61 Reissue, Your opinions if this is fake?
draftzero
Feb 13 2009, 02:31 AM
GMC:er
I'm buying this guitar from someone and getting a good deal... it just seems to good to be true.. was wondering what your opinions are?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/draftzero/009019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/draftzero/009020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/draftzero/009021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/draftzero/009022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/draftzero/009023.jpg

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
skennington
Feb 13 2009, 03:15 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
A lot of fake one's out their man so be careful. Here's a little guide that may help you identify it a bit better once you see it in person.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Feat...terfeitGibsons/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 13 2009, 03:21 AM
Ya i've read that and it doesn't look like a fake... its so hard to tell. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Les Paul
Feb 13 2009, 03:33 AM
Dude, if it’s the real thing, it’s probably over a grand, and that’s lots of dough to buy over Internet (I’m assuming you are buying from eBay), unless you the seller has a good rating, walk away. It’s not worth the hassle.

I usually check out Craigslist (I don’t know it’s available where you live) and buy things in person.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Feb 13 2009, 03:48 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

look similar - I'll bet it's legit..

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 13 2009, 04:05 AM
Instructor
I've found these links

http://www.gibsonlespaulelectricguitar.com...e-gibson-guitar

http://howtobuyguitars.com/2008/10/28/how-...-choose-wisely/

Are very similar to the Gibson site posted up there but there are a few more things.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 13 2009, 05:26 AM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Feb 12 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Ya i hope so, only time will tell... i went ahead and bought it... just got to wait for it in the mail.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 13 2009, 10:21 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Looks alright to me, it's just that... look at the wood on the left half. SG's tend to have grainy straight lines. That looks like the round lines are coming together into a twig (in theory since the twig would be outside the wood).
I'm not convinced Gibson would have passed that piece. Rather passed it further to Epiphone.
Aside from that it looks genuine.

And it's no secret that copies of Ibanez JEM, Gibson guitars and other guitars and judging by the looks in the adverisments I've seen they are well made. So check it up good before you buy, Skennys checklist looks helpul and you should definitly take help from that.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 13 2009, 10:50 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The two things that struck me are:

1) in the first photo the block inlay/position markers on the neck don't all look to be centered. This may however just be the angle of the photo.

2) on the penultimate photo the screws in the cover look to be in an odd place. I don't know about SGs but on my LP the screws are placed symetrically to form a diamond. It may be that Gibson didn't do this on SGs but given there attention to detail I'd check out an SG just in case. Can anyone confirm who has got an SG.

Also, as Micke says, Skenny has linked an excellent list of things to look for.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 13 2009, 11:37 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 13 2009, 10:50 AM) *
The two things that struck me are:

1) in the first photo the block inlay/position markers on the neck don't all look to be centered. This may however just be the angle of the photo.

2) on the penultimate photo the screws in the cover look to be in an odd place. I don't know about SGs but on my LP the screws are placed symetrically to form a diamond. It may be that Gibson didn't do this on SGs but given there attention to detail I'd check out an SG just in case. Can anyone confirm who has got an SG.

Also, as Micke says, Skenny has linked an excellent list of things to look for.

Here are a few SG 61 cover plates, they look assymetrical on the 61 while SG Standard has five screws placed in symmetrical formation. I suppose that part is right.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yhrTTkqo0Io/SLAN...+61+Lelong3.JPG
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/slv.../DSC08266_4.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/JE...s/Sg61eb008.jpg
http://www.blueskillet.com/images/Guitar%2...G_61RI/Back.JPG

I'm still curious about the wood. Makes me think it's not a Gibson after all, after watching a lot of pictures I havn't seen a single one with such uneven and curvy wood lines. Or is it a Gibson that slipped through spite the unevenness?
Here's an Epiphone with less than perfect wood lines
http://www.diamondstrings.com/GIBSON%20SG%2061%20RI-3.jpg

I wonder...

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 13 2009, 11:41 AM
I must admit it does look like an Epiphone SG with a Gibson headstock. My SG wood quality looks of so much higher quality but it's hard to tell from a picture sometimes.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 13 2009, 06:58 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 13 2009, 03:21 AM) *
Looks alright to me, it's just that... look at the wood on the left half. SG's tend to have grainy straight lines. That looks like the round lines are coming together into a twig (in theory since the twig would be outside the wood).
I'm not convinced Gibson would have passed that piece. Rather passed it further to Epiphone.
Aside from that it looks genuine.

And it's no secret that copies of Ibanez JEM, Gibson guitars and other guitars and judging by the looks in the adverisments I've seen they are well made. So check it up good before you buy, Skennys checklist looks helpul and you should definitly take help from that.

Ok after some searching i found these... what do you think?

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/BASGHCCH1.JPG
(i know this is a bass)

http://hansoncory.com/ryan%20fogg/gibson-sg-standard.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-G...aestro-VOS.aspx

This post has been edited by draftzero: Feb 13 2009, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post
inertia
Feb 13 2009, 07:20 PM
Dude it may not be possible to be definitive about it's authenticity without seeing the guitar in person and seeing the guts of it. If you're that worried about it, just pass on it, because regardless of what can we can deduce from the cruddy angled pictures, it may not be correct. I'd hate to see you end up with a fake.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 13 2009, 07:35 PM
Instructor
It's very hard to tell by the pictures, even in person. Definitely read all you know about these guitars, bring a second person who's an expert with you if you can and try the guitar extensively. opening the back plate and checking for electronic components can usually solve many mysteries.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 13 2009, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 13 2009, 06:58 PM) *

Yeah, maybe it's genuine after all. But I can't belive the upper one, it has what looks like a twig on one of the horns. If you ever knocked on a piece of wood to detemine it's sound quality you'd hear that close to a twig the sound is very dull, it just dies. While in a good spot the wood will ring and sustain.
I can't belive Gibson would let pieces like that pass the quality assuarence.

But none the less, it works the case of your guitar being genuine so that's the good news. smile.gif

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 14 2009, 02:53 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 13 2009, 01:46 PM) *
Yeah, maybe it's genuine after all. But I can't belive the upper one, it has what looks like a twig on one of the horns. If you ever knocked on a piece of wood to detemine it's sound quality you'd hear that close to a twig the sound is very dull, it just dies. While in a good spot the wood will ring and sustain.
I can't belive Gibson would let pieces like that pass the quality assuarence.

But none the less, it works the case of your guitar being genuine so that's the good news. smile.gif

Ya only time will tell... I talked to the guy he seemed genuine (i guess they all would...), but also he has a high rating, no discrepancies.. he said he'd even let me return it.. if i wasn't happy. Only time will tell.. once it arrives (hopefully tuesday... i'll check out the insides and whatnot)

Now i just gotta find an amp to buy *sigh*

Im thinking the Vypyr 30W.

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 18 2009, 07:39 AM
Just received my SG in the mail... after looking at the guts... i think i'm convinced this is legit... your thoughts?

It has minor surface scratches. Also the metal needs polishing. anyone know of any good methods to remedy this? I've just purchased a Cleaning Care Kit... see if that will do the trick.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by draftzero: Feb 18 2009, 07:40 AM

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 18 2009, 07:52 AM
Instructor
It looks original to me.
Congrats on the adquisition biggrin.gif

For the little scratches I recommend to watch Dan Erlewine's videos or his book. He takes care of all those little things.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Feb 18 2009, 03:11 PM
Looks great man, enjoy!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 18 2009, 04:50 PM
Certainly looks original to me!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:48 AM