Drum Machine
Les Paul
Mar 6 2009, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
I need some advice in getting a drum machine. I have zero knowledge in this area.

I need something to jam with the band, and for my own practice. My band plays Oasis stuff, and I mostly play Blues and Rock.

Some questions:
1) How do you listen to the drum machine out loud? Do I need another amp, or do I plug it into existing “cd in” jack in my current amp?
2) How do you record the drum track in recording software? I use Toneport UX2 & Mixcraft. Do I plug it into input jack on Toneport UX2, like I do with my guitar?

I was thinking about these two models; let me know if these models are good fit for me. I’m looking for user-friendly model, so that I don’t have to spend tons of hours to figure out how to program darn thing.

Alesis SR-18
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.co...hine?sku=703240

Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.co...-DR3?sku=700510

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 6 2009, 11:46 PM
Instructor
1. Drum machine has outputs so you can connect it to something that will play them louder, wetter it's Guitar amps cd in, or audio system of some sort.
2. Yes, but you can connect the drum machine guitar in 2 and your guitar into guitar in1 and record them both at once on separate tracks.
3. Both of these models are great, I think you will have to spend some time with them to learn how they work, but it will be worth it mate.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 6 2009, 11:46 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 7 2009, 02:46 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Les Paul @ Mar 6 2009, 09:41 PM) *
I need some advice in getting a drum machine. I have zero knowledge in this area.

I need something to jam with the band, and for my own practice. My band plays Oasis stuff, and I mostly play Blues and Rock.

Some questions:
1) How do you listen to the drum machine out loud? Do I need another amp, or do I plug it into existing “cd in” jack in my current amp?
2) How do you record the drum track in recording software? I use Toneport UX2 & Mixcraft. Do I plug it into input jack on Toneport UX2, like I do with my guitar?

I was thinking about these two models; let me know if these models are good fit for me. I’m looking for user-friendly model, so that I don’t have to spend tons of hours to figure out how to program darn thing.

Alesis SR-18
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.co...hine?sku=703240

Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3

1. Yes, you should plug it in "CD in" on amp , or into speakers system you have on your PC, headphones etc...
2.Yes you can do that, depending if you want it mono or stereo (and its ability to output stereo) , I would recommend connecting it to left and right line inputs on your ux2.Then you select your sound source to line 1&2 in gearbox software and hit the record button in your recording software.
3. Both devices look very high quality...I don't know which one is better...Drum machine is a great practice tool to replace metronome!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Les Paul
Mar 7 2009, 03:39 AM
Thank you guys!

I'm definitely going to shop around eBay or Craigslist for a used one. Like mentioned, it's a better (& fun) replacement for metronome.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 7 2009, 03:41 AM
Instructor
Perhaps you could use your laptop ( if you have one )
and install some drum VST on it. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 7 2009, 09:58 PM
Instructor
Sure, I support the idea that Muris said. I think the VST plug in is cooler. And you can write everything you want the drums to play.
I think is a good option

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Les Paul
Mar 8 2009, 04:16 PM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Mar 7 2009, 04:58 PM) *
Sure, I support the idea that Muris said. I think the VST plug in is cooler. And you can write everything you want the drums to play.
I think is a good option

Software sounds like a smart choice. There are several out there including free ones. Software User Interface is lot friendlier to program than hardware ones. Here is an example I found:
http://www.acoustica.com/beatcraft/#examples

I will probably get a used hardware drum machine. I figure I should be able to buy one around $100 if I wait long enough wink.gif and then sell it off if I don't use it as much. It's seems like a better choice for me rather than lugging my laptop around everywhere.

Thank you guys again!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 8 2009, 04:23 PM
just make your own beats here... or use some of the other ones and piece them toghether

http://www.8notes.com/drum_riffs/default.asp

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 8 2009, 04:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
EZDrummer FTW! smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2009, 12:08 AM
Instructor
Software is a good and flexible solution, but if you wanna portability, drum machines can be excellent thing as well. Besides they usually have MIDI through so you can use them as a hardware MIDI drum module for your DAW anyway wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 9 2009, 12:35 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Also with software vstis that most sequencers come with a drum machine. For instance, Cubase has the LM1 that emulates the old Linn drum machine and Reason's is an emulation of the Roland TR808.

Hardware drum machines are more portable as Ivan says. With drum machines some of the things to watch for are - how easy is it to program, does it have multi outs (so you can send kick on one channel, snare on another etc), quality of the samples, samples expansion, no. of voices/multitimbral, no. of layers (everything at the same loudness or can you alter it), midi in, out and through...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Les Paul
Mar 11 2009, 07:31 PM
I ended up getting used Boss DR-3 drum machine for about $80 USD from Craigslist. When I first started using the machine, I was ready to throw out the thing, as I got so fed up on trying to figure out how to program it.

Eventually, I figured out how to match the “pre-canned” drum beats to my guitar bits and it works great. I changed guitar’s rhythm a little to work with it, and it’s so much more fun than practicing with metronome. I’m really happy with the purchase now.

Thank you everyone for suggestions!

Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 11 2009, 09:27 PM
Congrats on getting the drum machine..Boss should be a very good choice...Of course those machines are "complicated" to use, so I recommend that you study thoroughly the users manual to learn how to use it properly! smile.gif Once you do figure it out, it will be much more fun! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 12 2009, 12:36 AM
Instructor
That seems like a good deal to me mate, congratulations! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 12 2009, 10:51 PM
QUOTE (Les Paul @ Mar 8 2009, 04:16 PM) *
I will probably get a used hardware drum machine. I figure I should be able to buy one around $100 if I wait long enough wink.gif and then sell it off if I don't use it as much. It's seems like a better choice for me rather than lugging my laptop around everywhere.

Thank you guys again!

One more thing, VSTs are cool and everything but for me nothing beats the dedicated hardware machine..Especially these drum machines which are easy to carry around and are made for practicing....Programming a VSTs to do what you want can be slow and "turn of" sometimes when you're practicing...Especially need to be around PC can be annoying.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:46 AM