Head Rush Pete Thorn/ola
Todd Simpson
May 12 2017, 04:41 AM
GMC:er
Seeing review vids for the HEAD RUSH. Not seeing anybody use much of the software control yet sad.gif Bummer. But the on board interface looks actually useable. Very similar to the 11r software on the computer interface. Which is very easy to get around. It's got a 7 inch touch screen which IMHO should be an industry standard on boxes that cost over 1k, especially boxes that cost over 2k. If these guys can put a color touch screen on for that price, surely other folks could as well. I hope this spurs folks on from using green/orange monochrome screens and even the Helix could use a touch interface. Folks adapt well to touch as our phones have taught us all how to use touch based bits smile.gif PETE THORN OLA

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 12 2017, 04:43 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Rammikin
May 12 2017, 10:07 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 12 2017, 03:41 AM) *
It's got a 7 inch touch screen which IMHO should be an industry standard on boxes that cost over 1k, especially boxes that cost over 2k.

A large color screen is undeniably nice. On the other hand, a touch screen on a floor processor is of questionable use.

If you're sitting at a desk in a studio with the processor on the floor, editing on a tablet or computer will always be better than using a touch screen on the processor. If you're playing while standing in front of the processor, using your feet will always be better than using a touch screen on the processor.

I think Line 6 got this right with their hands free editing. They considered using a touch screen on the Helix, but didn't do it because they understood it didn't make sense. The reason the Headrush has a touch screen is not because it's a good idea, but because Akai already had the technology available from their keyboard and beatbox products. The difference is, with a keyboard or beatbox, your hands are already close to the device when using it, so a touchscreen makes sense. Unless you play guitar while on your hands and knees, that's not true when using the Headrush smile.gif.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 12 2017, 02:13 PM
The Headrush has the ability to tweak everything on the floor all by foot as well as by hand via the bigger, color screen.

The advantage for many of a 'real' screen is going to be more in setting up the amps, cabs, fx, etc. pre gig or pre session. I myself can see using this exactly as employed by Pete Thorn in the top vid. On a desk or table in front of me while I record.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
May 12 2017, 04:52 PM
Experienced Rock Star
You're right, setting up the processor before a gig while sitting at a desk is very useful. The question is: does having a touch screen on the Headrush help you do that? At first glance, the answer might seem "yes". But these days, as Pete says in the video, setting up the processor is often about using IR's you download from the internet, or presets shared from an online community. For that, you want to use an app on your computer instead of the screen on the Headrush to set up the processor. Not only that, but consider other set up tasks you might want to do before a gig, for example loading favorite presets from a library saved on your computer, or backing up the processor before you start mucking with it. For these tasks you'll want to use your computer instead of the Headrush screen.

Look at Pete's desk. He's touching the Headrush screen to edit presets when it would be much better to use the computer he has right next to it smile.gif. He's being polite (he's canadian after all) by not mentioning how silly that is smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 12 2017, 05:05 PM
I imagine myself right infront of the amp while using the touch screen. If the sweetspot is away from the computer could be handy. A nice solution for the oldschool minded guys I guess...

Bluetooth seems popular for that too but I'm not a fan of phone or ipads, specially while holding the guitar I already feel carrying enough.

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 12 2017, 05:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 12 2017, 07:17 PM
Good point.
A lot of guys though will be taking these to sessions where they're in the control room with the producer/engineer/artist. That's an environment where you will be most likely sitting on the couch with that thing in front of you on a coffee table. Being able to re-route an effect or swap out a head or a cab with your pick hand is a plus.

There's definitely a player demographic that this fits.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
May 12 2017, 08:11 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I agree there's a demographic for it. I'm just saying I don't agree with the statement it "should be an industry standard". I'm pretty sure a touchscreen doesn't make sense for most of the potential customers for a processor like this.

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 12 2017, 08:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Personally I think a screen the you could remove and put on a take top either connected via hardwire or WiFi or Bluetooth would be perfect.

When you're older or heavy or have joint issues in the knees it would be ideal because you wouldn't have to carry a laptop or tablet along to gigs/sessions.

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 13 2017, 09:43 PM
I have to agree there smile.gif The software editor is always the best option IMHO, if available. The touch screen is great for doing quick adjustments when you don't have a computer in front of you. If you are going to have to get on the floor level to make adjustments to a floor processor, at least let it be to a touch screen instead of scrolling through endless menus using buttons IMHO.

