2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Low-cost Studio Diy
dcz702
Jun 22 2013, 10:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I love this post! Your studio is so perfectly done and so well organized. As I'm looking at adding hardware to my very basic setup I started looking at new desk to accommodate the need for more real estate. Some of the desks out there are way to pricey. After visiting your web site it not impossible to do myself I don't have power tools though. Maybe purchasing tools neccasarry would still be cheaper than buying a desk, and I would get tools for future use out of it to. How long would you say a person with little knowledge of power tool would take to complete a project for a desktop table.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jun 22 2013, 10:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 22 2013, 11:17 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Just a couple of suggestions/comments that may help anyone looking to do a DIY:

Bass trapping can sometimes be improved by placing the trap at an angle in the corner. Also, use high density glass fibre (as I think you've done) as foam doesn't work for bass traps. The glass fibre needs to be layered often to a depth of 6' or more'.

Monitor placement - I tend to repeat this a lot but siting monitors on the meter bridge will more often than not result in comb filtering and odd reflections. Having said that most home studios will use small 2 ways that also need to be sited near to a wall in order that the port can fire at it to emphasise the bass. The consequence is that the monitor nearly always ends up on the bridge. So is there a solution? Well kind of. It's not ideal but better than nothing - move the monitor as far forward on the bridge as possible and if you can put them on some form of hgh density acoustic foam foam shock recoil. The shock recoil will help isolate the monitors from the bridge and may also angle them up slightly and help reduce filtering. With ported two ways you should also consider closing up the port with acoustic foam.

Also monitors and listening position - the monitors should be equi-distant from the side walls to help prevent timing issues. The ideal monitoring position is at the apex of an equilateral triangle, with your ear level with the tweeter for a 2 way.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Jun 22 2013, 11:22 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
bobg
Jun 23 2013, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 22 2013, 09:01 AM) *
I love this post! Your studio is so perfectly done and so well organized. As I'm looking at adding hardware to my very basic setup I started looking at new desk to accommodate the need for more real estate. Some of the desks out there are way to pricey. After visiting your web site it not impossible to do myself I don't have power tools though. Maybe purchasing tools neccasarry would still be cheaper than buying a desk, and I would get tools for future use out of it to. How long would you say a person with little knowledge of power tool would take to complete a project for a desktop table.

I have actually been told by one guy that he built my desk in 2-hours.
I'd say within a day or 2.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:39 AM