2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Practicing Bends
Qenzoz
Sep 10 2012, 05:26 PM
GMC:er
Hello, all you mighty people out there! smile.gif

I've been wondering how to actually practice bends efficiently, I've been thinking about maybe using a tuner and then try and use that to bend it up to the right tone.
Other way is I play with the original track/piece and just try and get my bends to sound the same way, else I just count on my ears and hope they aren't totally ruined, or try and feel it.

I also get that bends are a lot about feeling, but I'd like to get to the point where all my bends are in pitch if I want them to be in pitch tongue.gif

Cheers & thanks in advance! biggrin.gif

Tobias

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 10 2012, 06:27 PM
i got this one exercise from paul gilbert, where you play a scale in one string, but instead of picking the notes, you do it bending them

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Sep 10 2012, 07:32 PM
Alex suggested to use a tuner and I likes that way. As MonkeyDAthos said you can bend the noets on the scale, but it implyes a good ear
(what I don't have)
Carmine

This post has been edited by carminemarotta: Sep 10 2012, 07:44 PM

+Quote Post
Socky42
Sep 10 2012, 07:43 PM
bend, then play the note you intended so it sounds like 2 of the same note?

I dunno, thats just something I always did.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christophe
Sep 10 2012, 07:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Sep 10 2012, 08:43 PM) *
bend, then play the note you intended so it sounds like 2 of the same note?

I dunno, thats just something I always did.

I'm used to this technique too.

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 10 2012, 08:01 PM
There is also a cool one i like to use tongue.gif, for example if you are in C u bend to D the go down to C# the go back to D then release in C

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Sep 10 2012, 09:02 PM
...and like MonkeyDAthos signature says, do not forget the face! Seriously

Carmine

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 10 2012, 09:19 PM
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Sep 10 2012, 09:02 PM) *
...and like MonkeyDAthos signature says, do not forget the face! Seriously

Carmine

laugh.gif laugh.gif that's the secret ingredient

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2012, 06:54 AM
Instructor
I tend to agree with the one implying the tuner smile.gif Anyway, bending - the nice juicy one, comes with time so don't get frustrated because it's not as you hear it in Zakk Wylde's playing for instance. It'll come, but you need to give it some time and work on your ears. For instance I have seen Guthrie do a nice exercise - he played 4 descending chromatic notes and then he bended up to the highest of them and went down going through each half step in the same way as we would've picked notes on different positions tongue.gif That's what I call bending control!

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 11 2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the tips smile.gif

And yeah Cosmin, Govan is seriously a great bender, I've tried doing that half step chromatic bending he does, and all I can say is that it looks a lot easier than it is to actually play it! tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2012, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Sep 11 2012, 07:13 AM) *
Thanks for all the tips smile.gif

And yeah Cosmin, Govan is seriously a great bender, I've tried doing that half step chromatic bending he does, and all I can say is that it looks a lot easier than it is to actually play it! tongue.gif

It's all in the ear man, nothing more! Work on it till it gets there! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 11 2012, 09:07 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Bends have been one of the main things Ive been working on since signing up here. It can be frustrating because it looks sooo easy when you see good guitarists hitting great bends with ease.
Ive gotten a lot of help from Cosmin regarding bends and his lesson 'the voice of your guitar' is a great one to practice them.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 11 2012, 09:24 AM
Instructor
Qenzoz ! First of all, make sure your guitar is in tune and then before you bend, play the note that you're bending to to keep it in your mind. You can do it on the same string or an adjacent string. Using the same string means it doesn't matter if your guitar isn't 100% in tune.

-Let's say that you're playing D on the 7th fret, G string. You want to try bending a whole tone, so play the note of E on the 9th fret. Then try bending to it.

-Keep repeating with any intervals that you want to practise. It's a good instant way of using trial and error and feel to hone your ability to reach the desired sound. After a while, you fingers will instinctively know how much pressure to exert to reach a whole tone, semitone etc..

This is a great lesson for bending because the techniques are just isolated, no other melodies to distract you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 11 2012, 09:25 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2012, 03:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 11 2012, 08:07 AM) *
Bends have been one of the main things Ive been working on since signing up here. It can be frustrating because it looks sooo easy when you see good guitarists hitting great bends with ease.
Ive gotten a lot of help from Cosmin regarding bends and his lesson 'the voice of your guitar' is a great one to practice them.

Thank you man smile.gif I am still waiting for that recording biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 11 2012, 06:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 11 2012, 03:32 PM) *
I am still waiting for that recording biggrin.gif

LOL! Im on it mr cosmin sir laugh.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 11 2012, 07:07 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
My bending is very inconsistent sometimes. It has improved from when I first joined GMC though thanks to some good advice. I had a habit of not releasing to the note to original pitch, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I question my ear though. I work in a loud environment so that is my excuse. wink.gif

Playing a note and then bending up to it is effective training. It has helped me to a least improve a bit. I'll play a note then bend a half step, whole, and whole & half step. I also sometimes play a bend and then look up at the tuner on my monitor to see how accurate my pitch is. All stuff I have picked up from GMC instructors.

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Sep 11 2012, 07:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 12 2012, 07:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 11 2012, 05:25 PM) *
LOL! Im on it mr cosmin sir laugh.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 11 2012, 06:07 PM) *
My bending is very inconsistent sometimes. It has improved from when I first joined GMC though thanks to some good advice. I had a habit of not releasing to the note to original pitch, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I question my ear though. I work in a loud environment so that is my excuse. wink.gif

Playing a note and then bending up to it is effective training. It has helped me to a least improve a bit. I'll play a note then bend a half step, whole, and whole & half step. I also sometimes play a bend and then look up at the tuner on my monitor to see how accurate my pitch is. All stuff I have picked up from GMC instructors.

DG - Can you practice ear training as early in the morning as possible? That's when the ears had a good rest and they can pick up things much more easily wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 12 2012, 09:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 12 2012, 07:05 AM) *
wink.gif

DG - Can you practice ear training as early in the morning as possible? That's when the ears had a good rest and they can pick up things much more easily wink.gif

He does ! He listens out for when his wife puts on the coffee machine and then he rushes downstairs !! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 12 2012, 01:42 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 12 2012, 06:05 AM) *
wink.gif

Very good point, Cosmin. It is probably best for me to work on this in the morning and with some fresh ears.

Well, gotta run... I think I hear the coffee maker! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2012, 08:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 12 2012, 12:42 PM) *
Very good point, Cosmin. It is probably best for me to work on this in the morning and with some fresh ears.

Well, gotta run... I think I hear the coffee maker! biggrin.gif

Oh biggrin.gif Well, DG, ask your wife to get a musical coffee maker - when the coffee is ready, you will have to name the interval it will produce, otherwise NO COFFEE! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:10 AM