Brazilian Choro, Andre Nieri
Palacios
Feb 21 2014, 10:47 PM
Learning Roadie
I've been working on the Brazilian Choro by Andre Nieri, and I have a question about the technique. On frame 12 measure 7 he does something like this.

---------3--
--3----3----
--5----5----
--7----7----
--8-8-------
------------
To me that is a pretty long stretch that isn't necessary. Would't it be more playable doing something like this?
---------3--
--3----3----
--5----5----
--3-3-------
--0----0----
------------

It would be great to get a second opinion. Thanks.
here's the piece.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Brazilian-Choro/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Palacios: Feb 21 2014, 10:54 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2014, 12:01 AM
Instructor
Hi Palacios! That's a very cool lesson. You are not playing exactly the same notes but your version also sounds good and it's a very small detail so I don't think it's a problem. However you could keep Andre's chord to practice stretches.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 22 2014, 03:13 PM
Instructor
I agree with Gabi. Usually, I like to find forms that are far more suitable for my playing. In time, I learned one thing - as long as things sound properly, it doesn't matter how you did it wink.gif Of course, in the REC zone, my rule is not available biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 22 2014, 04:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
That's a big stretch, yes, but I wouldn't say it's impossible, just uncomfortable, maybe. With some stretching practice and working on just switching between those chords, you'll nail it in no time.

On a side note, John Petrucci has a couple of warm up stretching exercises in his Rock Discipline video/book, which might help you.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 23 2014, 04:05 PM
Instructor

here we go smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2014, 04:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 23 2014, 04:05 PM) *

here we go smile.gif

Exactly! He also does some BIIIIG stretches on the guitar. I think one of them is like this played as a chord:

CODE
|-11-|
|----|
|--9-|
|--7-|
|----|
|--5-|

|-11-|
|----|
|--7-|
|--9-|
|----|
|--5-|

|--5-|
|----|
|--7-|
|--9-|
|----|
|-11-|

|--5-|
|----|
|--9-|
|--7-|
|----|
|-11-|

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2014, 08:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 23 2014, 12:05 PM) *

here we go smile.gif

I post this video all the time at GMC. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 23 2014, 10:46 PM
Learning Roadie
When I was studying guitar in college; my instructor made an excellent point. It's always about making the piece more playable. Whenever I get a new piece; the first thing I do is come up with a comfortable fingering to make smooth transitions. It's also necesary to change some of the chords, and runs. As long as you have the same notes in the chord; you can make them a lot smoother and easier to play. Take advantage of open strings wherever you can. You can even revoice them, and you would never be able to tell the difference. I always used to use a guitar with no fret markers. My instructor asked me why I was making it harder than necessary. It's hard enough to play clean; why make that any more difficult. If you ever look at some of the really great guitarists; they never make difficult reaches. I've honestly never seen some huge stretch that was so necessary it couldn't be made more playable. Thats of course just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 24 2014, 10:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 23 2014, 09:46 PM) *
When I was studying guitar in college; my instructor made an excellent point. It's always about making the piece more playable. Whenever I get a new piece; the first thing I do is come up with a comfortable fingering to make smooth transitions. It's also necesary to change some of the chords, and runs. As long as you have the same notes in the chord; you can make them a lot smoother and easier to play. Take advantage of open strings wherever you can. You can even revoice them, and you would never be able to tell the difference. I always used to use a guitar with no fret markers. My instructor asked me why I was making it harder than necessary. It's hard enough to play clean; why make that any more difficult. If you ever look at some of the really great guitarists; they never make difficult reaches. I've honestly never seen some huge stretch that was so necessary it couldn't be made more playable. Thats of course just my opinion.

Very, very good point here man smile.gif We are all built differently and we all have different capabilities smile.gif It is normal to adapt, as well as in life. I do the exact same thing as you with everything. Well, not everything can work out tho - for instance, when we need to use open strings in low tunings, those parts will never sound ok if we play the same notes but fretted somewhere higher smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:48 PM