Another Brick In The Wall
Angelica
Feb 22 2008, 02:45 PM
GMC:er
Another girl in the forum!
hi everybody here... Keep rockin'!
What are you practicing now?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 22 2008, 02:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 22 2008, 08:45 AM) *

Welcome!
Practicing arpeggios now.. And you?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Angelica
Feb 22 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm having fun and getting some confidence with my BRAND NEW (ok, ok, second hand...) wah.
That's cool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 22 2008, 03:01 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 22 2008, 09:45 AM) *

Hey Angelica and again welcome to GMC. Great to see our female population growing smile.gif

As for what I'm practicing well I've been playing with my new toy...a PodXt...the last couple of days so I haven't started anything new this week. I've mostly just been playing around with different sounds, seeing what the ole Pod can do, and also trying to get the tones right on a few of my favourite lessons like Gabriels Muse and Alice and Chains style lessons. I've looked at Gabriels Judas Priest lesson and plan to try that out this weekend. I've been away a bit the last little while so my practice schedule has been a bit off....hope to rectify that also this weekend by getting back into my regular routine.

How about yourself? What lessons are you doing? I noticed you got a new Cry Baby wah....I have the Zakk Wylde one. Great piece of equipment. I have so much fun with it smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
Angelica
Feb 22 2008, 03:10 PM
Wow! Your wah should be cool. Mine is a plain ecb-24b from Dunlop but for me it seems to work great!
The lessons I am practicing now are Jerry's Hard Rock Rhythm and Gabriel's Rocker Riffs.

I was also having a look at "dropped d" lessons...but what's dropped d? (i'm a little ignorant :-D)

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 22 2008, 03:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 22 2008, 03:17 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 22 2008, 10:10 AM) *
Wow! Your wah should be cool. Mine is a plain ecb-24b from Dunlop but for me it seems to work great!
The lessons I am practicing now are Jerry's Hard Rock Rhythm.

Yeah I really like my wah. The sound is so crunchy. Playing certain stuff, like Bulls on Parade I wish it was a bit cleaner sounding but all in all I'm very happy with it. Jerry's Hard Rock Rhythm lesson is pretty cool....I have it bookmarked smile.gif So how long have you been playing guitar? I know you sing as well but did guitar before or was it as a result of your singing?

rok

Oh and Drop D is when you tune your E string (top string) to D leave all other strings in standard tuning. There are a few lessons in this tuning on GMC. Gabriel, Jerry, Marcus, Joe and Dejan all have lessons in drop d I think. I use this tuning quite a bit actually. Lots of songs I love to play are in this tuning. Everlong, Killing in the Name, the Beautiful People, Born of a Broken Man to name a few. I believe also in the Theory section there is a discussion as to how to tune/retune in Drop D.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Feb 22 2008, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 22 2008, 03:32 PM
Welcome to GMC, i'm sure everyone like myself will feel comfident that you'll be satisfied with the material that's offered here. Don't be afraid to ask any questions there's no such thing as a silly question when it comes to guitar smile.gif. Enjoy your Wah pedal smile.gif

+Quote Post
Angelica
Feb 22 2008, 03:38 PM
Well the naked truth ist that I have been playing guitar since I was 16... and I'm 26!! laugh.gif laugh.gif My first approach with an electric guitar was enthusiastic ( it was a terrible Yamaha Pacifica that's now in my mountain's house).. but my parents, at that time, really didn't want me to play, fearing that I was going to leave studies (they saw me all the time stuck to the guitar and not doing homeworks.. tongue.gif ) so they discouraged me very much, so that i have been wondering for years about my real possibilities and never had the right care to improve my way of playing. Another problem was that all the boys I played with, have always said to me that I wasn't supposed to play guitar, 'cos I'm a girl, etc. etc...."girls are not able to play guitar"...and things like that.... I tried not to listen to them but in the end I discouraged myself. So I have been blocked into my fears for years!! laugh.gif In the meantime I have been to University, one week ago I've finally got my graduation in sociology, now I think I paid my tribute to studies and can dedicate me to rock'n roll!
With regards to singing, it's different, you know, here in Italy a girl that sings isn't seen as weird as one that plays guitar! I sing since 9 years, now I am taking lessons from a lyric singer, and that has reaaaaallly improved my vocals. I like lyric because to my mind they're the only techniques which can make you have a real power vocal without damaging throat. To me, it's the ONLY valid singing technique and that's the one that I decided to practice.
However, my choice to play guitar and my choice to sing, are going toghether, they're all part of my way of living music and they both must be present in my life. I always loved to play and at the same time I adore to express my emotions singing. Moreover, I like to write and sing songs.
And what about you?

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 22 2008, 04:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Feb 22 2008, 03:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Angelica welcome to GMC smile.gif

Just been reading your blog and was sorry to hear you were discouraged from playing guitar sad.gif. Nevertheless you will get plenty of support and encouragement from the instructors and memebers and your playing will improve from the wide range of lessons that they have here.

I was wondering what your influences are both on guitar and singing?

look forward to hearing your contributions.

Enjoy..smile.gif

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Angelica
Feb 22 2008, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Crazyfret @ Feb 22 2008, 03:58 PM) *
I was wondering what your influences are both on guitar and singing?

yeah I love this forum 'cause it looks like a great place to learn in... "From zero to hero" eheh so looking forward to become an heroin biggrin.gif

I still think it's to early too find really some infuences on my guitar playing, anyway, my favourite guitarists are Mark Knopfler, Joe Satriani, Slash, obviously Jimi cool.gif Another guitarist that I appreciate very much is John Norum from Europe.

