Personality Expressed Through Music, Why certain musicians make it and others don't
Mudbone
Oct 4 2010, 01:01 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
With enough practice, anyone can perform anything. With that being said, nobody can be you better than you. Sounds kinda cheesy but its true. Think of all the great bands out there with distinctive styles - Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Malmsteen, and Nirvana. Each are known for their very distinct style; you could hear a song by one of these artists that you haven't heard before but immediately know who was performing it. Each of those groups have vastly different levels of technical difficulty, but each spent just as much time as the other developing their sound.

Now put on one of those mix CD's record labels put out that have a compilation of songs of their signed bands. If it wasn't for the track list on the back of the case you probably wouldn't be able to distinguish one band from the next. While some of those bands might be technically proficient, they don't have any personality or character.

Personality and character are what people want to see and hear, why do you think people watch a movie with Al Pacino in it without even knowing what the story is? They just want to see Al Pacino, story be damned.

One great example of personality expressed through music is Dimebag Darrell. He's loud and obnoxious, just like his music. Once you see and hear him outside of a musical context you'll realize that no one else could have ever came up with Panteras music. His music isn't just a series of arpeggios and chords, his music is him. Damn, kinda getting all philosophical here again tongue.gif

So, are you practicing with the intention of better expressing your personality, or practicing just to master a certain task? If you just want to play music for fun, then this probably doesn't apply to you, and theres nothing wrong with that. But if you want to write music, you should definitely try to infuse your DNA into your music.

After watching this, you'll know why Panteras music sounds the way it does smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
The Uncreator
Oct 4 2010, 03:26 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Good post, but as with most things music, it is objective and differs from person to person. You might hear character and personality in Pantera (or any other band for that matter), but there is always someone who doesn't.

I can listen to bands like Brain Drill, Origin, Allegaeon, Viramaeia, and almost any other super-technical band and can still find distinguishing characteristics, while most others can't, which is fine. Conversely I can listen to players like Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Matthew Santos, Kaki King and other less technically oriented musicians and find those same characteristics that give their music character and personality, but there are just as many of those players that I feel ambivalent towards as the technically minded ones.

It just comes down to what you want to use to express yourself.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 4 2010, 04:28 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Oct 3 2010, 10:26 PM) *
Good post, but as with most things music, it is objective and differs from person to person. You might hear character and personality in Pantera (or any other band for that matter), but there is always someone who doesn't.

I can listen to bands like Brain Drill, Origin, Allegaeon, Viramaeia, and almost any other super-technical band and can still find distinguishing characteristics, while most others can't, which is fine. Conversely I can listen to players like Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Matthew Santos, Kaki King and other less technically oriented musicians and find those same characteristics that give their music character and personality, but there are just as many of those players that I feel ambivalent towards as the technically minded ones.

It just comes down to what you want to use to express yourself.

You're absolutely right that all music is subjective, either you like it or you don't, thats why I don't understand what the Grammys are all about tongue.gif I was referring to broad genres, such as metal, rock, punk, etc.. It just seems like for every unique band in a certain genre there are about 100 generic ones.

I wasn't really knocking super-technical bands, I mentioned Malmsteen for a reason smile.gif (He actually wears a fluffy 17th century era shirt when he plays tennis biggrin.gif ) But you have to admit, for every super technical band on the scene there are also 100 more that are generic, and thats the same in every genre.

But what this post really is about is infusing your personality into your music, and about artists that have done it successfully. Being technical can also be a way to express your personality. Its also about setting your own path, instead of going with the current trend smile.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 4 2010, 11:01 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Many bands have great personality, many more still seem to not quite achieve it. I think a lot of it comes down to the musicians themselves as well, I know a lot of people don't care if a musician is an a-hole in real life, but I think the opposite. If I know that a band/ musician is a decent and humble person in real life, in some way it adds to the personality of their music for me. Like Iron Maiden, they have that DIY take no bull attitude and dedication to themselves and their fans that gave them their legendary fanbase. Or when Zakk Wylde bought that random kid a guitar in a music store, or the drummer for quo vadis who is actually a neurologist/ brain surgeon, Or Cannibal Corpse, who despite their well known violent and horrific themes for music, are absolutely the coolest guys to hang out with (I know, I have met them in bars several times.)

These kinds of things, in a small, but signficant way, can add to how you see their music I think.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:29 PM