3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Re: Kirk Hammet Solos
Viz
Jan 1 2008, 04:44 PM
GMC:er
Sort of a response to the other Kirk Hammet thread (Some Kindo of Monster) While I love that video, because, just as people have pointed out, it is refreshing to see that everyone is human, I like to counter with a youtube video of my own. I personally think that people cant see the forest for all the trees, meaning there are so many great metal solos created and performed by kirk that people tend to disregard them, focus on really famous ones such as Master of Puppets, and go on to discuss his over use of the wah-wah or whatever.

Anway here are a few enlightening vidoes that has been collecting dust in my bookmark list for a while:

Collection of solos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKiormZsvEg...feature=related

-

Since they rarely play those songs live, its hard to find youtube versions of odd songs of the Justice album for example, songs like Shortest Straw and Frayed ends of Sanity, I recommend re-listening those if you have them in your playlist...

New NEM intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubtER-ECMwg...feature=related

And finally a video not by kirk but a piano version of NEM that might be worth a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZK4Hd28VA

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 1 2008, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Kirk is a BIG player,no doubt there,you can read this in many ways
but he has left a great mark in guitar history and I surely appreciate that smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Viz
Jan 1 2008, 04:53 PM
he, yes perhaps you can read big in many ways, but I sort of see where you are going though smile.gif

This post has been edited by Viz: Jan 1 2008, 04:55 PM

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Jan 1 2008, 05:03 PM
Learning Roadie
kirk hammet inspired me to play guitar and he is one of my fav players and i agree that some people ignore many of his solos but most guitarists wont do that.
and that "intro" to nothing else matters isnt a new intro, its a kirk "doodle" which led into nothing else matters... they have kirk doodles on every live show tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Viz
Jan 1 2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry, yes I know its a kirk doodle, but you are right that it is not new. But I disagree about guitarits not ignoring his solos. I dont think I ever really listened to the Shortest Straw solo before until a week ago, and I've listened to Metallica for many years (for example). I learned the song Blackened a few days ago (the rythm track) and was amazed by the solo (when I really studied it) though I've heard it many times. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jan 1 2008, 05:13 PM
Kirk studied under joe satriani and learned NOTHING. THAT is why i cant respect him.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Jan 1 2008, 05:16 PM
Learning Roadie
i can guarentee he learnt something! even if its just his attitude towards music or how much vibrato to use... maybe satriani's style wasnt the way kirk wanted to go but he used what he learnt in a different style.

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Viz
Jan 1 2008, 05:24 PM
Guitarman700, I am sorry but I cant really care for your posts regarding Kirk or Metallica, you are obliviously unable to give constructive criticism on this topic. I don't really see any reason to phrase a counter argument since there is not much of an argument to counter.

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Jan 1 2008, 06:06 PM
Learning Roadie
oh yea... and as for guitarists ignoring kirks solos, you may be one person who has until now, but i didnt, ive listened to metallica for years and i can say that i have attempted to play every solo and listen to almost all of them on a regular basis.

i guess its my word against yours here tongue.gif

This post has been edited by muntahunta: Jan 1 2008, 06:06 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Viz
Jan 1 2008, 06:28 PM
ahaha, I am glad to hear I was wrong smile.gif

Good luck, hope you nail them!
I'd love to hear any recording of it, especially any MoP or Justice solo.

This post has been edited by Viz: Jan 1 2008, 06:41 PM

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jan 1 2008, 08:20 PM
I was simply stating my opinion, as were you. i respect yours, but it seems you cant respect mine.
@ muntahunta: good luck on the solos hope you nail them! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Jan 1 2008, 08:21 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Viz
Jan 1 2008, 08:23 PM
okay... er, well whatever rows your boat my friend.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 1 2008, 08:42 PM
I've always paid attention to his solos, and learned many of them. He's come up with some of the most creative, cool sounding solos ever, imo. It doesn't have to be Sixteenth notes at 300bpm's to be awesome music to me.

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Jan 1 2008, 08:54 PM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 1 2008, 08:43 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok guys, keep it civil ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Philippe
Jan 1 2008, 08:57 PM
Concerning the thread on "some kind of monsters". It doesn't make any point. James showed kirk a new riff, and it took him a few minutes to get it right. What's the big deal? it was not something so difficult that Kirk couldn't play. He just had to memorize it...

Now, it's clear that Kirk Hammet is not a exceptional guitar player. There are tons of players much better than him (famous or not). However, he's far from being a loser. He wrote some nice solos, he performed tons of shows and sold millions of albums. I think that he's probably the guy that inspired most of us to start guitar in the first place.

Seriously, who cares if Kirk is better than Friedman or whoever? it sounds like "is batman better than superman?". Metallica is a great band, that's a fact!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 1 2008, 08:58 PM
QUOTE (Philippe @ Jan 1 2008, 01:57 PM) *
Seriously, who cares if Kirk is better than Friedman or whoever? it sounds like "is batman better than superman?". Metallica is a great band, that's a fact!

THANKYOU!!!

That's a very good way to put it smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jan 1 2008, 09:06 PM
QUOTE (Philippe @ Jan 1 2008, 08:57 PM) *
Now, it's clear that Kirk Hammet is not a exceptional guitar player. There are tons of players much better than him (famous or not). However, he's far from being a loser. He wrote some nice solos, he performed tons of shows and sold millions of albums. I think that he's probably the guy that inspired most of us to start guitar in the first place.

Exceptional enough to earn him 11th place in RollingStones Magazine's The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Viz
Jan 1 2008, 09:17 PM
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jan 1 2008, 09:06 PM) *
Exceptional enough to earn him 11th place in RollingStones Magazine's The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. smile.gif

He has had various top positions in other charts as well (and I believe he belongs there), but charts are always very subjective, Rolling Stones's more then most.

+Quote Post
Philippe
Jan 1 2008, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (Viz @ Jan 1 2008, 09:17 PM) *
He has had various top positions in other charts as well (and I believe he belongs there), but charts are always very subjective, Rolling Stones's more then most.

This ranking has to do with the fame of Metallica, Hammet is the lead guitarist of the band... that's why he's up there. But then, Hetfield should be there too because he contributed certainly more than hammet in the success of the band.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jan 1 2008, 09:31 PM
QUOTE (Philippe @ Jan 1 2008, 09:28 PM) *
This ranking has to do with the fame of Metallica, Hammet is the lead guitarist of the band... that's why he's up there. But then, Hetfield should be there too because he contributed certainly more than hammet in the success of the band.

In 2003 - IIRC - he was the first to enter Guitar Worlds Hall of Fame. laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:23 AM