Hurting Hand And Gauge Of Strings
Leviathan
Apr 3 2007, 06:18 AM
GMC:er
Yeah I took a day break because my thumb and hand were hurting. I don't want to end up getting carpal tunnel. I got a pair of 11 gauge strings for my guitar because I heard a friend say that they give an awesome sound for metal. So I bought them but haven't used them. I read the pack of strings and it said for jazz and blues i think... I want a good pair of Heavy metal strings can someone help me.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Zee Deveel
Apr 3 2007, 10:51 AM
I've not experimented with strings much to be honest... But it's my understanding that if you want heavy riffage; then you want heavy strings. Shredding and fast work will be easier on light strings though. Since I play all different types of stuff from shred/metal/ska/funk etc I stick with 10s.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Apr 3 2007, 10:52 AM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 4 2007, 08:29 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Heavy gauge strings arent good at tunings like D Standard or Above, the tone of heavy gauge string comes out best at low tuning like C Standard, Drop B, B Standard or Drop A. If you use E Standard then heavy gauge strings arent your thing, i use Ultra Lights for my Ibanez at E Standard, .09's for my othe ibanez whicH i keep at D Standard or Drop C, And on my washburn i have "Super Heavys" which are just like .11's with one extra wind around the string, which i have at C Standard or lower, this is how i break it down.

String Size and recommended tuning:
-Ultra Lights - E Standard
-Lights ------- E Standard / Drop D
-Mediums---- D Standard / Drop C
-Heavys ----- C Standard / Drop B / B Standard / Drop A

And after you figure out that, try many differnet strings to see which gives you the best tone and playability.

+Quote Post
moles
Apr 5 2007, 01:42 AM
experiment to see what gauge of strings suits you best

i use 9s because i like to the bend the strings biggrin.gif

becareful about messing with string gauges if you have a tremolo though tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:47 PM