3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Sustain Pedal?
mattacuk
Sep 28 2007, 12:24 AM
Lets go fishing!
Hi dudes,
I want to add more sustain to my rig. I cant afford new pickups so i was wondering what i could put in my loop to boost the lenght of the notes? Something cheap and cheerful prefrable!! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 28 2007, 12:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 28 2007, 01:24 AM) *
Hi dudes,
I want to add more sustain to my rig. I cant afford new pickups so i was wondering what i could put in my loop to boost the lenght of the notes? Something cheap and cheerful prefrable!! smile.gif

There's Boss Compressor/Sustainer pedal.
I use it along with Prophesy,works great! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 28 2007, 12:34 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (muris @ Sep 28 2007, 12:29 AM) *
There's Boss Compressor/Sustainer pedal.
I use it along with Prophesy,works great! smile.gif

Hi Muris smile.gif
thanks for your reply. The problem im having is when im tapping and hold long notes they just seem to faid out to quickly. Is the Boss likely to help me with this?

thanks smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 28 2007, 12:38 AM
GMC:er
Well really you could buy atleast one pickup for the price you would pay for a high quality pedal,but you could try the affordable low budget pedals like this by danelectro http://cgi.ebay.com/DANELECTRO-DJ-9-SURF-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

I know your in the U.K so just look on the U.K Ebay .These Danelectro pedals are very inexpensive and really worth a shot for the price.I just ordered a Danelectro Fab Metal pedal and am waiting on it now.It had great reviews which suprised me since it was very cheap price .I figured it was worth a shot since it cost me less for the pedal than a half tankof gas laugh.gif I also can always sell it right back on ebay and get my full purchase amount back,so its really like not costing me anything especially if i dont like it. cool.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 28 2007, 12:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 28 2007, 01:38 AM) *
Well really you could buy atleast one pickup for the price you would pay for a high quality pedal,but you could try the affordable low budget pedals like this by danelectro http://cgi.ebay.com/DANELECTRO-DJ-9-SURF-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

I know your in the U.K so just look on the U.K Ebay .These Danelectro pedals are very inexpensive and really worth a shot for the price.I just ordered a Danelectro Fab Metal pedal and am waiting on it now.It had great reviews which suprised me since it was very cheap price .I figured it was worth a shot since it cost me less for the pedal than a half tankof gas laugh.gif I also can always sell it right back on ebay and get my full purchase amount back,so its really like not costing me anything especially if i dont like it. cool.gif

Deal is that sustain isn't only about pickups,it's more about wood,neck type,connection of neck and body etc. smile.gif
Tho you won't be missing anything with better pickup. wink.gif
But yeah,Danelectro makes great pedals too and Ebay is right place to look.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 28 2007, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Sep 27 2007, 07:41 PM) *
Deal is that sustain isn't only about pickups,it's more about wood,neck type,connection of neck and body etc. smile.gif
Tho you won't be missing anything with better pickup. wink.gif
But yeah,Danelectro makes great pedals too and Ebay is right place to look.

Exactly
Like a set neck is going to give you more sustain than a bolt on. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 28 2007, 12:47 AM
Instructor
Yep. smile.gif

And if you have floating bridge,ahhh ohmy.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 28 2007, 12:47 AM
Lets go fishing!
HI dudes,
Ive noticed i get tones of sustain whilst playing through my orange mini amp! but not so much through a 15 watt tube amp! any ideas why this is?

also i was looking at this http://www.behringer.com/CS100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 28 2007, 12:48 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 27 2007, 07:34 PM) *
Hi Muris smile.gif
thanks for your reply. The problem im having is when im tapping and hold long notes they just seem to faid out to quickly. Is the Boss likely to help me with this?
thanks smile.gif

Could also be the amp or effects you are alredy using.I have noticed in processor (multi effect pedal) tones that some of them tend to die out like that.Really it all depends on so much every peice of equipment you use plays a role like even strings and guitar cables ect ect tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 28 2007, 12:49 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Compression will help, also distortion will too as that also adds a kind of compression effect. Practicing technique for stronger tapping also wouldn't hurt smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 28 2007, 12:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 28 2007, 01:34 AM) *
Hi Muris smile.gif
thanks smile.gif

Need more info about your gear. smile.gif

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 28 2007, 01:49 AM) *
Compression will help, also distortion will too as that also adds a kind of compression effect. Practicing technique for stronger tapping also wouldn't hurt smile.gif

Oh yeah,don't forget practicing!!
Actually,less sustain will help you to achieve higher level of technique.
And when you apply it on sound with lots of comp and suss,it's a monster. cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 28 2007, 12:53 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 27 2007, 07:47 PM) *
HI dudes,
Ive noticed i get tones of sustain whilst playing through my orange mini amp! but not so much through a 15 watt tube amp! any ideas why this is?

