First lesson of Eyal Ganel, This is a solo that i wrote for my band
Rockwouldbe
Feb 1 2007, 09:22 PM
Rock Instructor
Hey to you all my name is Eyal Ganel

I am 23 I live in Israel; I have been playing for 12 years. Usually I play grunge style and little bit Arabic influences.
Right now I am working on a project of grunge with people in my area.
I live in Sderot which is a city in Israel known for rockets and good music that is influenced by Arabic scales.
Nice to meet you guys. And I hope you are going to like my lessons.

Now just recently i joined a Band in the style of Grunge
i had to pick up a different sound of what i am using usually
i think this a very typical grunge solo. There is the Blues inside. We all know where this entire grunge comes from originally.
And there are the elements of Metal.

Attached File  main_video.wmv ( 7.3MB ) Number of downloads: 1512

I like using a lot of stretches in my solos, at beginning and after shredding if I may call it a shredding (sorry all you crazy fast guitar players).
It helps to cool it down and especially to bring more sensitivity into your playing after you finish the "shredding" part . there people who understand me that usally it is hard for them to play clean notes straight after they finished shredding .

I hope you like my solo it is a song that we are working at the moment .

Rock on

Now let's work
SLOW VIDEOS

Video 1 :Attached File  main_video.wmv ( 7.3MB ) Number of downloads: 1512

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----10b(12)--12p(10)--7--7h8 5--------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The First bend you see that is going until it is B it is the fifth of E so it is a nice way of entering a solo

try do it slow the first Bend it gives all the feel

video 2: Attached File  video_2_beta.wmv ( 2.37MB ) Number of downloads: 425

evry thing in palm mute
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-----7--5--4--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------7--5---------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------7--5---------5/7+--------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------7--5--5---------------------------------------------|

this is a very commen thing in grunge after the bending

comes heavey notes with an end to the phrase with harmonic

very nice indeed

E panta

i did a note from the minor in the middle
e|----------------------------------5--7---------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------5--8--------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------7--(5)-4-------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------5--7----------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------5--7---------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----5--7--------------------------------------------------------------------|

Video 3: Attached File  My_Movie_3_beta.wmv ( 4.16MB ) Number of downloads: 1101

e|----------------------12--14--15--/17-*15--14--12------------------------------|
B|----15b(17)--15b(17)----------------*--------------15--13--12-----------------|
G|-----------------------------------*---------------------------------14--12--11---|
D|----------------------------------*-------------------------------------------------|
A|------------first phrase---------*-------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--14--12--10------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------14--12--/14------------------------------------------------|

if you realize the movemnt in the scale which it is only going down in the scale after the first phrase . and again finsihing
with the fifth of Am the rhytem (E)

Video 4 :Attached File  My_Movie_4_beta.wmv ( 7.77MB ) Number of downloads: 398

e|-----------------*-------12h15p12-----*----17p15p12 (15)--*----------|
B|-12h-15-p-12-- *----------------15---*-----------------------*----------|
G|--------------14-*-x8-----------------* x8--------------------*-x8------|
D|-----------------*----------------------*-----------------------*----------|
A|-----------------*----------------------*-----------------------*----------|
E|-----------------*----------------------*-----------------------*----------|

ok this part is the harder one. now this i would recommend on starting really slow.
for example start with a bpm of 50 and do one on each click.

i don't know an easy way of study stuff like this except working with a metronome and slowly
do faster and faster.

E panta
e|---------------------------------------------12--15--------------14-15-17--------|
B|-------------------------------------12--15---------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------12--14----------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------12--14-----------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------12--14------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-------12--15------------------------------------------------------------------|

I would look on the last part as taken from minor, this way it is easy to understand what is going on

video 5: Attached File  My_Movie_5_beta.wmv ( 3.06MB ) Number of downloads: 321

e|---17b(19) 17b(19)r17---15--14--12----------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------15--13--12--10--\12----------|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I don't know if you noticed but the chords for this solo

it is only Em Am so once again i am giving the feel with the fifth of

Em (E G cool.gif
1 3 5

well that is for now. i really hope you enjoyed it . i think it is very easy to play.
always remmber. speed will never be more immportant then what you actualy say, with the guitar.
so don't forget to do nice things not only fast and complicated .
steve vai is great and is one of my favorite . but also Gilmor when he touch the guitar it is like heaven.

here is the backing for the tracks

Attached File  backing_track_fast.mp3 ( 889.72K ) Number of downloads: 357

Attached File  backing_track_slow.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 338

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rockwouldbe: Feb 2 2007, 02:18 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  video_1_beta.wmv ( 2.57MB ) Number of downloads: 285

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 2 2007, 01:10 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome Eyal - a first "aspiring" lesson! biggrin.gif

On this board we need feedback more than anywhere else - so please if you have gone through the videos let us know what you thought.

