High E String Offtune After 12th Fret, Weird problem
Iluha
Aug 29 2007, 02:41 AM
GMC:er
well the topic preety much says it, but it seems that my high E string goes offtune after the 12th fret, is it a problem with the intonation? or what? thanks for the help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Iluha: Aug 29 2007, 02:42 AM

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 29 2007, 03:02 AM
I think that it might be the length beetween the nut and bridge. To make the guitar tuned in every fret you need to make sure every string is tuned with open string and on 12th fret.

But if its only after the 12th fret I dunno what it is.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Aug 29 2007, 03:02 AM

+Quote Post
Ryan
Aug 30 2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah, dude just check the intonation of the guitar. If it doesnt help. Just do it the easy way. Repair Shop biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 30 2007, 05:19 PM
Instructor
Once the intonation is set - you should never change it. I set intonation on my guitar perfectly and while strings are in good condition it all tunes perfectly. When strings go old the intonation starts to fail so it mean you should first try to change strings. If the intonation with new strings is bad than you have to set it up on the bridge.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 30 2007, 06:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Try adjusting the screw to move the E string saddle either back or forth.

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Aug 30 2007, 06:46 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 30 2007, 07:43 PM) *
Try adjusting the screw to move the E string saddle either back or forth.

Yeah just mind this might take some time to figure out. Its also harder to get right on a flowting bridge ... Oh i hate that job.

BTW anyone know where you can get those small allen keys for a strats ? So i can adjust my intonation ?

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 30 2007, 08:22 PM
I was afraid it might be the strings age, sounds logical to me since their about 6 months old now tongue.gif... but god I hate changing strings on a floyd rose.. thanks for the help guys I'll try that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 30 2007, 08:29 PM
Instructor
You guys make it a big deal out of nothing! Changing strings on floyd rose takes me 1 hour straight together with full tuning! So it's nothing difficult at all if you know what you are doing.

Don't scare each other with Floyd Rose tremolos - it's not scary at all and not difficult at all.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 30 2007, 08:39 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 30 2007, 03:29 PM) *
You guys make it a big deal out of nothing! Changing strings on floyd rose takes me 1 hour straight together with full tuning! So it's nothing difficult at all if you know what you are doing.

Don't scare each other with Floyd Rose tremolos - it's not scary at all and not difficult at all.

Agree!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 30 2007, 09:15 PM
It's like you said, when you KNOW what you'r doing, I don't sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 30 2007, 09:30 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Iluha @ Aug 30 2007, 04:15 PM) *

Well, we're happy to help if you need it smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 30 2007, 10:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Iluha @ Aug 30 2007, 10:15 PM) *

And how will you ever learn if you won't get started on it?

Just do it man! Put a piece of wood under the tremolo so that if won't fall into the body. After that it's just like any other guitar.
Try and you'll learn! Come here to ask for help if the guitar catch fire or explode smile.gif

Ti ot gnihton s'ereht. Sgnirts ruoy egnahc ,ti od.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 30 2007, 10:54 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 31 2007, 12:02 AM
Instructor
You don't have to put a piece of wood at all. Just replace string by string and you'll be good! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 31 2007, 02:36 AM
Heheh.. just rememberd something really crucial, I lost that key that is used for opening the string holders on the bridge... so I think I'll go buy one toomarow. but I'm scared lol, last time I tried changing them on my own it took me about 3 hours, and since then I only changed them about once a year, at a guitar shop, because that fatherless person takes about 25 bucks to change strings, and that's not including the strings, so overall it's abou a 35 bucks deal, a really bad deal.

Edited for language - Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 31 2007, 04:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 31 2007, 04:11 AM
Instructor
First couple of times it took me very long also but than after 6 times you change strings on your own you can do it with your eyes closed!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:26 AM