also i was looking at this http://www.behringer.com/CS100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

You know i used the Behringer Ultra Chorus and the Delay pedal for a short period of time.The chorus effect pedal was really nice when playing clean but distotion sounded bad to me,the delay just sounded bad alltogether.I just ended up selling then all a month after i got them.This plays into the whole low budget pedal thing though aswell like i stated about danelectro.It's worth a shot cause for the price and option to resell you cant loose that much.Just check out a list of affordable pedals for you and them check out the reviews.Here is a place you can check for reviews and it looks like this pedal got some pretty good reviews biggrin.gif http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...nger/CS100/10/1

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 28 2007, 12:56 AM
Lets go fishing!
wow im always spoilt for help on GMC biggrin.gif

Ok, I have an Epiphone Les Paul & a Cort X-6 (so one fixed neck and one bolt on).

Guitar (LP or Cort) > Boss DD-3 > Keely Boss DS1-Ultra > Vox AC15 CC (replaced).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 28 2007, 01:21 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Matt,
Any compressor set right can help you get pretty much infinite sustain although you can also just really drive the amp hard - you're probably getting more sustain of the Orange as you may well have got the gain up enough to get it saturated fully and hold it just on the verge of feeding back. (or let it tip over and control it cool.gif .) A lot of semi-acoustics are great to push into feedback/near infinite sustain because of the way they are built. For sustain it helps to have a a fixed bridge as well like Muris says and a set neck is usually good as well.

Another possibility if you weren't going for it whilst tapping would be an Ebow (invented by Godley and Creme - the guitar players out of 10CC for all those old enough like me to remember them unsure.gif ). The Ebow is sort of a hand held electromagnet that keeps the string vibrating by applying a strong electro magnetic field. Only problem if you're tapping is that you'll need a third hand to hold the Ebow (or a roadie...)

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 28 2007, 01:27 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 27 2007, 08:21 PM) *
Hi Matt,
Any compressor set right can help you get pretty much infinite sustain although you can also just really drive the amp hard - you're probably getting more sustain of the Orange as you may well have got the gain up enough to get it saturated fully and hold it just on the verge of feeding back. (or let it tip over and control it cool.gif .) A lot of semi-acoustics are great to push into feedback/near infinite sustain because of the way they are built. For sustain it helps to have a a fixed bridge as well like Muris says and a set neck is usually good as well.

Another possibility if you weren't going for it whilst tapping would be an Ebow (invented by Godley and Creme - the guitar players out of 10CC for all those old enough like me to remember them unsure.gif ). The Ebow is sort of a hand held electromagnet that keeps the string vibrating by applying a strong electro magnetic field. Only problem if you're tapping is that you'll need a third hand to hold the Ebow (or a roadie...)

Cheers,
Tony

You know i have never used a ebow before.Are they pretty useful on the guitar,meaning is there alot of thing that you could actually use the ebow for to play?Also while were on the subject of the wild gear ever heard of something called a gellyfish?It's like a pick but can make your guitar sound like a 12 string and also is supposed to add lots of sustain./ smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 28 2007, 01:30 AM
Sorry Dan,
never used an Ebow either though I've seen it used a few times and it looked pretty cool.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 28 2007, 01:42 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 28 2007, 01:21 AM) *
Hi Matt,

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony,
this makes alot of sense to me as the mini amp gives a fair but of feedback when not playing. The problem with the Vox is that i can never turn it up that loud in my bedroom so its always on a lowish volume setting! I get a fantastic tone, but not as much sustain as with the mini amp. Maybe i will give one of those cheap sustain compressors a shot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 28 2007, 02:15 AM
Moderation Policy Director
On the ebow theme - also check out the "sustainiac" - its basically a pickup with a built in e-bow, looks really cool. I promised myself one when I build a custom guitar - Steve Vai has one in one of his Jems (Flo).

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 28 2007, 02:19 AM
Lets go fishing!
Cool well i bought the Behringer compressor, cant really go wrong for £15 !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 28 2007, 02:23 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 27 2007, 07:15 PM) *
On the ebow theme - also check out the "sustainiac" - its basically a pickup with a built in e-bow, looks really cool. I promised myself one when I build a custom guitar - Steve Vai has one in one of his Jems (Flo).

SO is that mounted on the guitar as a pickup rather then held Andrew? If so presumably it has some control for mimicking 'moving the Ebow' towards and away from the guitar (or whatever you do to affect the sustain)? Asking as I hate adding things to my guitars that may involve routing out the body tongue.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 27 2007, 07:15 PM) *

SO is that mounted on the guitar as a pickup rather then held Andrew? If so presumably it has some control for mimicking 'moving the Ebow' towards and away from the guitar (or whatever you do to affect the sustain)? Asking as I hate adding things to my guitars that may involve routing out the body tongue.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

ps Matt 15 quid - cheap as chips biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:56 PM