Changing Strings
Norven
Dec 10 2007, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
3 months ago I bought a new guitar: RG T42DX.
A couple a days ago my low E string broke. And I thought that I should change all strings.
I Change one string at the time, but when I was ready to tune It To E, My Saddle is moving up and up.
Is there some things you should do when youre changing strings on a guitar like this?
I don´t want to leave it to the music store to fix it, then I won´t have it back in months. (christmas, much work.)

help? rolleyes.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 09:53 PM
Ibanez may have something on their site about that. That happened to my JEM and my ESP.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 10 2007, 09:55 PM
Try look ing on here, it helped me out

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 10 2007, 11:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Norven @ Dec 10 2007, 09:52 PM) *
3 months ago I bought a new guitar: RG T42DX.
A couple a days ago my low E string broke. And I thought that I should change all strings.
I Change one string at the time, but when I was ready to tune It To E, My Saddle is moving up and up.
Is there some things you should do when youre changing strings on a guitar like this?
I don´t want to leave it to the music store to fix it, then I won´t have it back in months. (christmas, much work.)

help? rolleyes.gif

If you changed to the same gauge strings this could happen until they are finished stretching.

If you changed to thicker strings, say 009 was on the guitar from the store (which is my guess) and you change to 010 the bridge will raise and stay that way until you tighten the screws inside the back of your guitar. You're supposed to find the position where the bridge is in balance from the force the strings pulls one way and the springs inside pull the other way.
Check that link that was posted above!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 10 2007, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Dec 10 2007, 02:53 PM) *
That happened to my JEM and my ESP.

TOO MUCH informatioN!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Dec 10 2007, 11:16 PM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2007, 12:02 AM
Instructor
IT is normal, since your guitar is setup by default for 009. Try to tighten your bridge and it will be fine. You have to setup your guitar every time you change the gauge in the case you didnt know it before.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 11 2007, 09:54 AM
Instructor
How did you manage to break the low E string? unsure.gif

I also have Ibanez with locking mechanism and this is what I do when restring the guitar. I don't cut the head of the string, just turn it upside down, first through the tuning mechanism and then down into the bridge. Since (in my case) only thin strings tend to break I leave extra rounds of the string in the tunining mechanism, and if a string breaks (it usually happens at the bridge) you just remove the broken part from the bridge, loosen the necessery lenght of string from tuning mechanism to insert it in the bridge, tighten and tune it. This is the fastest way and it's great for gigs smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Norven
Dec 12 2007, 07:31 AM
QUOTE (Dejan @ Dec 11 2007, 09:54 AM) *
How did you manage to break the low E string? unsure.gif

Sorry, I meant high E string. hehe

I asked in the shop when I bought it what size the strings had on my guitar and they said 010.

I will try to tighten the screws backside.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 12 2007, 09:05 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Norven @ Dec 12 2007, 07:31 AM) *
Sorry, I meant high E string. hehe

I asked in the shop when I bought it what size the strings had on my guitar and they said 010.
I will try to tighten the screws backside.

Loosen the strings a bit first so they don't snap... again. smile.gif

And make sure you have played a lot on the guitar first so the strings are fully stretched. A couple of hours whammying and bending should do it.

+Quote Post
Norven
Dec 12 2007, 03:59 PM
now ive tried to tighten the screws as you said. The thing is now, when I tune the low E string and A it stays tuned. But when I tune the G B E(low) The Low E get out of tune. and the bridge gets higher and higher.
How do I tune it right?:S

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 12 2007, 04:12 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
sounds like the guitar needs setting up for the string gauge, you`ll need to remove the backing plate revealing the springs, there should be a plate that normally has a coulpe of screws that you`ll need to tighten, pulling the bridge back level.

when I change all the strings on mine I tune up without locking the strings, the tuning may not be accurate at this point as you said the lower strings go a little out of tune as you tune the rest, as the tension on the bridge gets greater, I check to see if the bridge is level if its not then I tighten the screws or slacken (depending on whats required) but this isnt normally the case for me as I only use 9 gauge strings all the time so its always the same.
once they are pretty much in I pull on the strings, stretching them in a little, you`ll feel the string actually give a little, not so hard that you break it or damage it, you`ll then need to re tune and I do the whole thing again and again, retuning and pulling slightly till the pull no longer sends the strings miles out of tune, once they are at this point I tune up properly, still not locking the headnut, and play for a bit, as MickeM says, some mad string bending and a bit of whammy bar use, once the strings are fully stretched in I do a final tune up, lock the headbolts and use the fine tuners.

this sounds like a drag but really doesnt take very long to do on each string.

hope that helped a bit smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 12 2007, 07:30 PM
Instructor
a small tip that may be useful, open the back of the guitar where tremolo mechanism is, loosen the screws that hold the tremolo, put some object to fill up the space between tremolo and the guitar body to level the tremolo and to make it temporary immovable while strings are loose, then tune the guitar normally, when you tuned it remove that object (guitar will detune) and then tighten the screws on the back of tremolo to return it to tune.. that should work smile.gif

if you have 3 springs in the back and cannot level the tremolo correctly (the screws reach the end) you have to at the fourth spring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 13 2007, 03:30 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
check out the pinned link at the top of the gear forum ( setting up a floyd Rose). Your guitar may not have a Floyd but this is great instruction for re-stringing a floating bridge. It touches on all of the things mentioned by other GMC'ers.

good luck!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 06:50 AM