> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Jtaylor's Groove Workshop
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 4 2012, 10:56 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! This is your personal thread so...let's start using it wink.gif shall we? Tell me please, which is your favorite most difficult rhythm lesson at GMC?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 5 2012, 01:19 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Hey Cosmin and thank you! There are so many, but I think I would like to try Slayer style by Lian Gerbino. It is a level 4 (and I am a level 2). However, it looks like something I could do with some work! smile.gif BTW, I am done with school until March 19. Since work slowed down (stopped) I have volunteered to go up north with my church and help victims of the tornadoes that happened this week. Not sure if they will be able to send a team, but I'll let ya know if I go.
Sooo, for the time being, shall I work on that lesson or do you have something else in mind? Thanks again! wink.gif Jon

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 5 2012, 08:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 5 2012, 12:19 AM) *
Hey Cosmin and thank you! There are so many, but I think I would like to try Slayer style by Lian Gerbino. It is a level 4 (and I am a level 2). However, it looks like something I could do with some work! smile.gif BTW, I am done with school until March 19. Since work slowed down (stopped) I have volunteered to go up north with my church and help victims of the tornadoes that happened this week. Not sure if they will be able to send a team, but I'll let ya know if I go.
Sooo, for the time being, shall I work on that lesson or do you have something else in mind? Thanks again! wink.gif Jon

Hey Jon smile.gif I think we can start with that lesson and see how you fare with it wink.gif can you record after learning it?

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 6 2012, 01:47 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Gonna try to have my Jackson set-up today (if the guitar shop can fit it in their schedule). Should have the REC done before the week is over smile.gif . Question about the Slayer-style lesson: Lian plays this with just downstrokes on the open E string. However, in the tab and the GP file, he shows E5 (I hope I said that correctly). Which way do you want me to do it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 6 2012, 09:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 6 2012, 12:47 PM) *
Gonna try to have my Jackson set-up today (if the guitar shop can fit it in their schedule). Should have the REC done before the week is over smile.gif . Question about the Slayer-style lesson: Lian plays this with just downstrokes on the open E string. However, in the tab and the GP file, he shows E5 (I hope I said that correctly). Which way do you want me to do it?

Hehe biggrin.gif E5 will provide more chunk so, I would suggest you try to insert it there instead of the open E (the later will provide more definition as it's only one string) let me know how it goes man!

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 7 2012, 06:20 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Just submitted the REC. Let me know what ya think and be hard on me! smile.gif Thanks Cosmin!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 10:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 7 2012, 05:20 PM) *
Just submitted the REC. Let me know what ya think and be hard on me! smile.gif Thanks Cosmin!

Hey Jon biggrin.gif Cool trick with the nails tongue.gif wasn't it a bit hard to play like that?

Now, timing would be essential to focus on - try to listen and see how the guitar parts in Lian's version are blending in with the drums, then play them at a very slow tempo, paying attention to be as tight as possible biggrin.gif then speed it up, by keeping a relaxed vibe wink.gif how does this sound my friend?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 8 2012, 12:15 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Hey Cosmin! Yes, I'm going to back and work on this. I will re-submit it in a couple of days. If it was not beginner rhythm, I would be happy with 8's, but I think I need to nail this down to 9's and 10's. I wish I had caught the timing because it sounds really bad in some areas. I wish I could blame it on not aligning the tracks right in Audacity but that is not it. I will do the next REC minus the "nails" laugh.gif . This brings a question to mind: Except on this one, I always try to fret with the very tips of my fingers. I didn't do it on this one because, yes, my nails were in the way. Are the very tips of the fingers the correct way? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I figured I'd better go ahead and ask before I go any further. smile.gif Thanks! Jon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 03:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 8 2012, 11:15 AM) *
Hey Cosmin! Yes, I'm going to back and work on this. I will re-submit it in a couple of days. If it was not beginner rhythm, I would be happy with 8's, but I think I need to nail this down to 9's and 10's. I wish I had caught the timing because it sounds really bad in some areas. I wish I could blame it on not aligning the tracks right in Audacity but that is not it. I will do the next REC minus the "nails" laugh.gif . This brings a question to mind: Except on this one, I always try to fret with the very tips of my fingers. I didn't do it on this one because, yes, my nails were in the way. Are the very tips of the fingers the correct way? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I figured I'd better go ahead and ask before I go any further. smile.gif Thanks! Jon

