What Do You Say To A Question Like This " Are You Good At Guitar ? "
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 1 2007, 08:54 PM
GMC:er
I was talking to someone that never knew that I played guitar yesterday and he asked "Are you good at guitar ? "

I thought about it and I didnt know quite what to say?
What defines good on the guitar. Or for that matter great or even Excellent!
This might be a hard question to answer but if anyone has any general ideas feel free to share.

- John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ezravdb
Apr 1 2007, 09:08 PM
I think about this a lot and I have no damn clue biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 1 2007, 09:47 PM
Well i think of a good ploayer is person that can play accuratly, and not nessceraly fast like malmsteen, or Shawn lane, but how much emotion, and also how much of themselves they put into that music there playing, and i think also a good player should be able to be able to play a wide variety of styles.

this is just my opinion, but who cares what other ppl think of yoru good, or not. It should matter if you think your good, cus if the song you improvise, or w/e that you think is good, well then it is good, as long as its yourself being put into that song, and not somebody elses emotions, or personalty, or anything..as long as that song is yourself, then its good!!!
thats just my opinion on that

Now what ot tell the guy that asked you....well you can go into a whole long explanation about what you think a good guitar player is, or you can just be like "I think im good"

Its just a matter of what you think!!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 1 2007, 09:49 PM
Instructor
Well i often get asked that question. And you know what my answer is?
I say: "I am not gonna answer! Come to my place, i'll play for you and you decide if i am good or not!" OR "Ask a couple of guitarists in town!"

(my town has around 200,000 people so almost all guitarists know each other)

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 2 2007, 12:20 AM
You know it's hard to tell yourself if your good or not! That's a good and hard question

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 2 2007, 12:35 AM
Instructor
My advice : never answer to that question... To quote one of my favourite movies:
"A man's music speaks louder than his words.." :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 2 2007, 02:36 AM
all good answers. just this is kinda like when someone asked me what my favorite food is....i just dont know

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 2 2007, 02:41 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 1 2007, 09:36 PM) *
all good answers. just this is kinda like when someone asked me what my favorite food is....i just dont know

And its in the eye of the beholder ... if I played to my next door neighbour he'd be blown away, if I played to Pavel he'd give me a list as long as my arm of things I was doing wrong (in a constructive way of course) ... my point is I suppose that one answer could be "I don't know, do you think I'm good?"

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 2 2007, 03:49 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I Always just say "hell im better than everyone!!!"

No not really, i just say i try as hard as i possibly can, and if they then say the usually "If you had to rate yourself" kinda thing, i just say my latest Achievment, like if i got my 5 string sweeps faster or cleaner or whatever.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 2 2007, 05:55 AM
if you play with emotions then people wont give you crap on the shit you play.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Marcus
Apr 2 2007, 08:28 AM
"I can play a few songs" smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 2 2007, 10:42 AM
GMC Founder
Yes this is a very diffuclt and common question...! I still don't know what to answer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MeTaL GoD DIME
Apr 3 2007, 03:32 AM
this question is pretty much impossible to answer
you cant really say that your good or great or even exellent
thats just what you hear
you'd have to just play for a shit load of people
not just friends, but family and other muscians
and if they all say your fucking awsome and not just saying that to make you feel good
chances are your probably good

but thats just what i think
and if your dimebag darrell...your hella good biggrin.gif biggrin.gif R.I.P DIME

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 3 2007, 03:40 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 2 2007, 01:42 AM) *
Yes this is a very diffuclt and common question...! I still don't know what to answer.

Well you have more then enough time to think tongue.gif

I thought about it and this is what I came up with depending on what Andrew and others said smile.gif
Depending on the skill level or knowledge of the person your playing to about your playing, you will get a variety of different answers. You could play Old Mcdonald to a group of kindergartners and youd be a GOD in their eyes . Well on the other side you could play Old Mcdonald to a group of adults and they would think you have a LOoooooooooOooooOoong way to go.

You are only known good when someone thats perfected your craft ( in this case guitar ) considers your playing good.

Hows that ?

