2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Satriani Gives Some Advice
Daniel Robinson
Jul 28 2009, 03:07 AM
Instructor
I would totally agree with Satch's statements in this video.

Muris sensei is also correct that being a musician means making music, not practicing scales. The guitar and the scales are just tools...a means to an end.

I think all instructors here would agree that what we want for all of you is the tools to make music happen in your life.

We can give you the tools, and nudge you in the right direction, but its up to you what to do with it.

Making music cannot be taught, only the tools for creating it can be taught.

So back on topic, Joe is absolutely right about being honest with yourself, but also dont get bogged down with scales and chords.

So what if you only know 2 scales and a few chords, take what you know and write something with it. You might be surprised what even a little knowledge can produce. It can also help you see the big picture about music too

Daniel

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jul 28 2009, 03:41 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Jul 27 2009, 10:07 PM) *

Muris sensei is also correct that being a musician means making music, not practicing scales. The guitar and the scales are just tools...a means to an end.

I think all instructors here would agree that what we want for all of you is the tools to make music happen in your life.

We can give you the tools, and nudge you in the right direction, but its up to you what to do with it.

So back on topic, Joe is absolutely right about being honest with yourself, but also dont get bogged down with scales and chords.

So what if you only know 2 scales and a few chords, take what you know and write something with it. You might be surprised what even a little knowledge can produce. It can also help you see the big picture about music too

Daniel

I completely agree with this and love to read your comments in the posts.

When I was younger, learning, playing with bands on stage all I new was the music I could hear in my head. Didn't no theory ( that's probably not a good thing) but I played what I felt and tried to make the people listening feel it to. This is just as important to work on as playing scales, learning theory or what ever.

Don't be a robot player just trying to show off all the time with crazy fast licks. Your only crowd will be guitar players and that's a small percentage of your fan base. Play from the heart and everyone will listen.

Skillet

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jul 28 2009, 04:19 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Heard it before, but after I hear it, I feel the urge to really see what I've been doing lately o.O

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 28 2009, 06:36 AM
GMC:er
I took something very helpful from Victor Wooten. He really made philosophy from music. He says that for him, music is a language. Techniques, theory, equipment, etc, are all words. But, to comunicate with other people, we must learn to mix these "words" and make phrases, so, we can comunicate with other people. Of course that if we want to be well known, we have to talk about all types of topics (genres in music) and we have to be original, so the people will pay atenttion to what we're saying. Very useful words for me

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 29 2009, 08:00 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey thanks for sharing this video...Words of wisdom there...

@Santiago

Yeah Victor Wooten got a really good philosophy about music, its really honest and I see it true.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 29 2009, 10:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Jul 28 2009, 04:07 AM) *

Daniel

I missed your posting man smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:00 AM