Finally I Found My Axe :)
Velvet Roger
Oct 11 2008, 04:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
After I tried about 30 different guitars during the last couple of weeks, I went today to my local guitar shop and tried out the Eric Johnson Strat and I just totally love it..... <LINK>. Looking at it's price (€ 1699 in NL) and its features (quarter-sawn maple neck etc), it's not really a suprise I guess, but I was overwhelmed

From picking it up and playing it acoustically to playing it through all kinds of amps, I am totally impressed about the sound, vibrato, resonance whatsoever from that guitar. In the end I spend about 3 hours playing on this one at the shop smile.gif

So, I am totally confident that this will be my new guitar, but I still need to decide which amp to go with it. It will certainly be a Fender for the beautiful cleans, but it needs to be a bit versatile to crank it up for some heavier stuff as well (not metal). If anyone has any bright ideas, I would love to hear them.

Anyways, I just had to post my joy of today (although I have to wait until end of the year probably to finally buy it as my bonus won't arrive earlier smile.gif.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Guitarman700
Oct 11 2008, 05:32 PM
GMC:er
GET IT! ive played two of them, absolute tone machines, one of the best guitars in production!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 11 2008, 05:39 PM
Awesome guitar. I don't like artist models usually but that model oozes quality

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 11 2008, 05:39 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I've read a lot of awesome reviews on EJ strats lately, I even read some reviews stating they were the closest thing to a custom strat available at a reasonable price. I guess they must be really good.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 11 2008, 05:54 PM
Learning Roadie
Strats in general are a good buy, but I've heard this EJ strat is really good smile.gif Might I suggest you look into a deluxe reverb for the amp? Thats the setup I'm going for soon. Probably going to buy a pedal to go with it (either a rat or a tubescreamer, not sure yet) as the amp does get crunchy when cranked but could use a boost for some of the more saturated stuff.

Here's some info on the deluxe reverb.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
inertia
Oct 11 2008, 07:54 PM
If I buy another strat that's the one I would buy too, it's tonally quite unique and it has that EJ magic too that many artist model guitars don't seem to have.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 11 2008, 08:12 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Looks awesome smile.gif

I'm gonna buy the Fender Billy Corgan signature model smile.gif
This one is probably better, but I just need a Smashing Pumpkins guitar wink.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 11 2008, 08:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Oct 11 2008, 03:12 PM) *
Looks awesome smile.gif

This one is probably better, but I just need a Smashing Pumpkins guitar wink.gif

Awesome biggrin.gif Which reminds me, I need to do the smashing pumpkins SI lesson... now that I have my (working) laptop I can finally get around to it...

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 11 2008, 08:34 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Oct 11 2008, 09:12 PM) *
Looks awesome smile.gif

Wow is that a freak accident!!!??? I was also concidering that Strat today, have to say it's maybe a bit of an odd choice so I wonder what the odds are for this biggrin.gif

And the EJ strat looks just teriffic!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 11 2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I played it when I was looking at Strats. It's a wonderful guitar but out of my league.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 11 2008, 09:39 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Oct 12 2008, 12:12 AM) *
Looks awesome smile.gif

I wish Corgan Sig would look more like the trashy flowery guitar he had during Siva

If I remember correctly, he bought that guitar for less than $200 and it made extensive noises that Corgan worked with. Nice story indeed.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Oct 11 2008, 11:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel even more confident to really go for this beauty smile.gif

QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 11 2008, 06:54 PM) *
Strats in general are a good buy, but I've heard this EJ strat is really good smile.gif Might I suggest you look into a deluxe reverb for the amp? Thats the setup I'm going for soon. Probably going to buy a pedal to go with it (either a rat or a tubescreamer, not sure yet) as the amp does get crunchy when cranked but could use a boost for some of the more saturated stuff.

Here's some info on the deluxe reverb.

I will check the deluxe out in more detail some time during the next weeks, as well as the supersonic, twin reverb and the hot rod to see which tone I prefer the most smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 11 2008, 11:46 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Oct 11 2008, 06:29 PM) *
Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel even more confident to really go for this beauty smile.gif

I will check the deluxe out in more detail some time during the next weeks, as well as the supersonic, twin reverb and the hot rod to see which tone I prefer the most smile.gif

All really good amps. The hot rods are a little cheaper of course, but good tone can still be gotten from them. Supersonic and twin are really good amps too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 12 2008, 02:54 AM
You've got yourself a great guitar. A really good match for it would be a Fender Supersonic or a Mesa Boogie Lonestar. Both of these amps have awesome clean sounds, and both of these amps can be pushed into a great overdriven sound. They are not high gain amps, but have great, singing lead tones in the style of Eric Johnson or Andy Timmons. A nice overdrive pedal, (not distortion), would also be a nice compliment to that setup.

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Oct 12 2008, 02:56 AM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Oct 11 2008, 04:36 PM) *
So, I am totally confident that this will be my new guitar, but I still need to decide which amp to go with it. It will certainly be a Fender for the beautiful cleans, but it needs to be a bit versatile to crank it up for some heavier stuff as well (not metal). If anyone has any bright ideas, I would love to hear them.

Well, As far a beautiful cleans an A great drive channel. check out the Mesa lone star and fender supersonic. smile.gif

Edit: lol frank said the same things as me smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Oct 12 2008, 02:57 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 12 2008, 03:20 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Oct 12 2008, 02:56 AM) *
Well, As far a beautiful cleans an A great drive channel. check out the Mesa lone star and fender supersonic. smile.gif

It's my opinion that you know what you're talking about, my friend.

+Quote Post
inertia
Oct 12 2008, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (FrankW @ Oct 11 2008, 10:20 PM) *
It's my opinion that you know what you're talking about, my friend.

I totally agree with both of you, those are two of my favourite amps

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 12 2008, 04:31 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Oct 12 2008, 06:56 AM) *

Lonestar Special oozes with tone. The clean tone on that Special was something special. Plus it can be set to a 5w switch so you can crank it w/o blowing your ear drums on your room.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 12 2008, 02:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
That picture... I love it!!

Dutch:

Mooie gitaar man! Vooral dat hout dat zo door de lak heen te zien is, prachtig!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 12 2008, 05:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (VinceG @ Oct 11 2008, 11:31 PM) *
Lonestar Special oozes with tone. The clean tone on that Special was something special. Plus it can be set to a 5w switch so you can crank it w/o blowing your ear drums on your room.

Yeah, a lonestar is my dream amp, but I can't justify it right now I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM