Band Decisions & Mistakes
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2014, 08:34 AM
Instructor
Did you ever make any mistakes in life you regret? What happened and would you do now if you'd get a second chance?

I for one, would like to have been able to take decisions sooner in some situations, because all I did was stall, even though I knew the outcome. My sometimes silly self, kept thinking that time would solve some things, but it actually made them worse smile.gif

One example was quitting my first band - difficult decision because I put ALL I had in there and when I knew it wasn't going nowhere, because not everyone in the band wanted to go in the same direction, I stayed because I was scared to take action and make a change for myself. Of course, age and lack of experience in life had something to do with it, but hey, that's my story smile.gif

How about you? Would you change anything?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 9 2014, 09:39 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I regret not pursuing the guitar with as much passion as I do now. I never took it too seriously. smash out a few powerchords with a few friends but that was about it.

Over the last 2yrs I've progressed a great deal and I always wonder what I would be able to do nowdays if I approched it the same way I do now.

Least now days I have the income to get the instruments I want so its not all in vain

Also joining projects that wouldn't push me musiclly or avoid some because I feel I might be incapable.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 9 2014, 01:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
aw man, where do I start ohmy.gif

I would definatley not have left my old band and I would have worked on my playing at the level I do now instead of letting the other guitarist ( who is way better than me ) carry me.
I'd love to have another go at the band thing smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jun 9 2014, 02:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm sort of in the same boat as you guys.

- I regret not devoting myself to truly getting better over the years as I have started to over the last couple since I joined this site.

- I also regret stopping my live playing (10+ years ago). I was in a couple different bands when I was younger and had a blast playing with all of those guys but as I got older, the band thing faded away but me and one other guy, who also played very well and did all of the singing did a little 2 man acoustic thing for 2-3 years at smaller college venues around town. It was very stress free with just two acoustic guitars, a couple mics and a small PA system so setup and breakdown literally took minutes.

I got married over this period so my after-show habits changed pretty abruptly but my partner was still full steam ahead. We would get done around 2:00 am and I just wanted to load up and get out of there while he wanted to hang out for a while and have a couple drinks with the various patrons that were still around. This caused a bit of a riff between us and I decided to just call it quits.

That's honestly probably my biggest mistake/regret looking back. It was an easy 2-3 hours of playing covers, I made an easy couple hundred dollars a night and of all the bands and groups of people I had played with I had easily the most fun doing the 2 man thing with him. I really miss doing that and I would start back up in a heartbeat if the chance presented itself again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2014, 02:23 PM
Instructor
yes, there are many situations that could be ended sooner, I can apply it to bands, to co workers and also to relationships. However, time taught me that finally things happened when I was ready for them. Fortunately, there is a moment when my mind does a "click" and I understand that something is over and act to change it. After that, there was always something better waiting for me, and that's what makes me think that it was the right moment...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 11 2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 9 2014, 08:39 AM) *
I regret not pursuing the guitar with as much passion as I do now. I never took it too seriously. smash out a few powerchords with a few friends but that was about it.

Over the last 2yrs I've progressed a great deal and I always wonder what I would be able to do nowdays if I approched it the same way I do now.

Least now days I have the income to get the instruments I want so its not all in vain

Also joining projects that wouldn't push me musiclly or avoid some because I feel I might be incapable.

The more you push yourself, the more you will progress wink.gif Just don't be scared to get out there and play! Here's an inspiring thread that can surely give you something to think about: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry688759

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2014, 01:23 PM) *
yes, there are many situations that could be ended sooner, I can apply it to bands, to co workers and also to relationships. However, time taught me that finally things happened when I was ready for them. Fortunately, there is a moment when my mind does a "click" and I understand that something is over and act to change it. After that, there was always something better waiting for me, and that's what makes me think that it was the right moment...

But we are so scared of the unknown and about not having something or someone we were attached and used to, right? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 11 2014, 09:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
For me I'm working on recreating my playing style. I use to be all powerchords and then spiced that up with some strange diad intervals. Throw in a lil lick here and there and then a song was pretty much done.

I've been loving pushing new ideas of late. The biggest problem I have now Is I have a 2hr practice session each night but I only get 2/3rd of it done cos I get so wrapped up on the technique I'm practicing I spend the whole 2hrs doing that then spend a hr finishing off the last few lessons. I guess maybe I get very focused on one aspect. Like at the moment I'm totally into making the most kick ass vibrato and bends. My god I don't remember my fingers being so sore.

Hell I even played for like 10hrs last sat (on and off) I just cannot put the instrument down of late

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2014, 02:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 11 2014, 05:32 AM) *
For me I'm working on recreating my playing style. I use to be all powerchords and then spiced that up with some strange diad intervals. Throw in a lil lick here and there and then a song was pretty much done.

I've been loving pushing new ideas of late. The biggest problem I have now Is I have a 2hr practice session each night but I only get 2/3rd of it done cos I get so wrapped up on the technique I'm practicing I spend the whole 2hrs doing that then spend a hr finishing off the last few lessons. I guess maybe I get very focused on one aspect. Like at the moment I'm totally into making the most kick ass vibrato and bends. My god I don't remember my fingers being so sore.

Hell I even played for like 10hrs last sat (on and off) I just cannot put the instrument down of late

This sounds very good man. Do you have some specific weekly and monthly goals?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:02 AM