Usually yes smile.gif so, get rid of the nails my friend wink.gif let's see the next one blazing wink.gif

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 10 2012, 04:17 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Hey Cosmin!
2nd REC submitted! smile.gif I actually found part of my problem because I took the time the watch every part of the instruction.... I will make it a habit to do that from now on! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 11 2012, 12:31 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 10 2012, 11:17 AM) *
Hey Cosmin!
2nd REC submitted! smile.gif I actually found part of my problem because I took the time the watch every part of the instruction.... I will make it a habit to do that from now on! biggrin.gif

Also, Sinisa just put a new lesson up today. Is that a good one for me? Started messing with it and it is kicking me sideways laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 11 2012, 04:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 11 2012, 11:31 AM) *
Also, Sinisa just put a new lesson up today. Is that a good one for me? Started messing with it and it is kicking me sideways laugh.gif

Hey Jon! Yes, Sinisa's lesson is tackle-able biggrin.gif and it'll serve you good, as well as it'll serve me good as well wink.gif

Now about the take - there's definitely improvement there, but you can do better, as Gabe said, if I am not mistaken, you should tap your foot to the ground in order to get better and better at working with your internal body clock wink.gif

let me know how this feels man!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 12 2012, 10:55 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Hey Cosmin!
I'll be working on two things now. In regards to the timing on the Slayer lesson, Ben actually made a video just yesterday and sent me the link to it! biggrin.gif It is dealing directly with the problem I am having. As far as moving my head or tapping my foot, I have tried it..it seems to mess me up even more. I've got such bad habits deeply ingrained that I must work my way out of.
Having a bear of a time on Sinisa's lesson.... have always had problems with changing barre chord shapes and also arpeggios, beyond the real simple stuff. When I watch my picking, I fret the wrong notes....when I watch where my fretting hand is, I pick the wrong strings. Starting to think I should do it blindfolded.. huh.gif
So, that's where I'm at today. Hope your day is good. Jon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2012, 10:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 12 2012, 09:55 AM) *
Hey Cosmin!
I'll be working on two things now. In regards to the timing on the Slayer lesson, Ben actually made a video just yesterday and sent me the link to it! biggrin.gif It is dealing directly with the problem I am having. As far as moving my head or tapping my foot, I have tried it..it seems to mess me up even more. I've got such bad habits deeply ingrained that I must work my way out of.
Having a bear of a time on Sinisa's lesson.... have always had problems with changing barre chord shapes and also arpeggios, beyond the real simple stuff. When I watch my picking, I fret the wrong notes....when I watch where my fretting hand is, I pick the wrong strings. Starting to think I should do it blindfolded.. huh.gif
So, that's where I'm at today. Hope your day is good. Jon

hey Jon, all of us feel different at times regarding our personal progress and development when facing stuff we have never dealt with before, or too often smile.gif I would like to add that, nothing as actually difficult. It's just new biggrin.gif once you get used to it, it'll be normal smile.gif

Now, tapping a foot is always helpful, so try and get used to it a little at a time smile.gif find the parts which you feel confident when playing so that you may tap the foot without focusing on what you play. The idea is, that the foot should work independent of anything else - just like a metronome but built on your body smile.gif

About the chords - try and practice each shape at a time like this:

1) hold each shape and exercise the picking pattern
2) connect the shapes against a metronome, by only playing with your fretting hand - shift the positions when the time comes but do not pick them smile.gif
3) connect two shapes then 3, 4 and so on till you get them all flowing WHILE picking biggrin.gif

tell me how it worked tongue.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 13 2012, 09:21 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Hi Cosmin!
This is what I have so far. Less than half of it but I'm plugging away! biggrin.gif the barre arpeggios are really hard and just makes me realize how sloppily I was playing barre chords all this time! laugh.gif
[attachment=26708:Sinis_Ce...w_Lesson.wav]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 14 2012, 09:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 13 2012, 08:21 PM) *
Hi Cosmin!
This is what I have so far. Less than half of it but I'm plugging away! biggrin.gif the barre arpeggios are really hard and just makes me realize how sloppily I was playing barre chords all this time! laugh.gif
[attachment=26708:Sinis_Ce...w_Lesson.wav]

Hey Jon, aside from not letting some notes ring out (a bit more practice on that and it will be ok) timing is good and the tone as well smile.gif keep up the good work.

