Fast Alternate Picking Rhythm Guitar
dcz702
Apr 17 2013, 02:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm working on metal rhythm right hand workout lesson. Not quite fast enough yet but I'm practicing. Are there anymore similar lessons I can practice along with this one? Alternate picking isn't the problem it's the speed.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Darius Wave
Apr 17 2013, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Maybe try to dig my heavy funkin' soloing lessons? Speed is always a problem because of how You organize You strength while playing. Whole trick ito be very well warmed up and ready to make even faster things than needed in the excersise. Than You can concentrate on relaxing Your hand but...as far as You don't play on a killer gain distortion You will alwyas need some strength.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Heavy-Funkin-Soloing/

I can also advice You to type speed metal, metal picking or metal rhythm in the GMC search box. You can selcet the level of lesson from 7 to 10.

There is a little topic about that with some general advices

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=32936

If You like You can catch me on the video chat next Tuesday. Sometimes it takes less time to explore any issues

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Apr 17 2013, 04:41 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 17 2013, 04:55 PM
Instructor
Hi mate. That's a killer power metal rhythm lesson, which is not easy. Marcus rhythm's abilities are insane! You should explore Lian Gerbino's lesson where you will find many rhythm metal lessons and also these ones:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Iced-Earth-Style/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Heavy-Metal-Shuffle/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Finnis...l-Stratovarius/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/German...Blind-Guardian/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 18 2013, 01:47 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 17 2013, 03:55 PM) *
Hi mate. That's a killer power metal rhythm lesson, which is not easy. Marcus rhythm's abilities are insane! You should explore Lian Gerbino's lesson where you will find many rhythm metal lessons and also these ones:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Iced-Earth-Style/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Heavy-Metal-Shuffle/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/German...Blind-Guardian/

thanks gab and darius smile.gif im all over the finnish power metal lesson, gonna use that and the metal rhythym for my practice sessions this week.

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 18 2013, 01:47 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2013, 06:55 AM
GMC:er
Whenever you have a question about your playing in particular, always, always, try to record a quick video of you playing the bit in question. I know it can be a pain, and some folks have not yet bought a web cam even. If you don't have a web cam, go grab one quick, they are cheap. OR use your phone cam to record, or really do whatever you have to do to record some vid of you playing. I can't tell you how much better your feeedback will be once people can actually see and hear what's going on.

It's really hard to give proper advice otherwise since so many things are a bit generic and mean slightly something else to each person. "Fast" is a bit of a blanket statement, but shoot us a vid and I"m sure we can help you break through the barrier.

Todd
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 17 2013, 09:20 AM) *
I'm working on metal rhythm right hand workout lesson. Not quite fast enough yet but I'm practicing. Are there anymore similar lessons I can practice along with this one? Alternate picking isn't the problem it's the speed.

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 18 2013, 08:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 18 2013, 05:55 AM) *
Whenever you have a question about your playing in particular, always, always, try to record a quick video of you playing the bit in question. I know it can be a pain, and some folks have not yet bought a web cam even. If you don't have a web cam, go grab one quick, they are cheap. OR use your phone cam to record, or really do whatever you have to do to record some vid of you playing. I can't tell you how much better your feeedback will be once people can actually see and hear what's going on.

It's really hard to give proper advice otherwise since so many things are a bit generic and mean slightly something else to each person. "Fast" is a bit of a blanket statement, but shoot us a vid and I"m sure we can help you break through the barrier.

Todd

Thanks Todd I was looking for a lesson similar to right hand workout but not as quick to get the fast picking down. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2013, 09:31 AM
Instructor
I agree with Todd here and I think you have received a lot of lesson suggestions out of which you will learn a big, big lot.

Here's what I suggest smile.gif Take a bit of time and record the most troublesome parts in the lessons involving fast AP rhythmic forms and post them here. I guarantee the feedback will bust your inbox smile.gif Do we have a deal?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 18 2013, 09:42 AM
Instructor
Yep...guys are completely right. Best way to help is to have a possibility to analyze Your playing. Like Todd said - these days web cams are pretty cheap and even with HD quality. They can handle low light level pretty well and caputre the video directly on Your computer so it's the easiest and the most efficient way to show us how Your hands work. smile.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 18 2013, 10:50 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 18 2013, 08:31 AM) *
I agree with Todd here and I think you have received a lot of lesson suggestions out of which you will learn a big, big lot.

Here's what I suggest smile.gif Take a bit of time and record the most troublesome parts in the lessons involving fast AP rhythmic forms and post them here. I guarantee the feedback will bust your inbox smile.gif Do we have a deal?

Cosmin

Will do. I will record my practice daily on the lessons, right before I put down my guitar for the day. And regarding the Hendrix saycee lesson. I agree on the vibrato. I'm going to post another take tomorrow I really want to master vibrato. I really like the expression in each note when it's done correctly. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 18 2013, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2013, 12:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 18 2013, 09:50 AM) *
Will do. I will record my practice daily on the lessons, right before I put down my guitar for the day. And regarding the Hendrix saycee lesson. I agree on the vibrato. I'm going to post another take tomorrow I really want to master vibrato. I really like the expression in each note when it's done correctly. biggrin.gif

Exactly man! It has to be violent smile.gif I'll make a vid for ya to show you what I mean by that laugh.gif There yo go:

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 18 2013, 01:07 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 18 2013, 01:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 18 2013, 10:50 AM) *

it might sound funny, but vibrato is a whole body/passion thing that is why so many have facial expressions and get there whole body into the attitude( give it a try )

