Muting Question, trouble on 3rd fret - A & D strings
Hyunkell
Dec 24 2008, 02:16 AM
GMC:er
Hello GMC,

I've been playing the guitar for about 3 months now (had to take quite a long break due to school), so I'm quite a beginner smile.gif
I finally felt confident that I could take a try at the following lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/in-the...-black-sabbath/

I ran into quite a problem though, which I can't seem to figure out on my own.
When moving my finger from the A string to the D string on 3rd fret (or the other way around), I get a very high pitched screamy sound when releasing the first string, just as if I would have played a natural harmonic.

CODE
-------------                                          -------------
----------3--     sounds like                          ----------3--
--3----------                                          --3------30-- (or something like that)

For some reason I only encountered this problem on 3rd fret on the A and D string.
Since I'm a beginner, and I'm mostly trying to teach myself (with the help of the lessons here at GMC of course), is it possible that something is wrong with my technique?
Am I somehow supposed to mute the strings in a special way in this specific area?

Thanks! smile.gif
Hyu

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hyunkell: Dec 24 2008, 02:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 24 2008, 02:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hmm? Very strange that it only happens on the 3rd fret. Can you post a video and maybe we could help more.

There is no special way to fret the 3rd one but learning to mute unwanted noise is something you will need to pay really close attention to as a beginner. If you play the lick really slow do you still hear the noise?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 24 2008, 02:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Hyunkell @ Dec 24 2008, 02:16 AM) *
Hello GMC,

I've been playing the guitar for about 3 months now (had to take quite a long break due to school), so I'm quite a beginner smile.gif
I finally felt confident that I could take a try at the following lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/in-the...-black-sabbath/

I ran into quite a problem though, which I can't seem to figure out on my own.
When moving my finger from the A string to the D string on 3rd fret (or the other way around), I get a very high pitched screamy sound when releasing the first string, just as if I would have played a natural harmonic.

CODE
----------3--     sounds like                          ----------3--
--3----------                                          --3------30-- (or something like that)

For some reason I only encountered this problem on 3rd fret on the A and D string.
Since I'm a beginner, and I'm mostly trying to teach myself (with the help of the lessons here at GMC of course), is it possible that something is wrong with my technique?
Am I somehow supposed to mute the strings in a special way in this specific area?

Thanks! smile.gif
Hyu

Hi Hyu,
Depending on how you are playing it it could be a flaw in your technique. Try "rolling" your finger rather than lifting it when moving from the A to D string. Your finger should still be touching the A string but not fretting it so it should mute it out. Try fretting the A string with your first finger and the D string with your second finger and see if you still get the noise. I think you just need to practice the "rolling" technique when playing adjacent strings on the same fret. Hope I was clear and that this helps. Merry Christmas biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 24 2008, 02:36 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I think you have received some good advice here. Might be the fact that you are lifting your finger and actually getting a harmonic tone. As Jeff said, play it slow, then, as Monte pointed out, roll your finger down to the D string and see what happens. Then rip off a sweep arpeggio to the high E.. smile.gif No man, kidding of course, I'm still a beginner too and would love to help you all I can.

Welcome to GMC. And by the way, your going to learn loads here.. smile.gif Don't forget to take a moment and introduce yourself HERE

See you around, and ask all the questions you need.. It will help you tremendously. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hyunkell
Dec 24 2008, 03:05 AM
Thank you all for your help smile.gif

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until tomorrow in order to try out your advice, since some people around here are trying to sleep, and I can't remember where I've hidden my headphones laugh.gif

I do indeed use some kind of rolling movement to change strings while playing on the same fret, as lifting usually causes a pulloff sound, since you need to move rather fast in this situation.
It also seems to happen regardless of whether I'm playing slowly or fast.

I'm actually not quite so sure anymore if it only happens in this specific area. I do know it doesn't happen further down the fretboard, as that's where I played most of the time lately, and I probably didn't notice the problem before, as I had enough trouble finding the proper frets laugh.gif

If I can't make any progress on this tomorrow, I'll try to post a video of the issue.
I'll also try to be more active on the forums smile.gif

Thanks again,
Hyu

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 24 2008, 04:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well let use know man and don't be shy ph34r.gif

If you need help then just ask. Thats why we are all here smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 24 2008, 07:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hyunkell @ Dec 24 2008, 02:16 AM) *

Or you playing on high gain,maybe humbucker guitar?
If yes then you're probably getting real natural harmonics.
Try to place your finger on sweet spot, away from fret if possible
to avoid that harmonic.
Also apply some right hand muting,harmonic will not come out
if string is slightly touched. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Hyunkell
Dec 24 2008, 11:38 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Dec 24 2008, 07:56 AM) *
Or you playing on high gain,maybe humbucker guitar?
If yes then you're probably getting real natural harmonics.
Try to place your finger on sweet spot, away from fret if possible
to avoid that harmonic.
Also apply some right hand muting,harmonic will not come out
if string is slightly touched. smile.gif

Thanks Muris smile.gif this was spot on.
Since this was my first lesson in which I have to play natural harmonics in some part, I increased the gain, as that made it easier to get the harmonics to come out.
This also explains why I didn't notice it happening before.

I think I'll have a deeper look at Ivan's muting lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...g-101-tutorial/
before continuing on the Black Sabbath one, as I still lack alot in that domain, and finally seem to understand how important a proper muting technique is.

Thanks
Hyu

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 24 2008, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Glad it helped,cheers. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Toroso
Dec 24 2008, 02:03 PM
QUOTE (Hyunkell @ Dec 24 2008, 05:38 AM) *
I think I'll have a deeper look at Ivan's muting lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...g-101-tutorial/
before continuing on the Black Sabbath one, as I still lack alot in that domain, and finally seem to understand how important a proper muting technique is.

Hi Hyu and welcome! I was gonna suggest you check out that very lesson. It has been very helpful to me. Just think about what he says while practicing and apply it. When you free jam it will be second nature and make your playing sound so much better.

cheers biggrin.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:13 PM