A Student Of Mine In Japan
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2021, 04:08 AM
GMC:er
I also teach English online in addition to teaching guitar and one of my students is a professional piano player in Japan. She's great and recently did a recording with a singer who is evidently the daughter of the composer who did the score for THE LAST EMPEROR which is one of my fave movies of it's time. Small world. Here she is on her most recent release. It was recorded live in half a day. No second takes, one take per song, live to tape/disc. No pressure eh? Her name is Mamiko Hirai

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 27 2021, 11:13 AM
Learning Tone Master
Japanese are phenomenal in whatever they do; they put so much effort and practice into whatever they love doing!

Lovely song Todd, thanks for the share smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 27 2021, 11:30 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 27 2021, 03:08 AM) *
It was recorded live in half a day. No second takes, one take per song, live to tape/disc. No pressure eh? Her name is Mamiko Hirai

It's actually very standard approach for jazz and classical musicians. In fact, because the sessions are so short they can afford to use extremely nice studio's. Not using the recording magic of takes, copy/paste has its benefits musically.

I have watched that Japan (oddly) has a huge problem with teaching English in their education system and they outsource good teachers a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2021, 11:01 PM
Spot on!! That's exactly what she has told me. You have keen insights in the Japanese production method and their english learning. it seems that this type of recording is very common and allows for zero mistakes and has to be done in half a day as the first half is promo press shoots and then half a day to record and one pass for each song. No pressure eh?

Also it's more rare than I thought for native english speakers to get a job in public schools in japan. They have native speakers in private english teaching schools but not in regular public schools.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 27 2021, 06:30 AM) *
It's actually very standard approach for jazz and classical musicians. In fact, because the sessions are so short they can afford to use extremely nice studio's. Not using the recording magic of takes, copy/paste has its benefits musically.

I have watched that Japan (oddly) has a huge problem with teaching English in their education system and they outsource good teachers a lot.

Thanks for checking it out!! smile.gif She is amazing and the other two are as well!! You nailed it about their level of perfection. She told me they did an entire album in half a day with one take per song. Wow. No mistakes allowed. The level of perfection they strive for is astounding.

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 27 2021, 06:13 AM) *
Japanese are phenomenal in whatever they do; they put so much effort and practice into whatever they love doing!

Lovely song Todd, thanks for the share smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2021, 11:50 PM
Here is my student (Mamiko Hirai) playing "Shining Girl" live. This is the track that is released as a single from the recording I shared originally in the firs post. This track was made in 2012 and the vocals were added in 2021 for the recording in the OP.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 28 2021, 06:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing.. I'd be no good in a Japanese studio with one take power song, I usually do twenty takes for REC rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2021, 07:22 AM
Glad you dug it! She's amazing smile.gif I know what you mean! One take? For an Album? I'd give it a shot, but man, one slip and the entire schedule is thrown off. No pressure smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 28 2021, 01:11 AM) *
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing.. I'd be no good in a Japanese studio with one take power song, I usually do twenty takes for REC rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 28 2021, 03:51 PM
Out here, movie and VG soundtracks when/if they use real musicians, especially anything orchestral, are done that way.
You walk in, set up, somebody puts a stack of charts on your music stand, the conductor gets everyone's attention and you start.
Since no one's actually seen the music beforehand except for the composer and the conductor there is usually one 'run through' of each cue (piece) and then it's recorded.
The studio is not really the big expense, it's the musicians. For general TV, film, VG work the players are making slightly more than $100 per hour. Most of those sessions are what's known as "double sessions" - two, 3 hour blocks. Occasionally, if it's a massive orchestral soundtrack ala Star Wars, they'll record over two or possibly three days.
Time is money.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 28 2021, 04:10 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 5 2021, 02:25 AM
Come to find out her husband is also a Japanese Pop Star. here is one of his songs as well. There is an entire music economy in Japan that is rarely exported. I was way into a japanese group called XJAPAN a bit back and it was hard to find anyone whod heard of them. The internet changed it to some degree, but not entirely.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 28 2021, 10:51 AM) *
Out here, movie and VG soundtracks when/if they use real musicians, especially anything orchestral, are done that way.
You walk in, set up, somebody puts a stack of charts on your music stand, the conductor gets everyone's attention and you start.
Since no one's actually seen the music beforehand except for the composer and the conductor there is usually one 'run through' of each cue (piece) and then it's recorded.
The studio is not really the big expense, it's the musicians. For general TV, film, VG work the players are making slightly more than $100 per hour. Most of those sessions are what's known as "double sessions" - two, 3 hour blocks. Occasionally, if it's a massive orchestral soundtrack ala Star Wars, they'll record over two or possibly three days.
Time is money.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:07 PM