that on the bottle of the fast fret it says : wipe off the excess. And playing immediately after you apply the agent "wipes it off too" . When I used it to those instructions I didn't have any positive effects. Very mild. After I left it over night - huge difference! smile.gif

This never works for me tongue.gif I feel like the strings become less slippery when I have this applied wink.gif Of course this could also be because it's still the same applier as half a year ago rolleyes.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 21 2009, 09:07 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
+1 on elixirs

My strings went black in less than a week, it seems my finger sweat is highly corrosive or something laugh.gif elixirs never ever get black. They maintain tone so much longer and are a delight to play with. Ever since I tried them I don't buy any other brand, and for good reason smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
carpathian Etude
Dec 22 2009, 12:12 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 21 2009, 08:07 PM) *
+1 on elixirs

My strings went black in less than a week, it seems my finger sweat is highly corrosive or something laugh.gif elixirs never ever get black. They maintain tone so much longer and are a delight to play with. Ever since I tried them I don't buy any other brand, and for good reason smile.gif

I love to use GHS fast fret on my guitars I started using it a few months ago and it seems to work very well, although I dont have problems with strings going black just usual wear. the fast fret is cool stuff.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 22 2009, 12:21 AM
Instructor
thanks guys for the input!

I've ordered those elixir strings, let's hope they do the trick. Bummer they don't come in 7 string packages

QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 21 2009, 06:09 PM) *
It was the Nano one's as well.... one problem that is really important, is the fact that the moisture in the air does also a lot of difference.. I guess You have a pretty high moisture level in Colombia, isn't it Daniel??? Here in Sweden we got pretty dry air, so the strings dont get rusty so easily....

I live in a cold city, Bogota, but moisture isn't that low. A friend buys strings and he has them new for months. I guess is the sweat in my hands. I sweat a lot when I play.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 22 2009, 12:35 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 22 2009, 12:21 AM) *
I live in a cold city, Bogota, but moisture isn't that low. A friend buys strings and he has them new for months. I guess is the sweat in my hands. I sweat a lot when I play.

That's probably the cause, sweat kills strings.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 22 2009, 01:23 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Dec 21 2009, 06:33 PM) *
This never works for me tongue.gif I feel like the strings become less slippery when I have this applied wink.gif Of course this could also be because it's still the same applier as half a year ago rolleyes.gif

I get a new one every 2-3 months. Later on when it gets old it just makes strings greasy but not clean them much. Get a new one and try it - yeah it makes strings very slippery when you apply it and then play. Don't leave it off to dry if you want the slippery feel on the strings.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:02 PM