2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Which Soundcard?, new soundcard
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 22 2007, 04:36 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 22 2007, 11:18 AM) *
Other bit - if you dl/line out a guitar amp into a pc, desk etc you are pretty much bypassing the guitar amp's speaker and cabinet. Part of the tone we get used to hearing involves not just the amp head but the speaker and cab and how they all interact. This is one reason why Native Instrument's Guitar Rig and IK's AMplitube (NI is recommended by someone somewhere) includes speaker cab emulation as part of their software suite. It's also a reason why guitar amps still are often recorded full tilt via a microphone in to a desk...

Yes! For me the amp/speaker is part of the instrument, you wouldn't record a trumpet with the end sawn off, this is a similar pricnciple. Reason I know is that I struggled with trying to make DI sounds work for years before I moved over to modelling - biiig difference. I'm now contemplating a move to real amps to get an even better sound.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 22 2007, 04:56 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Shouldn't be Hemlok main precaution (as with any time you take a pc apart) makes sure you ground yourself so you don't knacker the card or pc by discharging static electricity through it.

Depending on power consumption of the card and your present one you might (albeit I doubt it) need to think about upgrading your power supply. Don't think this will be an issue though.

Platinum version comes with a breakout box that includes Hi-Z input so you can plug a guitar in direct.

Side issue though not a concern- notice it uses an internal molex line - that for power? if so what is it sharing the line with, presumably the hard disc? Power up sequence might need a pause setting if it does and it pulls a lot of juice.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Jul 22 2007, 09:34 PM
GMC:er
Well to bring this into a new sort of light.......Most new pcs these day have a digital line in on the back of your sound card interface........One cable as long as you have gear that has a digital line out most gear you buy now have this option.........The monitors are a plus to have and is a must if you plan on recording to make a cd for your band........If you are only looking to just blast thru some ideas you have ..I would just stick with a audio budy usb port............or a line6 model.....you will get all you need and then some for about 200.00.............just plug in and go hope this helped

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:02 PM