Summer Project!, Customizing my seven string!
mhskeide
Jun 8 2011, 04:30 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi dudes and dudettes!
As mentioned in a previous post, I bought a really cheap seven string guitar 6 months ago, a Peavey Predator st7. I have recorded some songs with it, and played a couple of gigs with it, and I am actually starting to really like it! So since it still needs some upgrades, I have decided to pimp it up this summer!

This involves:
New tuners
Scalloping from 12. -21. fret
New pickup (bare knuckle \m/ )
Custom pickguard, which will be awesome!
Some new cool electronic features!
Minor paintjob detail

Hopefully, I can do everything myself! The only thing that might require help is the pickup-change. I have bought a soldering kit, but have never done it properly, so a bit unsure here tongue.gif

I will use this post in the weeks ahead to almost "blog" about it and share some pictures, since I think there are more gear-heads but me who finds that interesting smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mhskeide: Jun 8 2011, 04:31 PM

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
El Marto
Jun 8 2011, 07:06 PM
GMC:er
What a coincidence! Me and a friend of mine are about to do something similar.
We got the guitar of a friend who doesn't play anymore. A Washburn X10, something cheap.
Now, we will do a paint job, change the pickups (maybe Bare Knuckle tongue.gif) and change some other hardware.
I'm quite excited biggrin.gif I guess you are too.
Good luck with it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by El Marto: Jun 8 2011, 07:09 PM

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 8 2011, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Yeah, put some pictures - before and after!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 9 2011, 08:08 AM
Instructor
Good luck with the scalloping ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 9 2011, 10:48 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alright! It has begun!

I have covered up all the frets on the top of the neck, so as soon as I have rented gear, I`m ready to start scalloping on Saturday!

I have started the minor paintjob, and I am about halfway finished.

And..... I ordred a new Bare Knuckle Pickup today! A aftermath with a slightly burnt chrome cover! I am so excited now biggrin.gif

Gonna upload some pics within the weekend smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 10 2011, 01:32 AM
Learning Roadie
Awesome! I'll be glad to see the progress!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 10 2011, 11:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
Awesome, good luck!
I scalloped a guitar last summer as well. Just be careful not to go too deep! smile.gif

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 10 2011, 05:12 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Small change: I changed the burnt chrome cover to a battleworn one instead, like this: http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images0...4a8cde8c6/l.jpg biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 10 2011, 12:19 PM) *
Awesome, good luck!
I scalloped a guitar last summer as well. Just be careful not to go too deep! smile.gif

Thanks! I scalloped another neck two years ago, and with that neck I went faaaar to deep, so I think this next one will be better smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 10 2011, 10:12 PM
Instructor
hey man, that's a great project. Is there a way to get before-after pics? It will rock to have these on the topic smile.gif

Good luck with the upgrade! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 11 2011, 01:59 PM
GMC:er
Good luck with the project! If you need any help at all with any of it just ask, I'll be glad to help!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 14 2011, 01:34 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alright, I have made some progress!
I have masked the frets that will be scalloped between, and painted the headstock.

Before:
Attached Image

After:
Attached Image

I have also borrowed a dremel from a friend for the scalloping. Since I never have used one before, I though it was smart to start of at my old guitar which is already half scalloped. Last time, I did it without any machines, and spent nearly 10 hours on the 12.-22. fret before the neck was screwed on, re-stringed and playable.
With the dremel, I scalloped the 1.-11. fret, sanded it with 120-1200 sandpaper, applied some fretboard juice and re-stringed it within two hours!!
Once again, I went far to deep on the first 5 frets, but on the last 4-5, I feel that I got closer to the optimal depth smile.gif

Here is the result:

Attached Image

And when I plugged it in, something happened...dunno what is was, but suddenly I thought the guitar sounded awesome tongue.gif So now I don`t longer look for a strat to buy either, since I have an OK one, which looks like nothing else biggrin.gif

In addition, the mentioned BKP I ordered will be looking LIKE THIS instead of the burnt chrome. I have also ordered some chrome locking tuners from Planet waves! Now I only need to order the custom pickguard, and it`s only fitting stuff on that remains!

This post has been edited by mhskeide: Jun 14 2011, 01:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 27 2011, 02:57 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Almost done now! Here are pictures of the scalloped neck, and the re-painted headstock with new Planet Waves locking tuners smile.gif

The pickup is being installed as we speak!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:28 PM