Speaker Simulators, need help
maharzan
Jun 19 2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey Guys,

I just saw few videos on YouTube that speaker simulators really do a great job in furnishing a great tone. I have triaxis preamp and while I have hears 2:90 is the magic for triaxis tone, its not possible for me to get a 2:90 at the moment not a 4x12. But since it looks like I will be more of a bedroom guitarist, I can't afford to have them anyway. So, to give justice to my tone and my triaxis, I am thinking of getting a speaker simulator such as the Palmer PDI 03. I have heard good things about it and tone really clears up with this unit. I have also seen people using Revalver Mk II for the purpose (this is digital software).

So, those of you who have experience in using speaker simulators, please help me choose one to get that awesome tone! smile.gif

http://www.palmer-germany.com/81-1-pdi03.html

Thanks so much!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 19 2010, 08:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
A speaker simulator gives you the load of a speaker for recording purposes, a lot of pro's actually use them in live situations into the front of house too with great success including Joe Bonamassa, Keith Richards etc, these guys all use the Palmer PDI.
Another one to look out for is the sequis motherlode, probably not as well thought of as the palmer (Palmer have been around for years) but the sequis has more features that may suit home recording rather than live/studio use. What power amp are you running with the tri-axis at the moment? Dont forget the palmer is only a speaker emulatorso you still need an amp load for it.

Software is a different thing entirely mate, there are some excellent software packages around, the new Amplitube 3 is very good and in all honesty it may suit your needs better than both the palmer and the tri-axis, seems a lot of overkill to have a Tri-axis just for bedroom use!

some links:

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars...r-239324/review

http://www.motherload.co.uk/

Joe waxing lyrical about his palmers....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jun 19 2010, 09:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
Peavey Revalver as well as Guitar Rig 4 and probably Amplitube 3 all uses a software technique with convolution reverbs to simulate speaker responses. In fact Revalver uses the convolution reverbs from Recabinet, of which I wrote an article about in the WIKI boue 6 months ago. (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Recabinet_Computer_Speaker_Emulator) I've tried this, and its the cheapest and best possible software solution available by my means. You dont get any bells and whistles - just the speaker emulation, but for some 60 bucks You can get very close to Your amps original sound without killing the neighbours. (if there's a line out of course)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 19 2010, 10:28 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks guys for your explanations. I will read through them.

I got the Triaxis as I was fed up of Digital sound.. too fuzzy for my ears. I love the tube tone, although could have got other tube amps, it wasn't just feasible as big ones couldn't be imported here. I can't get 2:90 or 2x12 cab that I am thinking of getting but again, these will definitely be out of question if I m to remain a bedroom guitarist and just record some songs. Its a huge invest anyway. So, I just thought probably instead of just recording triaxis direct which I have been doing for now, I wanted to use a speaker simulator to get that richness of a sound. I tried the Revalver demo (just the convolution speaker simulation) and I can already tell you I am getting that rich sound. Do we still need a 2:90 ?

I don't want to get back to digital effects or invest in any because I have already done so to get that tube sound. I have heard great things about AxeFX but I can't afford another 2000$ unit at this point. I know I have one of the greatest units of times and its MESA for a name so I hope I can get my sweet tone out of this.

And yes, I am really after simple setup. I hate tonnes of knobs and possibilities in digital softwares or even 3 channel amps. Thats why I am leaning towards the PDI 03. Just simple knobs and you get the sound you need. smile.gif

I am looking to produce songs in future thats why I am collecting these great gears instead of just spending bits and pieces on digital gears and having to buy new versions (which are better) all the time.. smile.gif So, it will not just be bedroom practices.

And I haven't been using any speakers (don't have any at this point) so just using it to record via headphones. So, its not an overkill for bedroom use I guess. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2010, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
I've recorded using a SANSAMP rack unit that was impressive. I was skeptical about it until I heard it through the mains. The SansAmp rack stuff, their pro line, is a bit more than the smaller ones but they do sound great smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 20 2010, 07:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
Dont forget mate an emulator will need an amp load, not sure on the palmers but the sequis gear needs a matched impedance so im pretty sure you cant run your tri-axis straight into it unless im mistaken!
You could also look at isolation cabs, there are some great ones about with built in mics for recording, have a link....

http://www.rivera.com/products/silentsister/silentsister.php

Beauty of an iso cab is that you can change mics, mic positions and most crucially the actual speaker to get different tones, a lot of peopl overloof the effect speaker choice has on a sound.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 20 2010, 09:18 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thats pretty bad then. I was trying to bypass having to get 2:90 at this point. Theres just so many to choose from. smile.gif

I will just stick to what I have and probably use a free cab simulator as I like the new tone I discovered.

Thanks.

Also considering, I will just get an AxeFx at some point and get rid of having too many gears.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2010, 01:21 AM
Instructor
Getting AxeFX may seem like best option of all. For now, you don't really have to buy anything, you can use any convolution (impulse response) cabinet simulator you can find. Straight from Triaxis to software and through cab simulator. If you happen to own ReValver MKIII, it has IR emulator. ReCabinet is good alternative like Staffy recommended. Palmer is great, but it's better to save money for AxeFX. If budget is not an issue - getting Palmer and AxeFX after that could work as ideal solution too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 28 2010, 06:45 PM
Instructor
his tone is spectacular!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Aug 21 2010, 06:35 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
I'm also looking for a cab simulator to connect a Preamp. The Palmer PDI-03 needs a power amp, that you can't afford. But the PDI-09 can be directly connected to a preamp. I didn't test it, but some reviews seem to tell it's a good choice. And it's not too expensive : 82 €. Here is a link : palmergear.com
Does anyone know this PDI-09 ?

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Aug 21 2010, 06:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
Oh, this is very interesting. Just as a side question for me (sorry): I can take my Head, plug it into a speaker emulator, and thus record silently into my DAW, easy as that? smile.gif Thanks!

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Aug 21 2010, 07:17 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Aug 21 2010, 07:46 PM) *
Oh, this is very interesting. Just as a side question for me (sorry): I can take my Head, plug it into a speaker emulator, and thus record silently into my DAW, easy as that? smile.gif Thanks!

Not really with the PDI-09. Because if you plug a power amp, you have to plug it to your cabinet via the thru jack. But it will work with the PDI-03 because it has a dummy load. But it is a lot more expensive (339 €).

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Aug 21 2010, 07:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Aug 21 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Not really with the PDI-09. Because if you plug a power amp, you have to plug it to your cabinet via the thru jack. But it will work with the PDI-03 because it has a dummy load. But it is a lot more expensive (339 €).

Ah, thank you very much, that is very interesting! (feels like selling my gt-pro and buy a PDI-03) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Aug 21 2010, 09:54 PM
Instructor
You can also take a look at the Red Box from H&K

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=110

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:13 AM