I Need Help!
SonofDestiny
Nov 13 2008, 01:26 PM
GMC:er
I know this isn't really what chilling out room is for, but ... I really need you guys to explain this to me:

Categorical Perception refers to a particular psychophysical phenomenon in which stimuli lying along a physical continuum are perceived in discrete perceptual classes, and stimulus pairs of a given physical difference along this continuum are easily discriminated when they straddle a category boundary, but poorly (or not at all) discriminated when they lie within a category.

I never have problems with English, but this is waaay above my head! I have read it 10+ times and I don't understand.

Please help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Nov 13 2008, 01:33 PM
Good luck.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 13 2008, 01:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Think of different stimulus laying in the reality world.All stimulus are categorized.We, people , can very easily distinguish between different categories.For example : we differ the category of color which we perceive with our sense of sight from category of sound which we precept with sense of hearing very easily. On the other hand when we have to differ between two similar colors or music notes (or sounds)(stuff that lays in the same sub category) its not so easy to do so as with major categories...

It just seems a little complicated but its pretty easy..

Hope this helps.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Nov 13 2008, 01:39 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 13 2008, 01:42 PM
Oooh right!! I get it now biggrin.gif Thanks a lot Bogdan!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 13 2008, 01:45 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 13 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Oooh right!! I get it now biggrin.gif Thanks a lot Bogdan!

You're welcome if need any more help just shoot smile.gif

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Nov 13 2008, 01:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 13 2008, 12:26 PM) *
Categorical Perception refers to a particular psychophysical phenomenon in which stimuli lying along a physical continuum are perceived in discrete perceptual classes, and stimulus pairs of a given physical difference along this continuum are easily discriminated when they straddle a category boundary, but poorly (or not at all) discriminated when they lie within a category.

Terrible piece of written english! Wouldn't win the award for clarity

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 13 2008, 01:52 PM
Hahah neuropsychologists all the way, Crazyfret! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 14 2008, 11:25 AM
Instructor
With that kind of stuff when you are pushing the brain to understand it will often not work. I would take a break, go take a walk or something on the fresh air, do something different and later it will be much clearer smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 14 2008, 11:26 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 14 2008, 12:37 PM
I've been writing till 2 AM in the morning last night. Started again at 9 today. Didn't get any further than 300 extra words so far. Haha... I finally feel like I'm really in university now sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 14 2008, 03:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 13 2008, 07:26 AM) *
I know this isn't really what chilling out room is for, but ... I really need you guys to explain this to me:

I never have problems with English, but this is waaay above my head! I have read it 10+ times and I don't understand.

Please help!

I hate it when I read stuff like this, it is like you can tell that the person writing it wants to show off his vocabulary, The writter could've said something much simpler like Bodgan did, but no, they feel the need to make you feel stupid. I quickly turn away from books like this.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 14 2008, 04:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Nov 14 2008, 03:10 PM) *
I hate it when I read stuff like this, it is like you can tell that the person writing it wants to show off his vocabulary, The writter could've said something much simpler like Bodgan did, but no, they feel the need to make you feel stupid. I quickly turn away from books like this.

I'm with you 100% mate, I just wanna finish the Uni and get back to playing ASAP sad.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Nov 14 2008, 05:21 PM
Singing Instructor
I would not understand it if it was on serbian.But thanks Bogdan for the clarifitation.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 14 2008, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Nov 14 2008, 12:37 PM) *
I've been writing till 2 AM in the morning last night. Started again at 9 today. Didn't get any further than 300 extra words so far. Haha... I finally feel like I'm really in university now sad.gif

I'm sure you'll write your paper...I'm sure you'll soon adapt to the university work...And yeah that was really not well put definition (and English use)... It should have been much easier to understand...

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 14 2008, 05:50 PM
Oh my, that was some serious showing off. I've understood it for second reading but that's because I'm used to academic English. These stuff simply drive me crazy too at the university

Btw, ofc you can distinguish perceptions from different areas more (percieved by different senses) than those that are coming from the same area and only differ in their characteristics (colours, temperature). So what? Who didn't know that?

IMO the author too was embarrassed to put such evidence on paper that's why it was necessary to write it in disguise... ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 14 2008, 09:17 PM
Guys, thanks a lot for the help and encouragement! I finished the paper about an hour ago. For the ones interested, it was about the connection between music and language. Will let you know whether it was worth the effort spending so much time on smile.gif!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 14 2008, 09:33 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 13 2008, 07:38 AM) *
Think of different stimulus laying in the reality world.All stimulus are categorized.We, people , can very easily distinguish between different categories.For example : we differ the category of color which we perceive with our sense of sight from category of sound which we precept with sense of hearing very easily. On the other hand when we have to differ between two similar colors or music notes (or sounds)(stuff that lays in the same sub category) its not so easy to do so as with major categories...

It just seems a little complicated but its pretty easy..

Hope this helps.. smile.gif

I'm impressed Bogdan. Provided that "stimulus pairs of a given physical difference" means what we think he means, that is "a pair that contains two stimuli which are categorized in separate discrete classes."

If so, the writer is saying what every 6 year old knows, but saying it in a way that even adults have a difficult time figuring out what he is talking about.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 14 2008, 09:37 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:08 AM