2 Pages V   1 2 >  
24th Fret Sustain
Phil66
Apr 6 2019, 10:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

How do people like Mr Vai get sustain and vibrato on the 24th fret, I'm trying for the latest Metallica collab but the notes just die very quickly.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 7 2019, 02:26 AM
GMC:er
Practice!!!! smile.gif You walked right in to that one. smile.gif

Also, add a bit more gain, back the noise gate off a bit, if you are using a noise gate. Use your clean boost pedal in the helix (tube screamer) to push the amp head sim a bit harder. if the volume is maxed on the screamer, turn up the gain a pinch til it starts giving a bit more. Also, the more left hand wag you use, the longer the note will last.
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 6 2019, 05:38 PM) *
Hello folks,

How do people like Mr Vai get sustain and vibrato on the 24th fret, I'm trying for the latest Metallica collab but the notes just die very quickly.

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 7 2019, 10:09 AM
Thanks Todd,

I know practise laugh.gif but sometimes you need tech tips. It's like throwing darts, one can just buy a set and a board and practise for years not improving, a few tips on stance, hold and follow through from a master and immediately their average score doubles tongue.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 7 2019, 12:06 PM
If you're comfortable with pinch harmonics, try g string 21.th fret. The pinch harmonic spot should be where a middle singlecoil should be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 7 2019, 03:57 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I'm trying to hit a note on the high E 24th fret, then do a sliding pentatonic run back down to the 12th.the frets above the 21st are very tight. I'm wondering if I should put my finger on the 22rd fret store and roll onto the string towards the 24th? Not home at the moment so can't try.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Apr 7 2019, 07:26 PM
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustainer/...-sustainer.html

Here is his ”secret”.

I have a Fender Stratocaster O’brien which has the same sustainer device.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2019, 04:54 AM
Just for you Phil, here is a bit of Midnight Video to show some tips/tricks. Notice the waggy vibrato and how it creates it's own sustain. If I don't use wide/waggy vibrato the notes will die off much quicker. It's a very yngwie style vibrato. Also a pinch of gain and delay never hurts smile.gif I hope this helps!!

Using my hotone AMPERO on this one. Also shot in near total darkness on my little 4k action cam connected via usb recording directly to hard drive. Sure kills any web cam I've ever tried. Never seen low light performance like this on a logitech.

I just couldn't help myself smile.gif I totally get what you are saying. Unless you want to use an Ebow or something, the big trick is really to use the left hand for intensifying your vibrato. This will create it's own sustain if that makes any sense. I'll try to record you an example.
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 7 2019, 05:09 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I know practise laugh.gif but sometimes you need tech tips. It's like throwing darts, one can just buy a set and a board and practise for years not improving, a few tips on stance, hold and follow through from a master and immediately their average score doubles tongue.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 8 2019, 05:53 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 8 2019, 07:54 AM
Thanks Todd,

Thinking about it, I don't think it was sustain that I mean, it was finger placement to just get the note to ring out without instant decay.

Thanks for taking the time to do that video. I do find vibrato hard on the high E on any fret so that needs work.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 8 2019, 06:50 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Good calluses on the fingertips help fretting down there for sure.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 8 2019, 07:17 PM
Yeah I guess so, thank Rich wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2019, 02:08 AM
If you place in between the frets, and use wide vibrato it should sustain just like in the video. Hopefully! smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 8 2019, 02:54 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

Thinking about it, I don't think it was sustain that I mean, it was finger placement to just get the note to ring out without instant decay.

Thanks for taking the time to do that video. I do find vibrato hard on the high E on any fret so that needs work.

Cheers

Phil

Very true smile.gif Having calluses on your fingers really does help on the high frets. Without thee, your fingers can be a pinch soft and result in squishy notes instead of solid ones.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 8 2019, 02:17 PM) *
Yeah I guess so, thank Rich wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2019, 02:21 AM
Phil mentioned also that it's easy to put too much pressure on notes up high and make them go sharp. Well said!! if you "over pressure" the notes, they go sharp. If yo "underpressure" the notes, they die. So you gotta use your ear to make sure they are not going sharp, and use your ear to make sure they are not going dead. It's tricky to play the upper decks which is why no everyone spends time up that high, and why really good players (vai/yngwie) are more than happy to spend wads of time in that area to display their mastery of the instrument, as well as express themselves in a higher range.

Doing thumbless work up that high is difficult to say the least. Especially if one is having trouble fretting notes even with the thumb. It does prevent over pressure. Playing the upper decks takes work to be sure. It's worth doing though as it's part of the guitar that has the highest notes and without it, one is limited.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 10 2019, 10:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
have you tried getting the note to ring without picking and just using vibrato

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 11 2019, 06:04 AM
I was suggesting adding some vibrato to keep the string ringing as well smile.gif Also sometimes ones noise gate clamps too soon.
PHIL SHOOT A QUICK VID!! smile.gif Show us what is happening.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 10 2019, 05:47 PM) *
have you tried getting the note to ring without picking and just using vibrato

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 11 2019, 01:21 PM
Don't press on the string too hard Phil, your Fingertip may be getting squashed and choking the note!!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 11 2019, 04:35 PM
Learning Roadie
In my case it's probably a matter of practice but I noticed some overall improvement when I switched from pressing the string anywhere to pressing it right at the fret in question. (I'm speaking of sustain in general, not just the highest frets)

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 11 2019, 04:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 11 2019, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all the tips folks. I'll try to post a video but it is already improving smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2019, 10:23 AM
I'm sure we can give better feedback with even a short vid. I'm curious to see what's going on?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 11 2019, 12:39 PM) *
Thanks for all the tips folks. I'll try to post a video but it is already improving smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 13 2019, 09:20 PM
https://youtu.be/zOw4sJcA1Mo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 14 2019, 03:10 AM
Ahh.
At about 24 seconds in, it sounds to me like the note is "fretting out". E.G. the fret closer to the pickup is a pinch taller than the one closer to your finger. Thus the sustain is killed. It could be a lot of things, but from watching that vid, it sure looks like it's fretting out to me. The cure for that is typically to have a good setup from a good guitar tech. If it's already been setup, it may need to have the frets leveled. it should ring pretty good up there, as it does in my short demo. You've got plenty of gain, plenty of delay and the gate sounds ok too.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 13 2019, 04:20 PM) *

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:25 AM