> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Anvil Style, Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Mudbone
Jul 22 2015, 04:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Anvil Style by Gabriel Leopardi

Pretty much first time filming with the DSLR. I'm using a Blackstar ID Core 20, and its mic'ed up with a Zoom H2 thats plugged directly into the camera. Guitar is a Fender Strat with a DiMarzio Chopper in the bridge. The strings are dead... but will be replaced soon. I had a better take earlier, but I had no pants on... don't think you guys want to see Sasquatch rocking out to Anthrax...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 22 2015, 10:36 AM
Instructor
Mr Bone! It's good to see your sexy self in the REC zone.. and how do you know we don't want to see the no pants video?

Duder, I've got no complaints with this take other than, at a push, I could say it felt you were pushing slightly ahead of the beat during the opening riffs.

Your picking technique is interesting, you have a very relaxed, wrist 'out' approach which is natural for strumming / riffing yet you also anchor the fingers as well. It looks uncomfortable with the anchor + wrist out that way but looks can be deceiving!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 22 2015, 04:29 PM
Instructor
I would like to add some technical suggestions to what Ben's has said already (mostly little timming issues comes out at the beginning). Recording levels - your takes sound like it's way too compressed and with clipping. Always make sure to not overdo the compression since it can make same good as bad when used inproperly. Backing tracks can be already mastered to a high volume and usually it's better to bring out the solo by decreasing backing track volume. All together should not go above ) db on your master volume track meter.
Another thing is the gain level - it also sound a bit too compressed - slightly muddy. Giving less gain would give you clearer attack and better separation between notes - especially in the fast, pal muted runs. Check original lesson for reference and compare the difference. Aside from this I do not notice any serious mistakes. Well done smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2015, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Hi Mudbone! Great to see you playing this lesson!

I have nothing to add to my friends comments here. The overall take is tight and well played. Just focus on those details that Ben marked and off course try to improve the sound of your audio mix as Darius suggested.

Keep on rocking.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 25 2015, 10:56 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 02:50 AM