> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Gregc’s Tasty Playing, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 29 2012, 09:17 PM
Instructor
That sounds great mate! This type of exercises are like going to the gim, maybe it's a bit boring but it's sooo effective so keep on working on it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 4 2012, 05:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Gabriel! What's going on brother?

Just wanted to post a progress update on the lesson for this week. I have a good handle on the structure and know every part although there is serious clean up work needed. The biggest issue I'm having is, this should really surprise you, the little fast legato transition in the verse sections. I just can not do it up to speed or even close right now but I know how to do it and I can do it much slower. From here I'm focusing on that section along with the endurance stuff as it is the same skill for both that I'm lacking.

There is also a good deal of tightening up that's needed throughout the whole thing but I'm really just starting to get confident with it so I know the more I do it the cleaner it will get. I'll have a video shot and posted by Wednesday as well as some updated warm up/endurance recordings.

Have a good one!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  vaiRhythmRaw.wav ( 33.37MB ) Number of downloads: 103

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 4 2012, 05:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Greg! Good job! You are right regarding your thoughts about your take. The faster legatos need some more work so I think that you could isolate those ideas and work them over metronome. The riffing could also sound tighter with the drums. By the way you are very close on this one... I'll be waiting for your Wednesday's take! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 8 2012, 05:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabriel! Sorry for my tardiness. If it's okay with you I'd like to just take a couple more days to finish this assignment. I have been working relentlessly on getting that legato section down and am getting closer. I had a lesson with Ben this week where I had the same problem, a fast legato run mixed in here and there that gave me a fit so I've been double teaming my issue this week.

I will have a video posted of the Steve Vai Rhythm by Sunday along with more warm up/endurance recordings. I may have those posted before Sunday but definitely no later.

Have a good one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2012, 06:04 PM
Instructor
That sounds good for me mate. Don't worry about times just keep on practising! Looking forward your video! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 12 2012, 05:45 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gab! Alright, I'm not quite ready yet to do a video of this because I still have not got the legato section down. It's still a struggle for me and the movements have not clicked yet with my fingers but I think I'm getting closer. I can definitely do it cleanly at slower speeds but it falls apart at full speed. Also, after listening back through the recording I can hear myself staying ahead of the beat quite a bit. When I'm real relaxed and just playing I feel like I can get it down pretty clean, time wise, all the way through (except legato) but I still get a little frantic or pressured when I'm recording. biggrin.gif

I'm going to have a lot of time over the next couple days to devote to this so I can wrap this up. I'm sorry this is taking me so long to finish, I have really struggled with that one small section. My goal is to have a REC quality video up within a couple days so we can move on. If you want to go ahead and hand me my next lesson I can get started on that while I'm finishing this one up.

For the endurance and warmup exercises I will admit I have note given nearly enough time to these as I've mainly been focusing on the Vai Rhythm lesson. I will start setting aside a few minutes everyday to work on these and post more frequent progress updates. The pinky-ring finger pull off is still a huge challenge but I'm starting to get more comfortable with the rest of the patterns. I'm sure these would help my issue I'm having with the lesson. I'm trying to figure out how to record cleanly over just a metronome beat and I'm sure there's probably an easy way but I'm just having to use these drum beats to record the exercises with for now although I do practice with just the Guitar Rig metronome.

Also wanted to say I popped in to your chat the other day and really enjoyed it. That was the first time I've checked it out but I plan to be more active with those. I'll check the schedule and try and sit in on a few of them. smile.gif

Talk to you soon!

This post has been edited by gregc1: Mar 12 2012, 05:54 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  vaiRhythm.mp3 ( 2.02MB ) Number of downloads: 92
Attached File  warmup.mp3 ( 563.67K ) Number of downloads: 84
Attached File  endurance1.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 77
Attached File  endurance2.mp3 ( 603.67K ) Number of downloads: 81

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2012, 05:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Greg! Thanks for this complete update! Everything sounds great for me! The Vai lesson is sounds better now so I think that you'll master it very soon. The warming up and endurance exercises also sound good, the last one has some little timing issues. Please continue working on them to gain more stamina and speed.

