> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Neoclassical Solo For Beginners, Lesson By Emir Hot
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

MountainThistle
Jun 6 2015, 05:27 AM
GMC:er
Original lesson: Neoclassical Solo For Beginners by Emir Hot

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 6 2015, 06:09 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to find your take at REC!

I can hear new improvements compared with the last take you shared at the mentoring program thread. But here we usually see the glass half empty, haha, so here I go:

- Vibrato: This technique is evolving but you need to continue polishing it. It's good to make it wide, but you must be careful with pith since there are some moments where the pitch of the note is a bit off. Another thing to have in mind is the "groove" or "rhythm" of your band, that should go more natural with the backing, and also the width, that should grow more gradually. Just details to have in mind. Practicing over the original lesson can help.

- Dynamics: You are playing all the notes with the same intensity. Check how Emir accentuates some notes of the phrases to make the take more expressive.

For the curious, we are working with MountainThistle on this and some other lessons at this thread: LINK.

Keep on the great job!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 8 2015, 12:31 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi MountainThistle, I have checked out your take and here are my impressions. The most obvious detail that I'm noticing in your playing is that you are making small pauses in between two notes. This would be called staccato playing. I've made a bass lesson on this topic but the same technique and approach applies to guitar, check it out here. What you are doing is making a small pause then you are about to play and fret the next note. You lose the pressure applied to the fret of the previous note which kills the sustain of it, before you play the next note. Instead, you should keep the pressure on the vibrating string and note until you play the next one. The goal is to have a really smooth transition from one note to another. This will add a lot of fluidity to your playing and at this point based on this video, this is what you need the most to take your playing to the next step.

Back to the take on this lesson, my advice would be to concentrate on:

- Playing fluidly in a "legato" (connected) kind of way by focusing on smooth transitions from one note to the next one (compare section at 0:00-0:12 with the original instructor performance)

- Keeping the ending notes sustained longer to match the lesson (this is related to the above point, you just slightly cut those long notes short instead of flowing them directly to the next section/licks)

- Timing: there is a tendency to rush and play in front of the beat. Compare for example the section at at 0:22-0:32 ....with the instructor take. Notice how he plays slightly behind the beat (after the drums hit the kick drum or cymbals, just a bit "late"). This puts him in the pocket which sounds great for a laid back solo like this one.

- Last details: vibrato and bending. Ok, I know these two techniques are hard to master and take a lot of time so I'll just suggest concentrating on vibrato type used in this lesson (and trying to match its width and speed) as well as being precise with string bending in order to hit the correct pitch. Tone wise, you did a good job matching the character of Emir's tone in the lesson. Here I would suggest, lowering a bit of treble and maybe increasing mid frequencies to get some warmth in the sound. Also, the amp/patch you are using lacks in dynamics it seems (maybe there is some kind of compressor added to the signal chain? If so, turn it off.). You need dynamics to be able to play some notes louder and some softer and more quiet in order to make the solo sound more expressive.

Overall - this lesson features quite a few difficult details to work on and I'm glad you've chose to work on it as it will expose and then help you get over hurdles in your technique which in the end results in - progress! smile.gif You'll see that it is well worth it nailing this lesson perfect. Please PM me or post in my instructor board if you need any more details and help with mastering this lesson.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 8 2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor
To avoid repeating after guys above...

More strength from picking hand. That's what You need to get that wanted, mean tone for neoclassical playing. Type of distortion used in this take uncovers that the problem is in the picking hand. Very often we have to pick way above level we would use on a clean tone. Distortion lives it's own life. If You want to get that sharp, neoclassical sound, you need to take a close look at picking strength. Your tone has a nice countour - good match to the backing track but it sounds a bit flat. I would consider to leave that preset and keep working on what's mentioned above smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 9 2015, 06:51 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:11 AM