- John biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Apr 3 2007, 03:46 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 3 2007, 04:00 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 2 2007, 10:40 PM) *
Well you have more then enough time to think tongue.gif
I thought about it and this is what I came up with depending on what Andrew and others said smile.gif
Depending on the skill level or knowledge of the person your playing to about your playing, you will get a variety of different answers. You could play Old Mcdonald to a group of kindergartners and youd be a GOD in their eyes . Well on the other side you could play Old Mcdonald to a group of adults and they would think you have a LOoooooooooOooooOoong way to go.
You are only known good when someone thats perfected your craft ( in this case guitar ) considers your playing good.
Hows that ?

- John biggrin.gif

That's pretty good, but here's another thought - what if the guitarist who's opinion you seek is your future self?

My Eighteen year old self would regard me now as amazing, I look back on my 18 year old self and think he showed some promise but wasn't as good as he thought he was. My 18 year old self thought Gilmour was god ... I now think that he is a very skilled player but the mystery has gone because I can play a lot of his stuff, albeit in my own style.

Where am I going with this? I guess our standards for ourselves rise as we get better, and one answer to the question could be "not as good as I want to be" or even "not as good as I'll be in a few years" !

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 3 2007, 04:00 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2007, 04:47 AM
Instructor
It's a difficult question... I agree with Pavel.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Apr 3 2007, 08:28 PM
There's no right answer. It just depends on who's listening.

People will subjectively compare other guitarists to their favorites, then judge accordingly.

I've heard names like Steve Vai and Dimebag Darrell mentioned already. Personally, I don't think either one of them is very good. Their technique is amazing, but their music is terrible.

It's subjective. I'm right and you're wrong and that's the way it's going to be. And it's like that for everyone. You can't talk someone into liking another style of music by explaining that it's harder to play than the style they already listen to.

As far as I'm concerned, guitarists can only be objectively compared by their metronome BPM, but that isn't music and it doesn't prove one player is better than another. It just shows who has a better technique.

+Quote Post
Ric
Apr 3 2007, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Apr 3 2007, 08:28 PM) *
As far as I'm concerned, guitarists can only be objectively compared by their metronome BPM, but that isn't music and it doesn't prove one player is better than another. It just shows who has a better technique.

I sort of see what you're saying - comparing players by metronome speeds just tells you who's fastest - not who's best.

What makes someone "best"? As people have already discussed, that's an unanswerable question - but I genuinely believe it has nothing to do with speed, and lots to do with technique and, more importantly, musical inspiration.

It's a bit like when I'm riding my 'bike - speed in the right place is awesome (ZX6R A1P if anyone's interested biggrin.gif ), but used inappropriately it's plain stupid. What gets best results, however, is to have the skills and techniques and to apply them in all the right places.

I think the right answer to the original question is a confident "I'm okay". This suggests that you're confident in your own ability - but you know and acknowledge that there are far better players than you.

After all, if you were asked, are you a good bike rider, how many people on the planet could possibly answer "I'm brilliant"? Rossi, Doohan and others at the same level.

But the rest? Pedrosa, Edwards, Hayden and all the others - utterly brilliant as they are - would still have to concede that they could do better.

Are you really one of the top ten best players on the planet? Probably not*. In which case, humility and humbleness is by far the best way to go - and if it's a girl who's asking, then you're going to score far more points by being understated and quietly confident than by being egotistical and arrogant wink.gif

* I say this as probably one of the world's top ten worst players at the moment... but I'm working on it!

--------------------
Barmy Army! Barmy Army!

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 3 2007, 11:30 PM
My reply to this question always has been, and hopefully always will be, a confident and hopefully conversation- ending "I love playing", said with words and facial expression. If it's not a good enough answer for someone, and they ask again, I follow up with "I really like what I play." Conversation over, because if they ask again, I explain to them that the question is meaningless.

It's like asking someone if they're good at liking music.

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 3 2007, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
Jeff
Apr 4 2007, 05:51 PM
Always say "yes". Think positive and believe you are good - even if you suck - like me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:58 PM