Don't worry about how much time it takes you to master the lessons or exercises that we work here.. the idea is always keep going so you are on the right track! Continue working on this ones and I will give you a new assignment as soon as you post the video for the REC. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 14 2012, 02:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabriel, just checking in with a progress report. I actually had somewhat of a breakthrough on the legato run last night. I finally "heard" it for the first time.

I think one of the biggest issues I've had with this section is I've had a terrible time hearing exactly how this run fits in with the beat while I'm trying to teach my fingers to do it. I hope this makes sense. I can hear how it fits fine when Jonathan plays it at full speed but when I slow it down I can't tell exactly how it fits in a 4 bar measure. When I'm trying to learn fast stuff like this I usually try to use "checkpoints" if that make sense. Kind of like "on the 2nd downbeat, I need to be here" and so on. It helps me get the feeling on how to do it. With this section it was either super fast at full speed or super slow in the actual instruction part so at half speed, with the backing, I just can't find the rhythm to it.

Anyway, kind of an explanation of my struggles but in short, I felt like my fingers started to get it last night so I will keep working very hard on this and hopefully have a REC quality video very shortly here. I also plan on recording some updated warmup/endurance stuff tonight so I will post that after I do it.

Thanks again for your patience! This is one of the tougher things I've ever learned so this will be cause for huge celebration when I get this! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2012, 05:10 PM
Instructor
hahah so I'm sure that we will celebrate mate! You are working hard and that's a really good thing. I'm proud of you! smile.gif
Everything sound great for me. That way of playing fast licks at tempo isn't something that I have ever used but it's ok if it helps. Every trick that can help you to improve your playing is more than welcome!
I will be waiting for your new takes! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 17 2012, 12:58 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabriel!

Not much new to report. I'm attaching a new recording of the Vai Rhythm. I've been working relentlessly at it but frankly, after listening to my recording I don't feel like I've made any progress on the legato section since the last one I posted. sad.gif

I've got the song down comfortably (although there are a few little errors in this recording) but I'm held up by the same little set of notes. I can do them slow but when I get up to speed it still feels like warp speed to me and my fingers just can't seem to handle it. I'm going to keep working away at it but if there are any pointers you may have for me, I want to try anything to finish this one.

Also, sorry I don't have any more warmup/endurance recordings right now. I've literally been devoting all of my practice time to this lesson. I'll have more of those up soon. smile.gif

Have a good one!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  vaiRhythmNew.mp3 ( 1.98MB ) Number of downloads: 89

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2012, 05:23 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! This is normal. You have to be patient, keep on playing this lesson but start working on exercises that could help you with those legato licks. We could go for this lesson that can be added to the warming up exercises.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...xercise-lesson/

what do you think??

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 17 2012, 05:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 17 2012, 04:23 PM) *
Hi mate! This is normal. You have to be patient, keep on playing this lesson but start working on exercises that could help you with those legato licks. We could go for this lesson that can be added to the warming up exercises.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...xercise-lesson/

what do you think??

Hey Gab! I know it will happen here eventually. I expect one of these days it's going to turn on like a switch and I'll look back at this and get a laugh. biggrin.gif

This legato exercise is perfect. I was actually thinking of finding something similar to try and help me and I don't think I could have picked a better one. Now if I can get that exercise up to full speed eventually I'll really be doing some things!

Thanks for the help! I'll keep you posted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2012, 05:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Mar 17 2012, 01:38 PM) *
Hey Gab! I know it will happen here eventually. I expect one of these days it's going to turn on like a switch and I'll look back at this and get a laugh. biggrin.gif

This legato exercise is perfect. I was actually thinking of finding something similar to try and help me and I don't think I could have picked a better one. Now if I can get that exercise up to full speed eventually I'll really be doing some things!

Thanks for the help! I'll keep you posted.

Great! Yeah! I took some time checking many legato exercises at the site. smile.gif

I also discovered one by Muris that could help because combines picking with legato but it was insane (level 9). biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:31 PM