2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Transferring Reaper Project
bleez
Dec 16 2018, 12:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I need to transfer a reaper project from my PC to my laptop. The project has an EZ drummer track but I dont have EZ drummer on my laptop ( its just on my PC ). What would be the best way to do this without installing EZ drummer on the laptop?
I really just want to try rendering the project from my laptop to compare as Im sure my PC is crap at rendering.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 12:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 12:48 PM) *
I need to transfer a reaper project from my PC to my laptop. The project has an EZ drummer track but I dont have EZ drummer on my laptop ( its just on my PC ). What would be the best way to do this without installing EZ drummer on the laptop?
I really just want to try rendering the project from my laptop to compare as Im sure my PC is crap at rendering.

You could export the individual stem(s) from the EZ Drummer track(s) I suppose. I don't know if I'm understand your problem correctly though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 16 2018, 01:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Have you tried just copying the project to your laptop and opening it. It may say "blah blah blah is not available" and you can say "ignore files". Worth a try imho

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 16 2018, 01:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 16 2018, 01:25 PM) *
Have you tried just copying the project to your laptop and opening it. It may say "blah blah blah is not available" and you can say "ignore files". Worth a try imho
If you want to work on it the above will happen,you can work with everything your labtop has as well. but if you just want a listen , render to your computers desktop and stick it on a flah drive to transfer it

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 16 2018, 01:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yeah, if I copy the project as it is, then it wont play the drum track on the laptop. I dont need to add to the takes, I just want to open the mix on my laptop and render it from there rather than my PC.
would exporting the stems give me the drum track? also, how do you get the stems, would that be the 'consolidate / export' option?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 16 2018, 03:14 PM
GMC:er
As I understand we can't render the midi but want a .wav file to transfer.

Try freezing the drums, then look into the project folder for the freezed .wav's

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 16 2018, 03:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 16 2018, 02:14 PM) *
As I understand we can't render the midi but want a .wav file to transfer.

Try freezing the drums, then look into the project folder for the freezed .wav's

cool, I'll give that a go, cheers dude smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 16 2018, 03:35 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 16 2018, 03:14 PM) *

This. Or bounce the drum tracks into one single stereo file.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 04:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
This is why I suggested rendering the drum tracks (to .wavs) with/without the desired effects or whatever. Isn't that basically the same as bouncing? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 16 2018, 05:01 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2018, 03:23 PM) *
This is why I suggested rendering the drum tracks (to .wavs) with/without the desired effects or whatever. Isn't that basically the same as bouncing? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Yeah but it may bypass technical issues

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 05:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well, at least you have some different options to try, Bleez smile.gif Let us know how it works out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 16 2018, 05:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2018, 04:27 PM) *
Well, at least you have some different options to try, Bleez smile.gif Let us know how it works out!

totally smile.gif
I was going to render the drum track in the usual way but I thought there must be a better option. I didnt even know about the freeze options.
I'll try rendering from the laptop tonight. I have a short instrumental I made which sounds good within reaper but when rendered it has loud and quiet bits, kinda phaser-y. I noticed it before with other renders, although not everything, maybe it depends on the tracks.
anyways, my PC is kinda old now so I want to try it on a better machine just to compare the two.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 16 2018, 06:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 05:55 PM) *
totally smile.gif
I was going to render the drum track in the usual way but I thought there must be a better option. I didnt even know about the freeze options.
I'll try rendering from the laptop tonight. I have a short instrumental I made which sounds good within reaper but when rendered it has loud and quiet bits, kinda phaser-y. I noticed it before with other renders, although not everything, maybe it depends on the tracks.
anyways, my PC is kinda old now so I want to try it on a better machine just to compare the two.

I do find that trying ti mix without individual drum tracks is not ideal because certain frequencies of other instruments might lead to tweaking cymbals only etc. ,so .. if you are interested in getting a better mix I would render each drum to its own file

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2018, 07:15 AM
Here is a handy vid on freezing the drum tracks in reaper smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 12:55 PM) *
totally smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 27 2018, 11:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
well the freeze option was perfect. got the drums over to the laptop and was able to render. The rendered playback sounded good, didnt notice any sudden volume drops when listening on the laptop.
put the 'good' rendered file on the PC.... volume drops dry.gif I guess the oldness of my PC means it cant handle certain sounds or frequencies, I dunno...... I dont think its my ears rolleyes.gif
on the plus side, when I get a render like that, I can always just quickly check it on my laptop or tablet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 28 2018, 10:13 AM
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 27 2018, 10:08 PM) *
well the freeze option was perfect. got the drums over to the laptop and was able to render. The rendered playback sounded good, didnt notice any sudden volume drops when listening on the laptop.
put the 'good' rendered file on the PC.... volume drops dry.gif I guess the oldness of my PC means it cant handle certain sounds or frequencies, I dunno...... I dont think its my ears rolleyes.gif
on the plus side, when I get a render like that, I can always just quickly check it on my laptop or tablet.

It might be a transfer error if you used a usb stick. Maybe try 1 of the waves uploading and downloading from the pther computer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 28 2018, 06:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 28 2018, 09:13 AM) *
It might be a transfer error if you used a usb stick. Maybe try 1 of the waves uploading and downloading from the pther computer.

I transferred the project and the renders using google drive. here's the file -

https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/frooshfreeze

On my PC Im hearing the volume drop at 0:18 - 0:22 and bigger ones around 0:58 - 1:02.
There might be some more throughout that are a bit less noticeable but the ones Ive mentioned are really obvious on my PC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 28 2018, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 28 2018, 05:05 PM) *

On my PC Im hearing the volume drop at 0:18 - 0:22 and bigger ones around 0:58 - 1:02.
There might be some more throughout that are a bit less noticeable but the ones Ive mentioned are really obvious on my PC.

Thats odd, I can't think of a reason why it should happen maybe try zip'ing as a test then transfer. Cool tune by the way.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 28 2018, 06:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 29 2018, 03:50 AM
Hmm. How about trying exporting stems for each track? After the export, zip them all and use your normal file transfer. Here is a video on how to export stems wink.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 28 2018, 01:05 PM) *

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 29 2018, 12:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 28 2018, 05:55 PM) *
Thats odd, I can't think of a reason why it should happen maybe try zip'ing as a test then transfer. Cool tune by the way.

thanks, I was quite happy with it overall smile.gif do you hear any volume drops or weirdness on the track?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 29 2018, 02:50 AM) *
Hmm. How about trying exporting stems for each track? After the export, zip them all and use your normal file transfer. Here is a video on how to export stems wink.gif

cheers, todd. I'll check that vid out.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:24 PM