Whammy Pedal Solo Ideas
Jonas Tamas
Feb 1 2013, 06:55 PM
GMC:er
Can you recommend me some lessons utilizing the whammy pedal? I'd be glad to use this kind of effect more often.

I've already composed a song called "Escape From The Soulful Eyes" where the bridge part has a whammy pedal solo.

In the bridge section, I have come up an unusual theme, based on a 11/8 time signature. This theme is in the key of F sharp minor. I have used a whammy pedal, which is set to an octave rise. So each time when I play a note and step on the pedal, it gradually rises to an octave above the original note. In the TAB I have marked the ‘whammy notes’ with a parenthesis.

Another interesting phenomenon is that this section consists of 9 bars, so it is odd on every levels: the number of beats in all bars is 11, and the number of bars is 9. The most tricky part of this solo is in the last bar, where you have to include an open string note, and a pull-off, where you have to depress the whammy pedal while making the pull-off simultaneously.

Each time when you see a note (or a bunch of notes) in parentheses, then after the last such note you must quickly step off from the whammy pedal, so that the next 'normal’ note can sound at its original pitch. By using this pitch-shifting method, a really unique and soaring sound can be achieved, even when you use only a few notes from a scale.

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/escape-whammy-pedal-solo

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

If someone would like to play this solo, I have attached the backing track

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Escape_whammy_pedal_solo___backing_track.mp3 ( 457.55K ) Number of downloads: 79

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 1 2013, 07:33 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 1 2013, 12:55 PM) *
Can you recommend me some lessons utilizing the whammy pedal? I'd be glad to use this kind of effect more often.

I've already composed a song called "Escape From The Soulful Eyes" where the bridge part has a whammy pedal solo.

In the bridge section, I have come up an unusual theme, based on a 11/8 time signature. This theme is in the key of F sharp minor. I have used a whammy pedal, which is set to an octave rise. So each time when I play a note and step on the pedal, it gradually rises to an octave above the original note. In the TAB I have marked the ‘whammy notes’ with a parenthesis.

Another interesting phenomenon is that this section consists of 9 bars, so it is odd on every levels: the number of beats in all bars is 11, and the number of bars is 9. The most tricky part of this solo is in the last bar, where you have to include an open string note, and a pull-off, where you have to depress the whammy pedal while making the pull-off simultaneously.

Each time when you see a note (or a bunch of notes) in parentheses, then after the last such note you must quickly step off from the whammy pedal, so that the next 'normal’ note can sound at its original pitch. By using this pitch-shifting method, a really unique and soaring sound can be achieved, even when you use only a few notes from a scale.

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/escape-whammy-pedal-solo

If someone would like to play this solo, I have attached the backing track

That was a very cool track Jonas. I like to play around with the Whammy pedal as well.... though my take here isn't as pretty... lol Check it out..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46679

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 3 2013, 02:03 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 1 2013, 06:33 PM) *
That was a very cool track Jonas. I like to play around with the Whammy pedal as well.... though my take here isn't as pretty... lol Check it out..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46679

Thanks, I'm glad you dig it! I've checked out your recording, using your patented "Drunken Master" technique, as you call it:) You have the groove and feel built in your playing, good stuff, keep it up!

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 4 2013, 05:06 AM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 3 2013, 08:03 AM) *
Thanks, I'm glad you dig it! I've checked out your recording, using your patented "Drunken Master" technique, as you call it:) You have the groove and feel built in your playing, good stuff, keep it up!

HA, yea the drunken master seemed to fit as it sounded like a drunk guy was playing it. LOL!! I had too many kids in the house when I did that to be drunk.... or drinking at all for that matter. wink.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 5 2013, 02:28 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 4 2013, 04:06 AM) *
HA, yea the drunken master seemed to fit as it sounded like a drunk guy was playing it. LOL!! I had too many kids in the house when I did that to be drunk.... or drinking at all for that matter. wink.gif

That's right! biggrin.gif

Btw, do you have other video and/or audio recordings or did you take part in the REC section here at GMC?

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Feb 6 2013, 02:55 AM
This is a wicked use of the Whammy pedal that I really dig. Can easily be overdone but it's worth thinking about, if you can get it to work for you.

This post has been edited by ConnorGilks: Feb 6 2013, 02:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 6 2013, 04:44 AM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 5 2013, 08:28 AM) *
That's right! biggrin.gif

Btw, do you have other video and/or audio recordings or did you take part in the REC section here at GMC?

I have some things on sound cloud, nothing really written out, just some ideas that I've recorded and some of the files for the collabs are out there.

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 6 2013, 04:39 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 6 2013, 03:44 AM) *
I have some things on sound cloud, nothing really written out, just some ideas that I've recorded and some of the files for the collabs are out there.

I've visited your SoundCloud, and in your "British Metal Collab 110 bpm" you've created a well-rounded solo structure, because you've continuously increased the tempo of your patterns as well as the pitch of the solo. That way a real "storyline" has emerged, which is definitely a must in every good guitar solos. A few of the fast licks weren't as tight as they can be, but most of them were absolutely in time.

I'll write an answer to your PM right away, so see you there:)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:52 PM