5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Huge Dilemma, SWAP OR NOT
Mertay
Apr 24 2017, 10:00 AM
GMC:er
Generally, a marshall 1960A or 1960b cab. ir the most flexable when using drive and not wanting a bright sound.

Unlike a few years ago, there are gazzilions of payware or free impules out there. Once you get to know the unit, we'l find a nice freeware one to test loading it into the helix then depending on the cab.s you like which are avalible you'll buy payware ones if needed.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 24 2017, 12:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Mertay,

I'm have some that I bought for the AA, and a free Cenzo Townsend one from Celestion. I actually thought about buying the whole Vintage30 pack from Celestion. It's a shame you can't buy a "pick 'n' mix" pack from them.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 24 2017, 01:08 PM
I have a friend who used redwirez for a very long time then switched to celestion, if you find a company that you like then %99 of the impulse part of work is complete smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 24 2017, 09:10 PM
Well it came and it is a beast. I was surprised how big the box is blink.gif See the pic below.

It isn't as snazzy looking as the original but I don't mind as I don't need the extra I/Os of the original and it is also not over that "mental hurdle" of being over £1000 smile.gif

Anyway, it is a big box of tools and will take a while to grow into. I've had a play, not got a sound out of it as quick as the AA, it's much more in depth, I'm going to take it easy for a while but I do think I'll be able to get rid of my GT100 very soon.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 25 2017, 11:36 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 24 2017, 09:18 PM
Whoa! don't let it eat the guitar! biggrin.gif

Yeah no rush, I'm sure until you'll find time to learn it there will be a half-decent preset for you to enjoy playing and work on the gmc lessons. Congrats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2017, 10:53 AM
Super congrats! Start with the freebie packs and then move up from there smile.gif I'm sure you will find something you like!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 25 2017, 07:10 PM
Mine came preinstalled with this

http://line6.com/support/topic/25218-helix...update-out-now/

And a nice little gift in the box too. It took me ages to get this into Photobucket, it kept telling me the file was incompatible, then I realised I was trying to put a jpg into Soundcloud laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 25 2017, 07:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 26 2017, 08:12 PM
Well a couple of days in and I'm still getting to grips with the basics. I'm not letting it take too much practise time though.

Straight out of the box, the raw guitar tones aren't as "good" as the AA (see HERE) but I'm 100% I'll be able to dial some in. The effects on the AA were hard to get to grips with, the Helix is more pedal based, as I'm used to with the GT-100, the delay block on the AA had about 35 knobs to mess with.

At the moment I'm getting a bit of option paralysis too laugh.gif The Helix is a humungous box of tools.

I still think I've made the right choice long term but for out of the box tones the AA beats it cool.gif

Back to my pressing and guessing and turning and learning biggrin.gif

Here's a Vai tone from the free patch exchange.

See what you think compared to the AA

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ftlog-helix

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 26 2017, 08:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 26 2017, 10:23 PM
On comparison I liked the AA a bit more but as to why; Although I see myself a bit focused to the tech side of thing, I'm always for a more raw/organic tone.

A thing I notice is users usually use too much reverb/delay on processors, even official sound examples. The moment I hear some extra ambience going on, I immediatly feel 80's era rack processors domination. Funny thing is in reality all the development is focused on more organic tone smile.gif

Anyway that general comment aside, I remember you quickly got extremely good tones from the peavey, my only advice is keeping that state of mind during the learning period of the helix. Just a few months ago a friend got a gt-1 and while he was testing the fx even I started to feel confused biggrin.gif later I stepped in to first get an amp tone for specific purpose (say a bluesy tone for a backing track) then we tried to build that tone up with what the processor could do for us. This really helped us to understand the unit faster (function-wise) and the capability of tonal varietion.

