I Gave A Guitar A New Lease Of Life This Week
Sam Young
Mar 16 2012, 07:42 PM
GMC:er
We have a local open air market that comes to our local shopping centre every week. Things like a butcher's stall, a baker's stall, greetings cards and wrapping paper stalls, but with a couple of... well, I guess you can call them 'amateur' stalls, that sell a bit of everything. I like to poke around (I like to support local produce too)

So as I was wandering around the 'amateur' stalls, I see a Les Paul-style guitar, with no strings, no machine heads, no pickups, electrics were effed, half the dials are missing... in fact, the only thing it had going for it was the fact that the nice sunburst finish was not too tarnished, despite being really dirty and dusty. It was going for £35, so I bought it.

The next day I took it to my friend (who plays) and had him look at it. He said the neck wasn't warped, and with some love she'd play again. I took it to Bonners, my local music store, bought all the bits I'd need gave it a damn good cleaning, fitted the new parts and took it to be rewired, then gave it a nice polish.

I spent all afternoon yesterday stringing her and tuning her, and I look forward to practicing hard on her.

The pic is a result of 3 days love and attention, and has yielded a nice new guitar for me. Every player should own a Les Paul style guitar, right?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sam Young: Mar 16 2012, 07:45 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Ben Higgins
Mar 16 2012, 07:56 PM
Instructor
Hey, nice job !!

I see a hairbrush and a can of Lynx.. is this part of the guitar's make over ? cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sam Young
Mar 16 2012, 08:19 PM
Heh, I'd just come home from work and emptied my motorcycle bag next to it when I took the picture.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 16 2012, 09:51 PM
What P/ups did you put in it?
Looks great for a doer-upper especially for that price!!!!
I've done this a lot for friends over the years!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Mar 16 2012, 10:39 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Sam Young
Mar 18 2012, 10:17 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 16 2012, 08:51 PM) *
What P/ups did you put in it?
Looks great for a doer-upper especially for that price!!!!
I've done this a lot for friends over the years!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Pretty basic ones, as with all the parts. I didn't see the need to spring for expensive parts when I'm not even a month into playing yet. I told that to the guy in the shop and he just took me to th workshop in the back and picked the parts out of big boxes of them.

Might have been a different story if I was a more experienced player. Who knows, I might even put better parts on this guitar in a year or so time when I play can basic chords at a faster tempo than 30bpm. tongue.gif I'm getting there in my own time.

This post has been edited by Sam Young: Mar 18 2012, 10:19 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 19 2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor
Hey Sam! Nice work man! I love to see people doing things with their own hands and willpower! May you enjoy the sweetest tunes playing it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 19 2012, 02:29 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It's looking great man, enjoy! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:42 AM