How To Play Satch Without Whammy?
mhskeide
Mar 1 2010, 11:48 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Within a month I will be playing a short concert with a band. The tune we`re gonna cover is Joe Satriani - The Extremist biggrin.gif

I got most of the solos down, but one problem remains. Joe`s playing with the whammybar...and I have a stoptail! Even though I will buy a new guitar soon, it won`t be soon enough.

Any suggestions for suitable FX, tricks etc. to pull uf instead of the whammy smile.gif ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
sted
Mar 1 2010, 12:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Digitech whammy mate! Check it out!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 1 2010, 01:48 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (sted @ Mar 1 2010, 12:35 PM) *
Digitech whammy mate! Check it out!

I`m aware of the pedal, but I don`t know anyone I can borrow from, and I`m not keen on spending 100$+ for a pedal for one song smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 1 2010, 02:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
I can't remember the song completely to be honest, but you could try and work something out with slides (E.G. slide from the note he whammies from to the note he ends on with the whammy - you know whatever many semitones etc. above/below).

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2010, 02:06 PM
Instructor
Yeah, I recommend the Whammy pedal as well. It's definitely not the same thing, but you can achieve similar sound.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 1 2010, 02:09 PM
Instructor
paul gilbert use a flanger to simulate dive bombs, maybe that can help smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 1 2010, 07:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 1 2010, 02:02 PM) *
I can't remember the song completely to be honest, but you could try and work something out with slides (E.G. slide from the note he whammies from to the note he ends on with the whammy - you know whatever many semitones etc. above/below).

Hmm, no bad suggestion! If I manage somehow to equip myself with a slide I can pull of something equal as noisy biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Mar 1 2010, 02:09 PM) *
paul gilbert use a flanger to simulate dive bombs, maybe that can help smile.gif

I don`t have any flanger pedals, but as a matter of fact I have it on my crate solidstate amp! I may have to use that anyway to get enough gain and sustain, but I don`t know If I trust the FX switch on the footboard tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Mar 2 2010, 01:12 PM
Instructor
I think you are refering to the open string harmonics near the end of the main solo. I used to play those with a botlleneck when I was doing the song live with fixed bridge guitar. smile.gif

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 2 2010, 07:40 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Damir Puh @ Mar 2 2010, 01:12 PM) *
I think you are refering to the open string harmonics near the end of the main solo. I used to play those with a botlleneck when I was doing the song live with fixed bridge guitar. smile.gif

Yup, thats right smile.gif

I imagine a bottleneck would give a suitable sound....but how to get the bottleneck on and off fast blink.gif ?
I think I need all my fingers free to concentrate both on the solo before and after the harmonics. did you play the entire solo with the slide equipped or did you just pick it up for the harmonic part?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Mar 2 2010, 07:47 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 2 2010, 12:40 PM) *

I imagine a bottleneck would give a suitable sound....but how to get the bottleneck on and off fast blink.gif ?
I think I need all my fingers free to concentrate both on the solo before and after the harmonics. did you play the entire solo with the slide equipped or did you just pick it up for the harmonic part?

Well some guys do it with a ring but there's also this other thing here called a jetslide which looks quick to engage/disengage as well. I've never tried one, dunno how easy it is to play other stuff or how much time it takes to get used to (so you're not knocking it against your fretboard) but it looks like this:

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 2 2010, 08:07 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Mar 2 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Well some guys do it with a ring but there's also this other thing here called a jetslide which looks quick to engage/disengage as well. I've never tried one, dunno how easy it is to play other stuff or how much time it takes to get used to (so you're not knocking it against your fretboard) but it looks like this:

Those rings was quite expensive and seemed a little bit difficult to slide clean with...

..the jetslide however was such an smart invention that I ordered one immediately smile.gif
Hopefully it arrives and I learn to play with it before the gig, but this seems like a toy I can have a lot of fun with later as well.
Thanks for the tip Jafomatic biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 2 2010, 08:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Let us know how it works out for you. I've always wanted to try slide but never got around to it.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Mar 2 2010, 08:19 PM
GMC:er
hahah, yeah. I keep thinking "oh I meant to buy one of those, why didn't I do that?" And then I go to the order page and am reminded: I don't know my ring size. I keep meaning to fix that. biggrin.gif

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 2 2010, 08:21 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Mar 2 2010, 08:19 PM) *
hahah, yeah. I keep thinking "oh I meant to buy one of those, why didn't I do that?" And then I go to the order page and am reminded: I don't know my ring size. I keep meaning to fix that. biggrin.gif

Well, look at me! I forgot to even MENTION ring size before checking out, LOL laugh.gif
I sent him a pm though, I presume it`s not too late to inform him smile.gif
I know that the smallest dunlop glass slide (211) are made for ringfinger-size 5.5 , so I suggested him to make a 6 for me since that slide is a bit tight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Mar 3 2010, 12:49 AM
Instructor

No way you can play those fast legato runs before the harmonics with a bottleneck on your finger. I remember I used to grab the slide just for that part...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:02 AM