Still I get what you are saying. I gotta say though, given how cheap touch screens are, not including a color touch screen, seems just a bit silly imho when making a box that is 2k plus. Even if one mostly uses another method, it's just a very handy feature.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 12 2017, 05:07 AM) *
A large color screen is undeniably nice. On the other hand, a touch screen on a floor processor is of questionable use.

If you're sitting at a desk in a studio with the processor on the floor, editing on a tablet or computer will always be better than using a touch screen on the processor. If you're playing while standing in front of the processor, using your feet will always be better than using a touch screen on the processor.

I think Line 6 got this right with their hands free editing. They considered using a touch screen on the Helix, but didn't do it because they understood it didn't make sense. The reason the Headrush has a touch screen is not because it's a good idea, but because Akai already had the technology available from their keyboard and beatbox products. The difference is, with a keyboard or beatbox, your hands are already close to the device when using it, so a touchscreen makes sense. Unless you play guitar while on your hands and knees, that's not true when using the Headrush smile.gif .

BINGO! smile.gif On a table, even without your laptop/ipad/etc. method, the touch screen is a very quick and easy way to make changes/build patches quickly. Just like pete is doing. Also, if one is using a standard floor processor live, one has to get down there to change things no matter what, so having a bright color display that responds to touch seems a better approach than knobs/buttons.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 12 2017, 09:13 AM) *
The Headrush has the ability to tweak everything on the floor all by foot as well as by hand via the bigger, color screen.

The advantage for many of a 'real' screen is going to be more in setting up the amps, cabs, fx, etc. pre gig or pre session. I myself can see using this exactly as employed by Pete Thorn in the top vid. On a desk or table in front of me while I record.

I agree with Pete here. It should be an industry standard. There is just no reason for it not to be. It's cheap. It doesn't increase costs that much, as shown by the price of the unit. Just no good reason not to put this technology in every processor 1k plus IMHO. It's benefits are clear it seems. I don't se a good reason NOT to include it? Certainly haven't read one in this thread yet.

Above that, I think it should be detachable EDIT: JUST NOTICED THIS WAS MENTIONED TOO!. This might increase costs, but tablets are cheap. Making the control surface able to pop out, and be battery powered and wireless. So you could keep it on a mic stand or something would be just killer. Granted, they should also let you control it with an IPAD/iPHONE etc. Same functionality reduced cost. Still, I'd like to see one with a pop out controller smile.gif Would be worth a few extra bucks imho.

That said, IPHONE / IPAD control is CRUCIAL IMHO. Just like the line 6 products have. I still can't believe the vaunted KEMPER doesn't even have a software editor, much less a Ipad/Ipod version of said editor. Also, axe and kemper, both using monochrome very tiny screens. Seems like they just want to maximize profit. Can't blame them as they are not a charity. Still, if line 6 can offer a ipad/ipod app, and computer based editing, everyone else should be able to do the same.

Ideally, the next wave will all have touch screens, in color, and have ipad/ipod apps, and software control. The head rush should have most of this if they ever fix the software plugin!!!

QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 12 2017, 03:11 PM) *
I agree there's a demographic for it. I'm just saying I don't agree with the statement it "should be an industry standard". I'm pretty sure a touchscreen doesn't make sense for most of the potential customers for a processor like this.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 13 2017, 09:44 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 13 2017, 10:42 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Not everyone has an iPhone or android phone. Just have a pop out panel with a cable interface. They can still have smart phone connectivity for those that want it.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 13 2017, 11:34 PM
That's what I was saying smile.gif Offer the pop out interface and offer a mobile version of the plugin as well as a Pc/Mac version of the plugin. That way, folks can interact with the unit in any way they want. That should be industry standard IMHO smile.gif Not forcing folks to use a tiny green interface box on the unit, or not letting them use software edit at all, or not having a mobile version. Just no excuse these days IMHO. If line 6 can offer most of this, the pricey boys could as well. I hope the HEAD RUSH folks lead the way with their touch interface and the next wave offers.

1.)pop out touch screen wireless control

2.)mobile app control (ios and android)

3.)Software editor (PC and mac)

That way, it's up to the user as to how they want to interact with their unit. It's just time folks. Im sure this will all happen at some point, I think it should happen now smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 13 2017, 05:42 PM) *
Not everyone has an iPhone or android phone. Just have a pop out panel with a cable interface. They can still have smart phone connectivity for those that want it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:34 PM