Eyal has asked me why I can't let him do some "real" gmc lessons - and I believe he has quite some work left to do with his playing. Can anyone ellaborate on this (in a constructive way).

I also want to say that if you see an of these "[font=Courier New]" it means you probably didn't select the whole tab before choosing font - Eyal, please go in and edit this!

Kris smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 2 2007, 01:39 AM
Instructor
May i post an opinion??

I downloaded the MAIN_Video and i can say you'll have problems with thumb if you are planning to shred. You keep it way too high.

Also you should work on muting strings you don't play, because you have lot's of noise out there. (My_Movie_3_beta)

This post has been edited by Pavel: Feb 2 2007, 01:45 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Feb 2 2007, 02:21 AM
Rock Instructor
Also you should work on muting strings you don't play, because you have lot's of noise out there. (My_Movie_3_beta)
[/quote]

thank you pavel for the opnion. i do like the way you play.

i will take it and just pay attantion now

Eyal

--------------------
My gear:
Guitar it is a passion

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 2 2007, 03:45 AM
GMC:er
Well I was pretty impressed with the video quality. Very good closeups and good lighting.
My one critisism is one you can easily solve.
Your guitar has unusual fret markers, very dark, that blend into the fretboard. From a pupils point of view it would be more helpfull to be able to see the fret markers more clearly - it may be worth "painting" some dots in with tip-ex just to make it visually easier to see which frets you are playing?

Other than that - very well done - good, well laid out lesson, easily understood. Thanks for sharing it with us.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Feb 2 2007, 04:03 AM
Rock Instructor
"
Well I was pretty impressed with the video quality. Very good closeups and good lighting.
My one critisism is one you can easily solve.
Your guitar has unusual fret markers, very dark, that blend into the fretboard. From a pupils point of view it would be more helpfull to be able to see the fret markers more clearly - it may be worth "painting" some dots in with tip-ex just to make it visually easier to see which frets you are playing?"

thank you very much fretdancer. next time i will shoot i will pay extra attantion.
thank you again.

Eyal

p.s i use the Pod xtl also do you want me to post the models i use in every lesson??

This post has been edited by Rockwouldbe: Feb 2 2007, 04:41 AM

--------------------
My gear:
Guitar it is a passion

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Feb 2 2007, 09:35 AM
Hey I'm trying to watch the videos and when i click one it opens up a new window and the quicktime symbol is on the page with a big question mark over it and it doesn't play. I'm guessing i need to update quicktime or something but i'm not sure how to any help would be much appreciated. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
raqroso
Feb 2 2007, 09:38 AM
Kris obviously has high standards for the site he has worked hard to build ...

To me, this poster is capable of making lessons that would benefit intermediate players...
whether the lessons pass the high standards of the site is the question.

First thing I noticed:
There are licks/phrases I want to play and I would benefit from going thru this lesson.
I especially like when people say " This lick is common in this style" or "you see this a lot in country playing" - very helpful.

Second thing I noticed:
He did a good job laying out the lesson in GMC style so it is easy to follow and you can see everything.

Third thing I noticed
I noticed the thumb placement because it is exactly how I hold the guitar until starting to work on my speed and I changed it. (it was hard but I play more relaxed now) It was interesting to hear Pavel comment on this as I discovered myself that I needed to change it after watching the instructors here.

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Feb 2 2007, 03:54 PM
Rock Instructor
i think you should tery it with media player . the files are wmv.

eyal

--------------------
My gear:
Guitar it is a passion

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 2 2007, 04:48 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Fender23strat @ Feb 2 2007, 09:35 AM) *
Hey I'm trying to watch the videos and when i click one it opens up a new window and the quicktime symbol is on the page with a big question mark over it and it doesn't play. I'm guessing i need to update quicktime or something but i'm not sure how to any help would be much appreciated. biggrin.gif

Right click on the video to save on the computer. Once saved on the computer open the video with windows media player.
---------------------------------
So I think Ragroso touched upon it.

Eyal, your lessons are promissing - but you are not yet up to "masterclass" standard. Since this solo does not contain any fancy "master" technique (no need for that!) I would have wanted to see some fancy tone/vibrato/bending and excellent timing. But you don't have that [yet].

Also your picking is not yet fully coordinated with your left hand - which has a heavy effect on your tone.