Tell me, did my approach help out?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 14 2012, 10:31 AM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 14 2012, 04:43 AM) *
Hey Jon, aside from not letting some notes ring out (a bit more practice on that and it will be ok) timing is good and the tone as well smile.gif keep up the good work.

Tell me, did my approach help out?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,
Yes, it certainly seems to be helping! This approach is actually helping in several different areas: (1) It is teaching me some patience. At 43, that is a skill I have not learned so this might just be a breakthrough! biggrin.gif (2) I can concentrate on one thing at a time. I have always just strummed any barre chords I have played. Playing them as arpeggios is a different ball game for me because I have to make every note right. This approach is letting me work on the trouble areas without thinking "uh-oh..I hope I can switch to the next chord in time!" I believe it is teaching me accuracy, which every player I have ever spoken to has said is way more important than speed. (3) I have not spent a lot of time doing the chord changes without picking but, just from the little bit I have done, I think those will improve the accuracy / timing.
I also sent my file to Sinisa and he liked it! He gave some good advice on things to work on. He also mentioned my cutting some notes off. That is something I have seen also but I'm not really sure how to fix it. I'll definitely be working on it though! Jon

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 15 2012, 01:32 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Hi Cosmin!
It has been suggested that the closer the guitar is to my body, the easier it is to barre a chord. Taking that into consideration, I experimented with this and decided to try the guitar on my right leg (I have always had it on the left). Besides the foreign feeling of it resting on a different leg, I think it might be giving me a little more leverage. I'll have more time to experiment with it tomorrow and will let you know. I am curious of your opinion on this? Jon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 15 2012, 12:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 14 2012, 09:31 AM) *
Hi Cosmin,
Yes, it certainly seems to be helping! This approach is actually helping in several different areas: (1) It is teaching me some patience. At 43, that is a skill I have not learned so this might just be a breakthrough! biggrin.gif (2) I can concentrate on one thing at a time. I have always just strummed any barre chords I have played. Playing them as arpeggios is a different ball game for me because I have to make every note right. This approach is letting me work on the trouble areas without thinking "uh-oh..I hope I can switch to the next chord in time!" I believe it is teaching me accuracy, which every player I have ever spoken to has said is way more important than speed. (3) I have not spent a lot of time doing the chord changes without picking but, just from the little bit I have done, I think those will improve the accuracy / timing.
I also sent my file to Sinisa and he liked it! He gave some good advice on things to work on. He also mentioned my cutting some notes off. That is something I have seen also but I'm not really sure how to fix it. I'll definitely be working on it though! Jon

Hey Jon! Glad to hear you're making progress wink.gif indeed, accuracy is a great skill to master, high and low speed so keep up the good work!

Regarding the guitar position - I used to play in the classical position a lot before but since 2010 I think, the side saddle position has been my favorite just because it feels more comfy smile.gif Now, regarding the barre - yes, the side saddle position helps and as a plus, your left leg can be used for tapping on the ground for tempo tongue.gif this is how I'm doing it and it feels incredibly good and fun.

I was thinking that it would be great if you could film yourself playing Sinisa's lesson and post it here so we can discuss further and take it to the REC once it's perfected - what do you say?

all the best

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 15 2012, 12:21 PM
Apprentice Roadie
[quote name='Cosmin Lupu' date='Mar 15 2012, 07:09 AM' post='574526']

I was thinking that it would be great if you could film yourself playing Sinisa's lesson and post it here so we can discuss further and take it to the REC once it's perfected - what do you say?

Definitely! I'll be working on that! When I do, I'll let you know how I am doing the sound. Since I upgraded my guitar and multi-effects, I am not getting a warm sound when I play clean. Sinisa has had experience with Jackson's and has been helping me with it. It sounds fine when running through my amp but, when I run through the line-in on the computer, it tends to give me a sound like "plink" laugh.gif when I pick the notes. The ME-25 is supposed to be able to run through a computer just fine, but I don't like the way it sounds at all. I had better luck with my little Digitech RP-80, but I gave that to my nephew when I bought the Boss laugh.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:15 PM