Thickness Of Pick
peterorg54
Sep 22 2007, 01:35 PM
GMC:er
is 'thin' pick better ?

or is 'heavy' pick better ?

thats my question. well i was using 'heavy' one , but i just drifted into use 'thin' one..

well i say thin one is better for speed picking.. cuz i felt really good when i was using thin one..

am i right ??

ps. im new, say hi !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by peterorg54: Sep 22 2007, 01:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kethcup
Sep 22 2007, 01:39 PM
what up dude...

pick thickness comes down to preference.

I use a mini pick at 1.14mm. I love it and can't seem to get used to any others. But... it's all personal pref man.

IMO: Thin is good for acoustic strumming, etc...

*shrug*

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 22 2007, 02:13 PM
QUOTE (kethcup @ Sep 22 2007, 07:39 AM) *
what up dude...

pick thickness comes down to preference.

I use a mini pick at 1.14mm. I love it and can't seem to get used to any others. But... it's all personal pref man.

IMO: Thin is good for acoustic strumming, etc...

*shrug*

People who have been around can correct me if I am wrong here, but I have the strong impression that the really great guitarists just about universally use at least a moderately thick pick.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 22 2007, 02:14 PM

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 22 2007, 03:13 PM
It really is like Kethcup said personal preferance.I'm with you on the speedpicking being easier with a thinner pick.Although i like using different size picks pending on what im playing.I use a light gauge pick and also Fender Medium's.I believe Fender makes a medium light gauge which would be pefect for me,also i dont know if they make these anymore but, there used to be a pick called a Dava control pick where it was 3 gauges in one.It all depended on where you griped it for light ,medium and heavy gauge.It was an awesome pick and prevented slipping,i think im going to have to look for it again. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Sep 22 2007, 03:29 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 22 2007, 07:13 AM) *
It really is like Kethcup said personal preferance.I'm with you on the speedpicking being easier with a thinner pick.Although i like using different size picks pending on what im playing.I use a light gauge pick and also Fender Medium's.I believe Fender makes a medium light gauge which would be pefect for me,also i dont know if they make these anymore but, there used to be a pick called a Dava control pick where it was 3 gauges in one.It all depended on where you griped it for light ,medium and heavy gauge.It was an awesome pick and prevented slipping,i think im going to have to look for it again. smile.gif

I prefer heavy picks for speed picking. I can feel a slight bend with a medium and light thickness. They still do make the 3 guage pick still.

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 22 2007, 03:53 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 22 2007, 09:13 AM) *

I know "personal preference" is sort of a modern day mantra. However, I would like to know of any world class shredder, and I mean one who makes a lot of money doing that, who uses a thin pick for his fast work? I know of none. Maybe there are some, I would like to know who they are.

QUOTE (Soul_Decision @ Sep 22 2007, 09:29 AM) *
I prefer heavy picks for speed picking. I can feel a slight bend with a medium and light thickness. They still do make the 3 guage pick still.

I don't use that heavy. Mine say 1.2 and 1.5, I feel they are thinner than that. When I say thin, I mean the real thin flexible ones, can't see using those for fast AP.

I am sure that if you use very light strings, like 10-38, you could get away with a thinner pick. That may be the deal, the guys who say they use a thin pick for fast AP may invariably use very thin strings, maybe even down tune. I don't see using a super thin pick with say 10-46 strings turned standard for AP.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 22 2007, 04:17 PM
Lets go fishing!
I have tried many picks thick and thin. For me thick is the only way to go with technical playing - but like everyone says its purley down to prefrence.

I use the Jim Dunlop 1mm USA Nylon - its the ONLY pick i want to play guitar with now! smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Sep 22 2007, 04:17 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 22 2007, 08:38 PM
Instructor
Dunlop 2mm and Light Pick Heavy tip which is even more than 2 mm.
Heavy pick gives me enough tone and attack without hitting string too much.
I'm talking about playing on electric guitar of course.
For acoustic I use thiner,about 1 mm.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 22 2007, 09:31 PM
I have a bunch of the Dava control picks and really like them. I mainly use brass picks made by cymbolic, I love the tone they give. It's almost a bell like tonal quality. I agree it is all about what feels right for you, I really don't like thin picks

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
chast
Sep 23 2007, 12:08 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 22 2007, 05:17 PM) *
I have tried many picks thick and thin. For me thick is the only way to go with technical playing - but like everyone says its purley down to prefrence.

I use the Jim Dunlop 1mm USA Nylon - its the ONLY pick i want to play guitar with now! smile.gif

I use exactly the same biggrin.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 23 2007, 01:05 AM
There is only 1 pick i use now and those are Alice Picks. IDK exactly why but i tried a few and narrowed it down to two picks that i have tons of laying around. Those are the Alice .96mm and the Alice .71 mm ive also used the .81mm when i have to. I try to never go any thicker than this because i also lose speed and thinner i lose speed cause i get no precision. this is all IMO there are thousands of guitars who all use thousands of differnent picks.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 23 2007, 01:33 AM
Instructor
I have a lot of picks and i play a bit on each biggrin.gif

They are all around 1.14 to 1.4mm thick. Today i picked up 1 Dunlop Jazz III pick and will try it a bit. What i don't like about it already is that it is way too small but we'll see how it works.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 23 2007, 02:10 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (chast @ Sep 23 2007, 12:08 AM) *
I use exactly the same biggrin.gif

very cool wink.gif I definatly get on with Dunlop picks best, and like picks with grip for speed picking!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 23 2007, 02:42 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 22 2007, 07:33 PM) *
I have a lot of picks and i play a bit on each biggrin.gif

They are all around 1.14 to 1.4mm thick. Today i picked up 1 Dunlop Jazz III pick and will try it a bit. What i don't like about it already is that it is way too small but we'll see how it works.

iif you ever come across these, I suggest you give it a try

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-Pack-of-Cool-Pi...1QQcmdZViewItem

the grip is nice, but it more than just that. I feel they are quite special. sometimes I lightly rub the tip with very fine sandpaper, there is sometimes a microscopic nub from the mold there that is noticeable when you play. But just a few wipes with fine sandpaper removes it.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 23 2007, 10:54 PM
I use the black Dunlop Jazz III's. They're smaller and probably about 1.4mm. They have a sharp angled point and last forever. I've been using the same pick for a solid 4 months now, I still have 11 left! With the thinner picks when playing fast I'd notice the pick would start to contour to my thumb after an hour or so playing and the pick was practically worthless at that point.

Personally I prefer the smaller pick size since it requires your hand to make smaller movements and be more accurate. I won't say just but owning one it makes you a better guitar player but my right hand improved a good bit by using a Jazz 3 since it requires you play with much more accuracy than larger picks. I picked them up after reading an article in Guitar Player (I think) where they had endorsements of the 3 from Alexi Laiho, Matt Heafy, Eric Johnson, and several others.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:39 AM