My influences for the voice are various.
I started singing rock at 12 or 13 listening to 4 non blondes, I loved Linda Perry's voice and probably that's been my first influence. Then I listened a lot to Patti Smith, Janis Joplin and (talking about years ago) other more commercial singers as Skin, Dolores O' Riordan and Anouk.
Now my main influences are from Aretha Franklin, Martha Reeves and all the other black goddeses of blues, and italian singer Mina. (Oops, and recently, I have to add Maria Callas or my teacher beats me!! biggrin.gif) But who's seen me on stage always recognizes a big influence from Axl Rose - That's probably true, I adore Guns! To me Axl was one of the best male voices ever, perhaps after Freddie Mercury.
There are other male voices I like, just as Kurt Cobain, Cris Cornell or Eddie Vedder, or Jim Morrison himself, but Axl and Freddie are more likely to be suong by my voice smile.gif

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 22 2008, 04:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 22 2008, 04:17 PM
^Yep, Slash rules cool.gif Axl, not so much dry.gif

At the moment, I am practicing speedpicking, sweeping, legato, and tapping. I have about three or four hours a day to dedicate to it. smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 22 2008, 04:26 PM
GMC Founder
Hi Angelica - I am currently playing the most boring excercises imaginable to deal with my bad habits. It's really effective as I focus on the picking movements (etc) which I have most problems with - but once again not the most inspiring kind of practcing! dry.gif By the end of the practice session it's worth it though, as a new level always is around the corner with this kind of practcing! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 22 2008, 04:34 PM
Instructor
hey, welcome Angelica !!! It's great to seen a new girl here wink.gif

+Quote Post
Angelica
Feb 22 2008, 04:35 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 22 2008, 04:26 PM) *
Hi Angelica - I am currently playing the most boring excercises imaginable to deal with my bad habits. By the end of the practice session it's worth it though, as a new level always is around the corner with this kind of practcing! biggrin.gif

That's sooooooo true!!
And bad habits, that's really it! One must accept that playing is not only having fun with guitar but also lots of exercices for the fingers! Same thing that m former guitar teacher always tells me! Pentathonic, Major and cromathic scale, at least 2 hours a day! biggrin.gif
Same thing happens with voice, one gets started without exercising technique, and then gets damaged vocal chords dry.gif exercise is the key for everything, i think

p.s. Hi Juan Valero, I've seen you in the other post of mine as well smile.gif it's always me!

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 22 2008, 04:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 22 2008, 04:45 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hey Welcome to the forum! smile.gif

Im practicing, pretty much always, infinite amounts of Tapping, Alternate Picking, 8 Finger Tapping (Its so hard!), and my favorite, Sweeping (finally start to progress on 6 strings smile.gif )

Hope you enjoy your stay here wink.gif

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 22 2008, 04:53 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 22 2008, 09:45 AM) *
(finally start to progress on 6 strings smile.gif )

Damn you! I can barely do five sad.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 22 2008, 06:46 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Angelica @ Feb 22 2008, 10:38 AM) *
Well the naked truth ist that I have been playing guitar since I was 16... and I'm 26!! laugh.gif laugh.gif My first approach with an electric guitar was enthusiastic ( it was a terrible Yamaha Pacifica that's now in my mountain's house).. but my parents, at that time, really didn't want me to play, fearing that I was going to leave studies (they saw me all the time stuck to the guitar and not doing homeworks.. tongue.gif ) so they discouraged me very much, so that i have been wondering for years about my real possibilities and never had the right care to improve my way of playing. Another problem was that all the boys I played with, have always said to me that I wasn't supposed to play guitar, 'cos I'm a girl, etc. etc...."girls are not able to play guitar"...and things like that.... I tried not to listen to them but in the end I discouraged myself. So I have been blocked into my fears for years!! laugh.gif In the meantime I have been to University, one week ago I've finally got my graduation in sociology, now I think I paid my tribute to studies and can dedicate me to rock'n roll!
With regards to singing, it's different, you know, here in Italy a girl that sings isn't seen as weird as one that plays guitar! I sing since 9 years, now I am taking lessons from a lyric singer, and that has reaaaaallly improved my vocals. I like lyric because to my mind they're the only techniques which can make you have a real power vocal without damaging throat. To me, it's the ONLY valid singing technique and that's the one that I decided to practice.
However, my choice to play guitar and my choice to sing, are going toghether, they're all part of my way of living music and they both must be present in my life. I always loved to play and at the same time I adore to express my emotions singing. Moreover, I like to write and sing songs.
And what about you?

Ahh the old "girls can't play" arguement. I recently had an experience with this issue. (I posted a topic on it actually about stereotypes) Very aggrivating and I'm sorry to hear you were a victim of this as well. Glad to see your proving them wrong now though smile.gif You certainly seem to be on pace to meet your goals musically which is awesome. You have some great musical influences too girl both guitar and vocally. Knopfler is a genious and well no one sings quite like Axl that's for sure.

As for me well I've only been playing for 2.5 yrs actually. I always wanted to play but in my younger years I was more focused on my athletics then anything else. I decided however when I was 28 that I'd learn to play something on the guitar before I turned 30. I'll be 31 in April and the guitar has taken over my life. I wish I started playing sooner but I'm doing my best to make up for lost time. It's hard as my job is pretty demanding and life in general is pretty hectic around my house but I try to spend what spare time I have with my six strings. This site has helped me improve so much between the lessons, forum and just the great people on here. As for influences Page, Morello, Iommi, Clapton, Knopfler the list goes on and on really, but Page and Morello would certainly get top billing for me.

rok

PS: You'll soon come to realise that the forum is very addictive. There is just so much great stuff on here. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Feb 22 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi there and welcome to the forums smile.gif

Just finished practicing some sweeping arpeggios, and now I'm playing Opeth's Ending Credits... smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:59 PM