Rhythm Frustration
DethKlok
Mar 29 2008, 03:41 PM
GMC:er
Hey, guys I'm pretty new here. I really like this site, and as soon as I subscribed, I've become very motivated to become skilled with a guitar - playing around 3-4 hours a day, sometimes more. However, I get quite frustrated sometimes because I don't naturally have a good sense of rhythm, and despite all that practice (with a metronome), it doesn't seem to be improving a whole lot. It seems to get better within each individual practice session, but then the next day it's like I'm at square one. I'm starting to think I'm just not cut out for music, but not ready to give up just yet. Has anyone here experienced something similar when they were starting? Does your sense of rhythm increase with lots of practice, even if it's pretty terrible to begin with? Just tell me if I should quit wasting my time or not. laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 29 2008, 03:50 PM
Instructor
Of course, you're absolutely right. You practice your rhythm as you go along, just like everything else. Don't worry if you see no progress at the moment - no of us do - but in a long run the progress is clearly visible.

I suggest you take your time and get very familiar with different timings. Also it is very important to know different note time values. If you have the most troubles with this , check out Andrew's theory board and make some exercises for rhythm alone, like practicing only quarters, eights, sixteen notes, and then combine them slowly. Don' try to do some heavy left hand techniques, just focus on counting the notes and it will all come to you very effectively.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Mar 29 2008, 05:22 PM
Just from my experience here, don't mention that you aren't cut out for it or Kris will eat you....

It may not seem like it but you will get better. Just go with Ivan's advice and you'll get there.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 29 2008, 05:24 PM
I think something as simple as playing along with songs will help.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 29 2008, 05:26 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Did anybody say timings?

Check out Muris's timing lesson- its great! http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...iming-exercise/

Feeling a rhythm can be frustating at first- understanding how different note durations compare to one another is quite essential- just by knowing how many notes per beat a certain note duration is can be a huge leap forward!

+Quote Post
DethKlok
Mar 29 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks Ivan and the rest of you for your comments. I guess I just needed to hear that other people struggle with this at first too, and I'm not biologically doomed. laugh.gif

Muris's timing lesson looks really cool like all of his stuff. Thanks for the recommendation, Deep.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 29 2008, 06:18 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (DethKlok @ Mar 29 2008, 05:15 PM) *
Thanks for the recommendation, Deep.

no problem man, post back if you feel you advance further on this topic at any point cool.gif

+Quote Post
DethKlok
Mar 31 2008, 06:50 AM
Now, I can see that I actually am improving nicely. The problem turned out to be that I had gotten cocky and stopped using a metronome for a few days. Then when I tried playing a new song to a metronome, I was off, so I despaired (prematurely it would seem). Now I'm back on the click and all is well.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 2 2008, 02:35 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (DethKlok @ Mar 31 2008, 07:50 AM) *
Now, I can see that I actually am improving nicely. The problem turned out to be that I had gotten cocky and stopped using a metronome for a few days. Then when I tried playing a new song to a metronome, I was off, so I despaired (prematurely it would seem). Now I'm back on the click and all is well.

Glad to hear that man.....practesing with a metronome can be hard and boring...but you should not give it up...he can improve your natural feel for rhythm ...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Apr 2 2008, 03:18 PM
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Apr 2 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Glad to hear that man.....practesing with a metronome can be hard and boring...but you should not give it up...he can improve your natural feel for rhythm ...

Since when is metronome a he?

Just kidding man laugh.gif

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:27 AM