2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How To Use Guitar Pro ?
jstcrsn
Oct 4 2009, 12:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
how do i use this, every time i try the computer wants to take me to some web site where i have to buy something,that i don't even know if it will work.is there a way to do this for free.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 4 2009, 12:52 PM
GMC:er
It sounds as though you don't have the program installed. Guitar Pro is both a file format and a program and it ain't free. It is handy though and worth getting a copy. Tabs are pretty useless to me for music is about timing and not just notes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 4 2009, 12:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
If you don't want to spend money then download Tux Guitar. It is a free program, that is very similar to Guitar Pro, and it can open Guitar Pro and Power Tab files.

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 4 2009, 12:59 PM
Cool. Have you used both, Matt? If so, how do they compare? I haven't used Guitar Pro so long that I can't make the switch ...

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 4 2009, 01:07 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've only ever used the free trial of GP a long time ago so I really can't compare them. I've always been under the impression that GP is better though the only actual feature I know it has that Tux doesn't is the RSE. You might as well try Tux but I'm pretty sure it isn't as good as GP. The only reason I use it is I haven't got enough money to buy good software when I can get something similar that's probably slightly worse for free.

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 4 2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks. Good to know. Although, I have been switching RSE off lately and routing the sound elsewhere .... tongue.gif So the differences, for me, are cancelled out. I will have to check this prog out some day. Cheers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 4 2009, 08:51 PM
Instructor
I think TuxGuitar is good alternative. It doesn't have that much features, but it serves the purpose. You can install both and run parallel until you make a complete switch.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Oct 4 2009, 08:58 PM
The main purpose of these programs is to tab your songs (Or at least, is what I think), so you don't forget them. I'll recommend you to don't worry about what program use to write your songs. It's totally relative. I think that you should worry about getting software's like Cubase, Sonar, Nuendo, etc, for Pro Sound. So you can start recording some stuff and make it sound "real" with the VST's plugins.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 4 2009, 09:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
TuxGuitar is a good free software that will let you use guitar pro tabs and make them yourself. It doesn't have as many features like guitar pro but for basic use is very good.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 4 2009, 10:07 PM
Learning Roadie
hi, i agree with santiago a D.A.W. like cubase or sonar is most important for creating songs and it can do so much more!

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 4 2009, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry I bought Guitar Pro. It is buggy as heck, at least the Mac version is, and their "Priority Support" is a joke, as in non-existant. They're so busy working on v6, they can't be bothered to get v5 working correctly.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Oct 5 2009, 12:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jdriver @ Oct 4 2009, 11:50 PM) *
I'm sorry I bought Guitar Pro. It is buggy as heck, at least the Mac version is, and their "Priority Support" is a joke, as in non-existant. They're so busy working on v6, they can't be bothered to get v5 working correctly.

Hmmmmm......I have the Mac version and haven't had any problems. What kind of problems have you had jdriver??? smile.gif

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 5 2009, 02:13 AM
In version 5.3.1 which they produced for Snow Leopard compatibility. I don't know if this problem was there before.

First, if you click the button to switch to left hand fretboard, it's bigger and has more buttons at the top.
More seriously, on right hand fretboard, i select capo at 7th fret and that's what it says at the top of the score, but the bar appears on the fretboard right on top of fret 9, and pretty much any note you click on the right of the bar is wrong.
If you reverse the fretboard, the capo appears in the right place and the notes are correct.

Less important but still a bug, the red close button on the keyboard and fretboard do nothing, you have to click on the icon on the status bar at the bottom to make them appear/disappear.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Oct 5 2009, 02:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jdriver @ Oct 5 2009, 02:13 AM) *
In version 5.3.1 which they produced for Snow Leopard compatibility. I don't know if this problem was there before.

First, if you click the button to switch to left hand fretboard, it's bigger and has more buttons at the top.
More seriously, on right hand fretboard, i select capo at 7th fret and that's what it says at the top of the score, but the bar appears on the fretboard right on top of fret 9, and pretty much any note you click on the right of the bar is wrong.
If you reverse the fretboard, the capo appears in the right place and the notes are correct.

Less important but still a bug, the red close button on the keyboard and fretboard do nothing, you have to click on the icon on the status bar at the bottom to make them appear/disappear.

I'm not running snow leopard.....maybe that is why I'm not having any problems.........

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Oct 9 2009, 03:19 PM
I suspect guitar pro is more important for some more than others. For instance, people without highspeed internet (like myself), I can't play along with the video lessons. The guitar pro files are a good alternative and because you can alter bpm's and tuning (very useful for those players with non-fixed bridges who want to play along with lessons with different tuning - for instance, I used to play several of Liam's lessons in standard tuning until I set my guitar to D# tuning recently - now I do the opposite with standard tuning).

I haven't checked out Tuxguitar but I think it sounds like a great alternative - I don't use the RSE engine for guitar pro anyways.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 9 2009, 04:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (TheOldOnes @ Oct 9 2009, 04:19 PM) *
I suspect guitar pro is more important for some more than others. For instance, people without highspeed internet (like myself), I can't play along with the video lessons. The guitar pro files are a good alternative and because you can alter bpm's and tuning (very useful for those players with non-fixed bridges who want to play along with lessons with different tuning - for instance, I used to play several of Liam's lessons in standard tuning until I set my guitar to D# tuning recently - now I do the opposite with standard tuning).

I haven't checked out Tuxguitar but I think it sounds like a great alternative - I don't use the RSE engine for guitar pro anyways.

Try it out its free - http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/download.html

Basically it performs all the basic functions of the Guitar Pro well.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 10 2009, 07:57 PM
I only ever really use Guitar Pro to help me learn the timing in video lessons more thoroughly. I prefer standard music notation for that over normal tab as it is a lot clearer. At least for me. I never really looked at possible uses for it apart from that but thank you all for your comments as now I can see it has more possibilities than just that. And no I would never seriously consider it as a composition tool. Fingers, guitar and the record button are much more effective yeah for sure! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 10 2009, 09:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Neurologi @ Oct 10 2009, 08:57 PM) *
I only ever really use Guitar Pro to help me learn the timing in video lessons more thoroughly. I prefer standard music notation for that over normal tab as it is a lot clearer. At least for me. I never really looked at possible uses for it apart from that but thank you all for your comments as now I can see it has more possibilities than just that. And no I would never seriously consider it as a composition tool. Fingers, guitar and the record button are much more effective yeah for sure! smile.gif

I only prefer it for keyboard, drums and such, and you can then just turn off the tab-part of the score in GP. By now I could basically write stuff in it blindfolded. That said, what I actually wanted to point out, which probably shouldn't be discussed here is that standard music notation actually isn't as accurate tabs (with notation above or rythm marking), as standard notation doesn't say anything about which string to play the note on (you know, the same note can be played many places on the neck and still be in the same octave.) wink.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 10 2009, 10:05 PM
That's why GP is perfect. Best of both worlds! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr GuitarTube
Oct 21 2009, 02:24 PM
a pro guitarist use the skill to play big arenas.not smoky clubs

--------------------
i am guitartube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:09 PM