But the gt-1 is so simple compared to a Helix, I'd say trying to learn it systematically is best for you. I never spent time with such a powerful processor, if I did I'd take things slowly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 27 2017, 01:54 AM
You'll get it smile.gif The software editor will come in very handy. It will just take a while. I'd suggest starting with very very simple patches at first. Try just get a head/cab/mic combo that you like. The rest is just icing on the cake. But before getting in to all the crazy effects, if you can make a decent sounding basic rig, you will have crossed a bit milestone smile.gif Keep it simple! Then branch out later smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 27 2017, 08:01 AM
The AA one was done by the factory, the Helix was done by a user so maybe therein lies the difference wink.gif I will keep that as a template though.

I know the Helix will do everything I need, the AA was great for guitar tones and the presets were pretty good but manipulating the effects was much more involved because there was just one delay block for instance, everything was in there to get what you need but it required knowledge, a lot of knowledge on how the delay works. Also I wanted some weird effects for the creativity workshops and I can't be doing with lots of pedals and cables.

I know it's for me, I just didn't expect to be so overwhelmed with the options smile.gif

I had an ir of a 5150 2x12 cab blended with a Marshall cab but it won't fit in the Helix, it says out of memory. It's over 2000kb but the AA took it without an issue.

I can see me ending up with the Helix and an AA in the loop, or the other way around laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2017, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Hey Phil! Congrats on the new device! It looks so good and inspiring!! smile.gif

How do you feel the tones? Are there new samples to check?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 27 2017, 02:33 PM
Working on a Jack White one for the lesson, tried to mimic the settings from your Pod HD500 but it wasn't close. I'll post it here tonight, I'm not far off but I don't know how to get it closer. The big thing is the ability to recognise effects within the tone.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 27 2017, 06:58 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 27 2017, 07:01 AM) *
I had an ir of a 5150 2x12 cab blended with a Marshall cab but it won't fit in the Helix, it says out of memory. It's over 2000kb but the AA took it without an issue.

Check page 28 on helix manual, writes the app. can configure the ir for helix?

Aside bit depth and sample rate, cab. ir's can also contain some of the room sound during the sampling process if length is long enough. So although the helix app. maybe downsizing it, its not losing the responce but some reverb.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 27 2017, 08:15 PM
Thanks for looking Mertay smile.gif It won't accept it though. It just says "Out of memory error" .

UPDATE: I just went back to the site to ask them about it and spotted a Helix version smile.gif The site is HERE

I've just found a factory preset called 4d Love Of Steve which I assume is what that user had used to create his 4D Love Of God patch.

Here it is. Excuse the playing, cold hands unsure.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/factory-4d-love-of-god

Here is a Jack White patch that I'm trying to match to THIS lesson.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-gab

Any tips would be great. Thanks

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 27 2017, 08:39 PM
By memory it doesn't mean the ir space is full on its drive?

Cool, subtle finder moves can passing through is a good sign smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 27 2017, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 27 2017, 08:39 PM) *
By memory it doesn't mean the ir space is full on its drive?

I'll get back to you on this wink.gif I think there must be a certain size allocation for each ir

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 27 2017, 08:39 PM) *
Cool, subtle finder moves can passing through is a good sign smile.gif

Sorry mate, I really don't understand what you mean unsure.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 27 2017, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't either biggrin.gif I mean subtle finger moves were very noticable, with such drive on processors (even pedals) usually its doesn't get noticable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 27 2017, 09:54 PM
At the moment I'm kind of missing the AA but I'm also glad I didn't keep it because I know this thing will be incredible. Apparently Richie Castellano used only a Helix for the last BOC album wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 28 2017, 03:33 AM
It's a killer unit smile.gif Just going to take some time to go through all the parameters and find the right IRs that you like. So be patient with yourself and your gear, I know it's not always easy smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 27 2017, 04:54 PM) *
At the moment I'm kind of missing the AA but I'm also glad I didn't keep it because I know this thing will be incredible. Apparently Richie Castellano used only a Helix for the last BOC album wink.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:32 PM