Put some serious practicing in it, and keep posting lessons here and we can tell if you are going in the right direction! smile.gif

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 2 2007, 05:18 PM
QUOTE (Rockwouldbe @ Feb 1 2007, 08:03 PM) *
p.s i use the Pod xtl also do you want me to post the models i use in every lesson??

That would be absolutely awesome - I always wish that people that use the POD would post either settings or even better, the patch. biggrin.gif

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 2 2007, 09:10 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 2 2007, 04:48 PM) *
Eyal, your lessons are promissing - but you are not yet up to "masterclass" standard. Since this solo does not contain any fancy "master" technique (no need for that!) I would have wanted to see some fancy tone/vibrato/bending and excellent timing. But you don't have that [yet].

Also your picking is not yet fully coordinated with your left hand - which has a heavy effect on your tone.

Put some serious practicing in it, and keep posting lessons here and we can tell if you are going in the right direction! smile.gif

Kris

So this was pretty much what I was gonna post, but I took some extra time watching the videos instead. My judgement is that while your playing is good, it's just not quite there yet. Like you I don't think solos have to be lightningfast with some insane sweeps combined with a burning pick played falling down a cliff while trying to get your parachute out and still say "Now I pick down.."; simple is fine!

But for a masterclass solo lesson to be played without some crazy technique it need excellent phrasing with a tone and vibrato that is outstanding. But, don't get me wrong I liked your solo but the phrasing wasn't interesting enough to push it from "good solo" to "masterclass solo". However it did contain some interesting licks but they weren't used to their full potential.

As mentioned before your thumb looks a bit awkward but so does mine and because I'm not a speeddemon it works out good enough for me, and probably you since you have it that way as well. As long as you're comfortable with it I don't see it as an issue though.

Sound quality and video quality was really really good. Havin' dark fret markers looks cool to me and I didn't find it particulary hard to see which fret it was since the quality was outstanding.

So, to make sure I get my points across here is the sum up; your playing is good, solo lacked masterclass technique (see Kris post, like vibrato n stuff), phrasing was good but not interesting enough, video/sound was flawless, you can absolutely make it as a tutor here if you brush up your skills a bit.

Also I want to give you some extra credit for being the first lesson posted (which means you have the most pressure of any lesson that will ever be posted) so that's a big plus in my book!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 2 2007, 04:40 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Feb 2 2007, 09:10 PM) *
Also I want to give you some extra credit for being the first lesson posted (which means you have the most pressure of any lesson that will ever be posted) so that's a big plus in my book!

I agree with this! Well done Eyal. smile.gif

Now just because you aren't ready for masterclass teaching yet - that doesn't mean loads of people won't will be able to learn from you.

And that's why this lesson is great - hopefully lots of people will check this out and learn from it! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Feb 2 2007, 08:05 PM
I liked the lesson. I just started playing electric guitar a few months ago so some of the videos here are way beyond my skill level (for now!)

For someone like me, this lesson was great. The bending licks were very helpful.

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Feb 2 2007, 10:20 PM
Yes i finally got the video to work thanks to Kris's help. So I do agree with all of the above posters except I have one new thing. I noticed that towards the end of it, when you were switching to the next lick a few times it felt like it wasn't smooth enough. I'm not sure if i'm saying this right but if it's going to be a masterclass lesson then it should be more smooth, i'm not saying it has to be flawless but just a little smoother transition.

But overall it was a pretty good put together lessson! and when you try out another solo try to use some interesting licks that really make you stand out. Not something amazingly hard or anything but something to where we really hear your voice coming from the guitar.

+Quote Post
Why
Feb 3 2007, 05:40 AM
The lesson would be good for beginners, however here are some problems:

-Thumb placement, Quite high, try to keep it in the middle of the fretboard (Classical position)

-Bending pitch, Try to take it to the higher note and keep it there.

-Right hand - Left hand co-ordination, this is causing a major effect on your sound I must say. If you change this it will impact your playing alot, in a positive way.

-Phrasing - Okay, the solo is alright, but with some good phrasing it could be so much better. Try working on this abit.

Other than that, it's a pretty good lesson! Keep going! You'll go far!

This post has been edited by Why: Feb 3 2007, 09:55 AM

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Feb 3 2007, 03:58 PM
Rock Instructor
thank all you guys.

it is very helpful all the comments. it is very hard to do something like this. it takes more time then it looks like. now i am taking more time to recored , and i work really hard for you to be satisfied for the next lesson.

thank you again for invsted your time in my lesson.

Eyal

--------------------
My gear:
Guitar it is a passion

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:33 PM