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2013, 01:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 18 2013, 12:42 PM) *
it might sound funny, but vibrato is a whole body/passion thing that is why so many have facial expressions and get there whole body into the attitude( give it a try )

Exactly! biggrin.gif That's why I love it!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 19 2013, 03:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 18 2013, 11:03 AM) *
Exactly man! It has to be violent smile.gif I'll make a vid for ya to show you what I mean by that laugh.gif There yo go:

Makes perfect sence. I think that when I learn a piece of music I play causuously to not unintentionally hit or sound off wrong strings. As I have practiced and the piece has gotten easy to play I have been able to play with a lot stronger pick attack, I was just playing with your tips in the video in mind and with stronger pick attacks the vibrato sounds so much better. I need to learn to be more aggressive At times. Thanks for the vid

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 19 2013, 07:58 AM
Instructor
Happy to have been able to help out man! smile.gif Let's see the new take in the REC zone with improved vibrato and aggressive playing!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 20 2013, 12:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 18 2013, 08:31 AM) *

Cosmin

so i tried to record a quik clip from the a lesson im on didnt want to go through the whole editing in imovie so i just used adio on web cam but the sound is out of synk. its fine when i view on my desktop but the upload to you tube did something wierd. if its not sufficient in giving me feedback i will find out on how to sync using web cam, the proccess i use in the rec is to many steps to do quik clips. think its time for quiktime pro, and this is my first day on the lesson, memorized the part wich was not hard cause it just repeats, this is about a hour into the start of learning it

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 20 2013, 12:35 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 20 2013, 10:25 AM
Instructor
You're doing pretty fine and according to this vid quality there is nothing that seems to work badly. Not synchronizaed audio is a little trouble but i see the down/up picking assignment is ok. There are a few different schools of how to angle Your wrist and pick. When I play riffs I angle my hand in exact opposite to Yours. It's more comfortable for me - I feel more control while fast picking on the low strings. I'll make a short vid of it but for now try to analyze this :

There is a deadline beyond which speed is no longer a matter of doing something wrong but just a simple matter of how intense is Your warm up and time spend on seed picking.

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Apr 20 2013, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 20 2013, 10:40 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 20 2013, 09:25 AM) *
You're doing pretty fine and according to this vid quality there is nothing that seems to work badly. Not synchronizaed audio is a little trouble but i see the down/up picking assignment is ok. There are a few different schools of how to angle Your wrist and pick. When I play riffs I angle my hand in exact opposite to Yours. It's more comfortable for me - I feel more control while fast picking on the low strings. I'll make a short vid of it but for now try to analyze this :

There is a deadline beyond which speed is no longer a matter of doing something wrong but just a simple matter of how intense is Your warm up and time spend on seed picking.

ohmy.gif dang that's fast! Thanks for that. The movement in the thumb is something I see with a lot of players. I'm going to practice this using chromatic scales.
I just put up the guitar for the night and the lesson I'm practicing has gotten easier. I'm having a problem playing the quik riff that ends on the open E POWER chord.i can play the notes on that riff to tempo just having a problem putting it together with the main riff the second time it's played when it goes into the main riff. Just matter of more practice. Thanks Darius. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 20 2013, 10:55 AM
Instructor
You're wellcome smile.gif Yeah...speed picking is a sport-like part of playing. Even if You know how everything works...it still takes just a few days without guitar to have problems with things You could play at faster tempos smile.gif Thumb movement is sometimes not quite visible but You're right - many players use it...including Mr. Govan. It's just a way to shorten the distance and whole wrist movement. But The way You hold the pick and the angle of Your hand (Your thumb is closer to the low strings in oposite to my pal which sits on the pinky finger side on the bridge) but...they way You do it is similar to what Muric Varajic do...and he's very efficient in his picking speed smile.gif So I think it's now a matter of trying a few methods, chosing thye best for You and just a solid practice smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 20 2013, 11:00 AM
Instructor
I think Darius' vid says it all smile.gif Watch and start practicing!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 22 2013, 06:15 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 19 2013, 11:29 PM) *
so i tried to record a quik clip from the a lesson im on didnt want to go through the whole editing in imovie so i just used adio on web cam but the sound is out of synk. its fine when i view on my desktop but the upload to you tube did something wierd. if its not sufficient in giving me feedback i will find out on how to sync using web cam, the proccess i use in the rec is to many steps to do quik clips. think its time for quiktime pro, and this is my first day on the lesson, memorized the part wich was not hard cause it just repeats, this is about a hour into the start of learning it

from gabes finnish power metal lesson
hey guys im working on my steady pick with speed while maintaing the rythym.
the volume of the guitar is a bit loud over backing just for the purpose of seeing and hearing whats going on, hope ok for feedback from everyone. been practicing the thumb picking movement me and darius were talking about. but did not do it for this as it doesnt seem to fit for me while hitting the power cords in between the 16th notes.
im most having diffuculty playing the second riff, the notes B, C,B,A D# F#E,D#,C,E,C,B Then goes into E5. i looks like gabe picks this whole thing while i try to play it legato.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 19 2013, 11:29 PM) *

from gabes finnish power metal lesson
hey guys im working on my steady pick with speed while maintaing the rythym.
the volume of the guitar is a bit loud over backing just for the purpose of seeing and hearing whats going on, hope ok for feedback from everyone. been practicing the thumb picking movement me and darius were talking about. but did not do it for this as it doesnt seem to fit for me while hitting the power cords in between the 16th notes.
im most having diffuculty playing the second riff, the notes B, C,B,A D# F#E,D#,C,E,C,B Then goes into E5. i looks like gabe picks this whole thing while i try to play it legato.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:56 AM