Trouble Pushing Down The
montecristo
Jul 14 2008, 11:18 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble pushing down the G- string (when standard tuned ) , especially with an acoustic guitar when barring examples such as the following... As well, my fingers begin to hurt because I am putting pressure, but for some reason, no matter how much I put, the G- string particularly does not ring clearly :-( This is frustrating :-) Does anyone know why I cant get it to ring? is there a trick ? or is it just practice and practice and eventually I'll build up the proper strength?

Thanks for any input, it is always much appreciated because it is very helpful to me!

For example, some of the following chords I have trouble getting all the strings to ring clearly...

Bb7M Cm7 Dm7 Eb7M F7 Gm7 Am7/5- Bb7M

e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|--3-------4-------------6-------8-------------10-------11-------------13--------15----|
g|--2-------3-------------5-------7--------------8-------10-------------12--------14----|
d|--3-------5-------------7-------8-------------10-------12-------------13--------15----|
a|--1-------3-------------5-------6--------------8-------10-------------12--------13----|
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jul 14 2008, 11:22 PM
Get to da Chopper!
A couple of tips- you need to make sure you are freetting these chords with your fingertips, and ensure that your fingers fretting the notes on the D and B strings arent getting in the way and muting the string!Have a good look and make sure thats not the case.

Try not to apply too much pressure to the fretboard- i find it alot better to apply pressure by pulling the neck towards me- as opposed to just gripping it harder.

Best of luck! Hope that helped a little.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 14 2008, 11:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think you just have to fool around a little. It has probably got something to do with where you place your index finger. I remember having had problems with that. Could be that the string is "touching" your fingers at one of those points where you "bend" your finger. If you know what I mean...

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 15 2008, 03:39 AM
I still get a sore left hand when doing a lot of barre chords. I didn't practice them a lot before so my guitar teachers kinda drilling me on them now.

The main thing is that as much as it feels right to just push harder, usually, the problem isn't from a lack of pressure. It doesn't take much to push a string a fraction of a mm to the fret....

For me, most of the time, it's the positioning of my index finger is off. Frequently the problematic string is in the little wrinkle on the side of my index finger where the knuckle is. When that happens I need to shift up or down a little bit to move the strings under flatter parts of my finger.

I more frequently have problems with the high E string on barre chords. The problem ended up being that the base of my index finger's wider than the rest of it. So while my finger felt straight to me, but the base of the finger overlapped the fret on the high E a bit and muted it.

So for barre chords, I have to remember to shift my index finger around a bit to get it right. Its not second nature for me yet but I'm working on it.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 11:30 AM
It's all about strength. Put your thumb right behind the barring finger though.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:11 AM